Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

The Official Trade Thread

smart people see that Memphis got rid of the SF version of Monta Ellis

He's a better defender but otherwise, you're completely right.

And Dwight was a cancer. So now the Howard trade was a good trade?

Ahem.

Rudy Gay could have yielded more than Calderon [Davis, Daye] and Prince in this league. Any Grizz fan has the right to be dissapointed, ie hoping for more in return. But hey.

And Dwight was a cancer. So now the Howard trade was a good trade?

Ahem.

Rudy Gay could have yielded more than Calderon [Davis, Daye] and Prince in this league. Any Grizz fan has the right to be dissapointed, ie hoping for more in return. But hey.

Completely agree, I feel Memphis should have gotten more than just that. Daye is...ok, Prince can produce every now and then, Ed Davis is a questionable attribute and just a second round pick? Memphis got rid of a hefty contract for what? To rebuild? Which seems to be the path they are headed towards. Wouldn't surprise me to see Z-bo leave soon.

Rudy Gay is the 17th highest player in the league....only making 200k a year less than Kevin Durant.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nbas-top-50-highest-paid-players/

He's a mediocre scorer that relies on volume shooting to get his points. He's getting paid superstar money and he isn't a superstar. Forget actually contending for a championship, Rudy Gay isn't good enough to drag an average team into the playoffs. And we are about to see this firsthand now that he is on the Raptors.

If Rudy Gay were on a reasonable contract then this would be a different conversation. It's the same with Pau Gasol. No one thinks he is a bad player now. It's that no one believes he is worth the enormous contract that he is playing under. Rudy Gay is NOT an asset, particularly for a rebuilding team.

Its funny how salaries affect the perception of a players production. Rudy is very rashard lewis-y in that regard.

And that makes you wonder if Orlando could have got anything for Rashard in the summer of 2009. Seems to me that the team that loses the most is Toronto and I think it was a great move by Memphis

That doesn't surprise me at all. You are one of the most unreasonable Magic fans I've ever met on this forum. It only makes sense that you would be completely unreasonable as a Grizzlies fan.

The nonsense he spews makes me believe its an act.

Also, Gay would have been awesome with Dwight years ago when money wasn't a thang.

Also, Baby broke his foot on purpose. I only half believe that's true.

Feel bad for Prince, guy has been a Piston his whole career and I read just a couple of days ago that he'd been assured he wouldn't be traded, its not even like this trade makes Detroit better long term...

On other notes of the trade I think the Grizzlies will be fine without Gay and his ridiculous contract, they got some shooting which they needed, Prince is a good defender and a vet presence and I like Ed Davis for what he is.

Toronto now have Rudy Gay and Demar Derozan and Terrence Ross who was apparently untouchable in this trade... They've basically taken themselves out of the Wiggins sweepstakes for the sake of winning about 5 -10 more games if that. I see them accomplishing about as much as the Ellis/Jennings lead Bucks.

• Upvote 1

Detroit is like, 31 mil under the cap next year and Stuckey is partial guaranteed I believe. They can also amnesty Charlie V.

Yeah, this move absolutely helped their future. Now they can do a proper rebuild around Knight, Monroe, and Drummond (who lots of people were extremely wrong about).

Having said that, I have a strong feeling that Josh Smith gets overpaid by them next year. Hopefully I'm wrong but Detroit is in a good position going forward.

Memphis now has a ton of real depth and can finally focus the offense on Marc and ZBo, stay under the tax, and have a ZBo replacement when that time comes. Love the deal for them.

Gay is of course viewed by how my he gets paid which makes the deal wonky, but TOR has needed a 3 for quite some time. They need to trade Bargs, Anderson, and Kleiza to LA for Pau and call it a day. Makes too much sense now.

Well, Detroit has to overpay for free agents because they are in, well, Detroit. Hopefully though, if they are trying to land a big free agent, they don't go after a big man that will only take playing time away from the promising big men they already have.