Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

The Official Trade Thread

If you're Orlando you have to take that trade. Can't pass by a chance to get a legitimate star. Plus the Magic would be horrible for the next 2 seasons as he gets better so they would be able to build through the draft and add a Jabari Parker or Wiggins to the lineup when Rondo would be 100% again.

www.sportsdivide.com

Here's the question, Orlando fans: would you want to trade for Rondo now that he has a torn ACL? Seriously? If they offered us the above trade ... plus their first rounder this year or next, would you do it? (Obviously we'd dump all but Rondo and Fab).

I find it an interesting opportunity. Whether they want to accept it or not, Boston is committed to winning now. They have serious money tied up for the next couple of years (http://www.basketbal...tracts/BOS.html). Adding these three players would at least keep them in the hunt. (I'd rather include AA instead of JJ).

For Orlando, it would allow us to stash away a young borderline all-star, let us secure another pick, and help in our tanking effort for the next one to two years.

What say you?

It's a no brainer for us. But we'd have nobody to fill the PG in the meantime, potential or otherwise.

It's a no brainer for us. But we'd have nobody to fill the PG in the meantime, potential or otherwise.

Yeah, I'm not saying it would be pretty for us in the next year.

Yeah, I'm not saying it would be pretty for us in the next year.

I think it would take Nelson+one of our protected picks to nab Rondo. If they want redick then we can ask for more.

I have a feeling Ainge will pull off a Rafer Alston-type deal.

It's possible he could return for the start of next season. In which case we have Rondo, and a bunch of first and second year players which would probably make us too good to get a top 3 pick and not good enough to win anything, and even if we did get a top 3 pick the next season would be Rondo's last on his current contract at which point he could decide he doesn't want to sit around and wait for our young guys to improve and jump ship. It's a tough call... I think you'd need to know the timetable on his return before you did anything.

I guess I'll be the nay-voice: Rondo is already slightly overpaid and benefits a comic amount from some VERY generous stat-keepers in Boston, but more than that: he's a guy whose entire skillset is built around his speed. If he loses even 10% of that post-surgery, he'll be an average-at-best point guard who can't shoot making 8 figures a year.

All for a guy who, even if everything breaks right, is still only good enough to be the best player on a .500 team, seemed to plateau as a player 2 years ago, and has a notable history of being a problem in the locker room.

Maybe Rondo isn't the right guy but I'd sure like to get a PG like him (but with better shooting)... I just love watching him play, some of his passing is downright ludicrous.

I guess I'll be the nay-voice: Rondo is already slightly overpaid and benefits a comic amount from some VERY generous stat-keepers in Boston, but more than that: he's a guy whose entire skillset is built around his speed. If he loses even 10% of that post-surgery, he'll be an average-at-best point guard who can't shoot making 8 figures a year.

All for a guy who, even if everything breaks right, is still only good enough to be the best player on a .500 team, seemed to plateau as a player 2 years ago, and has a notable history of being a problem in the locker room.

Indeed, all very good points. To add to the downside, we'd be taking on more money, given his contract.