Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

The Official Trade Thread

Two thoughts:

1. How could we use our massive TPE to get Zach Randolph to Houston and end up with one of their young guys? Possible?

Easily, provided no one on Houston's roster is untouchable other than Harden or Lin.

Who would you like to end up in Orlando in this hypothetical?

The only person from Houston I'm particularly interested in is Chandler Parsons but I'm not sure we'd be able to get him. Looking at the Randolph to Houston trade it's difficult to see how it will work. Houston don't actually have any high earners that aren't important pieces... Asik, Lin and Harden are their high earners after that they have a few contracts at 3 million etc and that's about it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bcc7czb

The trade I managed to make work between the two teams had us taking back the contract of Royce White (eugh!) and Carlos Delfino but considering the Rockets are going to need more to trade than just expirings and Terrence Jones for Randolph I don't know what they have to give us unless they do give up Parsons which I'm not sure they'd do, if anything Memphis would probably be more likely to get him.

I'm sure you could make it fit better than I have but it's going to be tough to pull this trade off I think.

We couldn't get an unprotected pick for Dwight Howard, and you think we'll get one PLUS a prospect for JJ?

Keep in mind that JJ has already expressed an interest in staying in Orlando long term if we offer him enough money. Dwight told the world that he was leaving Orlando no matter what we offered him. Also JJ's contract is going to be affordable to most teams, and he is not just a proven shooter, he is a proven team player, unlike Dwight.

J.J. Redick wants to remain in Orlando, and the Magic are in no hurry to trade him. Nonetheless, GM Rob Hennigan has let Redick know multiple teams are interested in his services, and the team's losing is beginning to wear on the seventh-year veteran, who's said he'll look to sign with a contender if he's traded this season. That means Redick, in the last year of his contract, might wind up as a rental for whoever would be on the other end of a trade, but that might just be part of the plan.

Redick's $6.19MM expiring contract might be Orlando's best trade asset, and it wouldn't make much sense for a rebuilding team to commit long-term money to a 28-year-old who's started just 45 games in his career, despite how much Redick has grown on the team's new front office. He represents an opportunity for the Magic to package him with one or two of their less desirable assets, like Hedo Turkoglu and Al Harrington. The Magic would reportedly be seeking multiple draft picks in return for him, but a team in need of a shooter might be willing to bite.

The Wolves seem to have plenty of interest, and they've long coveted a shooting guard. They'd like to unload Derrick Williams in return, but the Magic aren't keen on that idea. Minnesota could wind up in the lottery again this year, and that pick could be intriguing to Orlando. The Wolves are over the cap, so they couldn't absorb Redick's salary without sending someone out. They could probably cook up a proposal around Greg Stiemsma and Dante Cunningham simply because they, like Redick, can come off the books after this season, but I don't think that would be enough for the Magic. Alexey Shved represents an intriguing prospect the Magic might want, but that's just my speculation. It would represent something of a gamble by the Wolves if they traded for Redick anyway, since it's not clear whether they're ready to contend if healthy, and Redick might not want to re-sign with Minnesota this summer.

A more logical fit might be the Thunder. They're certainly a contender, and they have the Raptors' first-round pick via the James Harden trade to dangle in front of Hennigan and company. They've been going with a shortened rotation this season after letting Daequan Cook go along with Harden. Still, even without Cook's gunning, they're 10th in the league in three-pointers made this season and third in three-point percentage, and Kevin Martin's outside game has been a major reason why. Redick, though more than just a three-point shooter, wouldn't really fit a need for Oklahoma City the way he would for the Grizzlies and Bulls, who are the only two teams behind the Timberwolves in treys made this season. Both those teams are reluctant to take on salary, which could make swinging a Redick deal tough, though it's worth noting that Redick's current contract was originally an offer sheet he signed with Chicago in 2010.

There isn't really a perfect match out there for Redick, and that's why I think he probably stays put this season. I'm not sure the Magic will re-sign him in the summer, preferring to take his contract off their books to create cap space they can either use in 2013 or down the road. Hennigan may prefer draft picks, but space and picks are usually the two most sought-after currencies for teams in Orlando's position, and I think they'd be just as content to take the space if someone isn't willing to bend over backward to give them the picks.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/

I am very surprised that Rob does not want Williams. Maybe it is smokescreen to get more in return for our assets. I have targeted Williams as the type of player we could use and add to the team. I really think we could use a combo forward's skill like williams; nicely. He could play next to harkless or andrew, because of his ability to shoot, skill set, and athleticism. On the right team, I think williams can be a stud, but I am concerned with his effort on defense. I just dont see the negatitives; unless the wolves want to much. I think jj and ayon or mcbob should be enough. Or, we can help with the Gay trade.

In the end, I think we help the wolves get Gay. We get a combination of picks from griz or wolves plus williams. We give up JJ and Ayon or Mcbob, plus the 17 mil TE. I think we see what Al Harrington can do in the next 2 week and then pull the trigger; if we like what we see.

Side note: The wolves are open to moving pekovic, if they get gay, so he could also end up here. Pekovic is good but scary, because it is said that Pekovic could get around 12mil in the free agent market next year.

Easily, provided no one on Houston's roster is untouchable other than Harden or Lin.

Who would you like to end up in Orlando in this hypothetical?

Thanks for the reply. I'd probably say T. Jones or Parsons.