Sign in to follow this  
Beast From The East

Jameer Nelson - Leadership

Leadership is BS. If the Magic had Damian Lillard playing point guard, they wouldn't be complaining about his lack of leadership. They'd be excited that he's having a great rookie season.

I like Jameer as much as the next guy, but do any of you really believe that he's making the young guys play better because he's a good leader?

Leadership is BS.

Tell that to the teams who have been stuck in the lottery year upon year acquiring talented players but lacking the veterans and leaders to help nurture those young guys. There's a reason the Wizards traded for Nene and Okafor.

Tell that to the teams who have been stuck in the lottery year upon year acquiring talented players but lacking the veterans and leaders to help nurture those young guys. There's a reason the Wizards traded for Nene and Okafor.

You might want to think about about who you're replying to

Solid Video Beast.

As alot of us have pointed to in Nelson, is the guy is just pure heart. And the leadership qualities Nelson has makes him a very valuable asset to any young squad. Nelson had a good start with working along with Dwight and trying to lead him, But Dwight is "unleadable".... to much ego to see over his own feces.

I think LOD had a great post on Nelson, really going at length to what he means to the Orlando Magic from when he was drafted until now.

Im glad to still have Mighty Mouse on our team, I think his leadership will become contagious and bode well for our future players.

I agree with Brooks Thompson. If I had to pick a veteran team leader, it would be Glen Davis. Jameer is a player on the Magic team who does not show up every game. I believe in the saying, "action speaks louder than words."

I didn't say that Glen is consistent (scoring-wise), but he hustles game in and game out. Since Glen's injury, I don't see that kind of hustle from anyone else on the team, except AA. What happened to the up-tempo style of play that the Magic talked about and demonstrated in their first couple of wins at the beginning of the season.

On offensive possessions, Jameer has resorted to walking the ball up the court and coming to a halt, after crossing half court, to set up plays. This gives the other team time to set up their defense.

And let's not stop there! Even if Jameer is firing on all cylinders (on a given night), he allows opposing point guards to blow right past him. He sometimes has to commit fouls to try to stop them from scoring.

On defense, we have no one in the center boxing out or bodying up to prevent the opposing teams' centers from scoring. Even though Glen is undersized, when he was healthy, he gave up his body in the middle and helped to prevent opposing centers from getting easy shots.

As the supposed LEADER of the Magic, Jameer turns the ball over too much. Demonstrating to your young teammates the dynamics of playing the game of basketball is more important than being a pretender before the cameras with a lot of lip service.

So, no, Jameer is not a leader (in my opinion)

I agree with Brooks Thompson. If I had to pick a veteran team leader, it would be Glen Davis. Jameer is a player on the Magic team who does not show up every game. I believe in the saying, "action speaks louder than words."

I didn't say that Glen is consistent (scoring-wise), but he hustles game in and game out. Since Glen's injury, I don't see that kind of hustle from anyone else on the team, except AA. What happened to the up-tempo style of play that the Magic talked about and demonstrated in their first couple of wins at the beginning of the season.

On offensive possessions, Jameer has resorted to walking the ball up the court and coming to a halt, after crossing half court, to set up plays. This gives the other team time to set up their defense.

And let's not stop there! Even if Jameer is firing on all cylinders (on a given night), he allows opposing point guards to blow right past him. He sometimes has to commit fouls to try to stop them from scoring.

On defense, we have no one in the center boxing out or bodying up to prevent the opposing teams' centers from scoring. Even though Glen is undersized, when he was healthy, he gave up his body in the middle and helped to prevent opposing centers from getting easy shots.

As the supposed LEADER of the Magic, Jameer turns the ball over too much. Demonstrating to your young teammates the dynamics of playing the game of basketball is more important than being a pretender before the cameras with a lot of lip service.

• Upvote 1

In the alternate universe where I reside and watch games I am not seeing any of this.

I believe nelson is a leader. He has always been the first player to try to bring the team together. When we lost in the finals, he grab howard to soak in what happened. I do like baby as an inspiring force, but nelson has always shown leadership. If D12 was the leader that nelson is, he would be the league MVP. I think our team problem is currently injuries and talent. We are lacking talent and the little talent and the seasoned players we do have are down with injuries. BBD, Al Harrington, and ("cough")Turk. Before BBD went down, we were one game from .500 and on a 4 game winning streak.