Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryMagic

Magic to retain Brian Hill regardless of playoffs

Nah, I've read them. I just see too many teams punting coach after coach and Wow! Suddenly the team gets better when the players finally grow up! Neat!

Maturity counts. How old was Jordan when he won his first championship? Shaq? The recent Detroit team? Yeah, it's been discussed, and I still say the Magic are one Bruce Bowen or Tayshawn Prince player (one that can shut down anyone from 1-4) away from a championship.

Also, it wouldn't hurt if Jameer were a little less like his idol AI, and more like an assist machine that takes his shot when needed (check out the top teams in the league and count how many of them have PGs that are hoisting up 20 shots a game).

Some of that's on Brian, and I'm not arguing that, but some of it is also youth and the Magic are a VERY young team.

NAh - Thats all on Brian Hill. If you can't tell your point guard to focus on passing rather than shooting then you have no control of your players. Getting players to play according to the role you set for them is coaching 101 and terribly easy to fix - "you either focus on passing or you eat some bench"

The maturity counts argument is too simplistic to be real. Growing up on the court has to do with being molded not just the passing of years.

I'll use the Gators football program as an example (since it's been used before). When Zook was there they were very inconsistant and found ways to lose games. Most of that was due to poor coaching decisions (for example playing not to lose in games they had leads). The atheletic department could have stuck with the guy and given him time but it was painfully obvious that he didn't have what it takes. He was removed and 2yrs later with basically the same personel Myer wins a National Championship.

I'm not saying the Magic are a coach away from a title, they do need to grow up but I feel the coach is also not helping the situation. If I saw any improvement over the past 2 seasons, or even over this season I would feel differently but, I don't.

This team is not playing for this coach anymore, I don't think time can fix that, and frankly I haven't seen anything impressive enough to want to make this situation work. The lack of attention to offense is very troubling.

quote:
Growing up on the court has to do with being molded not just the passing of years.

Agreed. At some point it's about competition and wanting to win. Age has nothing to do with that.

quote:
The maturity counts argument is too simplistic to be real. Growing up on the court has to do with being molded not just the passing of years.

Okay, that I can agree with. Personally, I think Scott Skiles would be an ideal coach for this (what should be) defensively-minded team. I think Jameer should be riding the bench until he learns to pass a bit more. AI scored so much because he was the only player on his team that could. Jameer can't say the same thing.

But you're right that some of that is coaching.

So barring Scott Skiles deciding that he wants to return to the Magic, who do you think would make a good replacement for Hill? Brian's certainly not the best coach in the league, but I do say give him a little time to get his system off the ground.

I'd say see what happens when G. Hill's gone, and see who he's replaced with. I'm a huge fan of Grant as a person, but as a Magic player, he's cost a few coaches their jobs and a few Magic team's a shot at anything great.

This one's getting a little long-winded, but I'd say the problems are all across the board, not just on the coach.

There are some very good coaches out there. Rich Adelman and Stan van Gundy always pop into my head. I heard Bill Laimbeer's name as well and think he would be a very good choice as well.

You're right there are other problems than just the coach. However if you can fix the big problem then alot of the smaller problems fix themselves. Do you treat the illness or just the symptoms?

I personally think the problem is the same problem the Magic have had since '89: the owners. When Shaq and Grant said they'd (half-jokingly?) buy the team, I cheered out loud.

I think the Magic should grab Scott Skiles and his family and smuggle them back to Florida.

The Magic had the chance a couple of years ago. Skiles wanted to coach here but ownership opted to go in a different direction.

And I'm in total agreement about Laimbeer - that would be a good fit: feed Dwight and Darko some low-post, defensive close-line techniques. Those two are too nice.

The Magic need a new coach that most of us agree on. Point in case, the Pistons win the Cahmpionship the year they hired Larry Brown, they were a good team before but couldn't get it done, until Brown came in. The Magic are a good team with no leadership on the floor or on the bench. Fire Hill and hire a new coach.

quote:
But you're right that some of that is coaching.

Really hate it when people try to change what I write. No we are not in agreement. ALL of that is coaching not some (some is your point not mine). If you have a PG that won't focus on passing you take him out to the shed and explain life to him. If he doesn't listen you bench him you don't give him the green light to keep throwing up bricks. Its all coaching nada else.

quote:
but I do say give him a little time to get his system off the ground.

That has no real meaning. First you have to identify his system (can you?) second you have to look and see how its worked last year and this year. Systems that stink are not going to get better because you give them more time. At the end of the day its just another argument that time will heal things. Time doesn't heal things medicine and rest does.

quote:
I'm a huge fan of Grant as a person, but as a Magic player, he's cost a few coaches their jobs and a few Magic team's a shot at anything great.

I can see some disenchantment with Grant but trying to pin the magic's situation on Grant is nonsense and particularly when you are begging for Hill to have more time - Pure nonsense. Grant can't put himself in the games and can has and will come off the bench. So the answer is Bogans? because you would not see much of Reddick anyway. If you had another SG instead of Hill at the beginning of this year thats who you would see no matter how bad he is because Bhill doesn't like playing rookies.

quote:
This one's getting a little long-winded, but I'd say the problems are all across the board, not just on the coach.

Well anyone can say anything the thing is do objective facts back you up? They don't. Even with young talent this is the Eastern conference and the Magic should be better than tenth on their way to being worse.

The "all across the board" thing is just a defense of Bhill really. takes the heat off for him. Can't even be true. You blame Dwight? Aziza? Reddick? Darko? Because most would say 3 of those should have been starting LONG ago and many would say all four should be starting or at least playing significant minutes. Guess whose ALL responsible for that not being the case?