Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

What is Darko's Ceiling

quote:
Originally posted by Peganite1:

Thats it I can't take it anymore! Howard is a freaking monster with an incredible work ethic. He has gotten better offensively every year in the league. He will be right up around 20 next year. I like Darko but think the best he can do because of his mental issues is 15 ppg 7 reb 2.5 blks which is good and would make me happy. When has Darko shown he has any leadership qualities by the way? Howard is a future league MVP who might be a 25 ppg 14 reb 3 blk beast. Every great big talks about how he will dominate even more than he already does (Shaq, Duncan, and Garnett for example). He isn't anything close to being like Ben Wallace that is insulting. Lets see he led the league in dunks, was 3rd in rebounding, tops in double doubles, second in fg % and think about how many 20 20 games he has had. They are both good but don't put Howard down to make Darko look better. Give credit where it is due!!!

I fully disagree. Dwight an MVP. He is good, no doubt about it, but he will never be an MVP. He simply does not the skills. Just look at the stats that you provided (dunks, rebounds,...). For most of those you do not have to be an MVP caliber player. You have to be extremely physically gifted. And Howard is just that. No one over here is trying to say that Dwight is not great, but he does not have a potential that Darko has. The main reason is that you cannot teach someone to shoot the ball at the age of 20. But again, he is not that kind of player. The thing that Darko misses is mind set, and that is his main problem. Other things like strength, etc. can be easily fixed.

Again, nobody here is trying to say that5 Dwight is not an excellent player. He is and he is an All Star player for the rest of his career, but he will never be an MVP. And Darko has much more room to improve (although that is mostly because he is much further ahead of Darko)

quote:
Originally posted by Realist:

quote:
Originally posted by Peganite1:

Thats it I can't take it anymore! Howard is a freaking monster with an incredible work ethic. He has gotten better offensively every year in the league. He will be right up around 20 next year. I like Darko but think the best he can do because of his mental issues is 15 ppg 7 reb 2.5 blks which is good and would make me happy. When has Darko shown he has any leadership qualities by the way? Howard is a future league MVP who might be a 25 ppg 14 reb 3 blk beast. Every great big talks about how he will dominate even more than he already does (Shaq, Duncan, and Garnett for example). He isn't anything close to being like Ben Wallace that is insulting. Lets see he led the league in dunks, was 3rd in rebounding, tops in double doubles, second in fg % and think about how many 20 20 games he has had. They are both good but don't put Howard down to make Darko look better. Give credit where it is due!!!

I fully disagree. Dwight an MVP. He is good, no doubt about it, but he will never be an MVP. He simply does not the skills. Just look at the stats that you provided (dunks, rebounds,...). For most of those you do not have to be an MVP caliber player. You have to be extremely physically gifted. And Howard is just that. No one over here is trying to say that Dwight is not great, but he does not have a potential that Darko has. The main reason is that you cannot teach someone to shoot the ball at the age of 20. But again, he is not that kind of player. The thing that Darko misses is mind set, and that is his main problem. Other things like strength, etc. can be easily fixed.

Again, nobody here is trying to say that5 Dwight is not an excellent player. He is and he is an All Star player for the rest of his career, but he will never be an MVP. And Darko has much more room to improve (although that is mostly because he is much further ahead of Darko)

WOW! I don't know what to say. I'll respond after entourage.

I would argue with you, but you're such a diehard Darko fan I'd be wasting my time. Let's hope you're right, because I'd love to have two dominant big men on our team.

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

I would argue with you, but you're such a diehard Darko fan I'd be wasting my time. Let's hope you're right, because I'd love to have two dominant big men on our team.

I do like Darko allot. But I think that I can back most of my reasoning with facts.

So I am looking forward to exchanging thoughts about Darko, and anyone from Orlando.

Dwight can learn how to shoot and stuff. Amare Stoudemire wasn't a good shooter when he came in the league, and now he's very consistent from the outside. Drew Gooden improved his FT% from 64% to 81% in one season with the help of a shooting coach. Dwight Howard now has the same shooting coach Drew Gooden had.

Even if he didn't develop a good shot (even though he will) he still dominates players in the paint. Teams have to double-team Dwight, much like they have to double-team Shaq -- the most dominant ever.

Darko can't dominate a game like Dwight can. Darko doesn't demand as much attention as Dwight does. Statistically speaking, Darko isn't even close to Dwight. Mentally speaking, Dwight is more committed to the game; his work ethic is centuries ahead of Darko's.

quote:
I fully disagree. Dwight an MVP. He is good, no doubt about it, but he will never be an MVP. He simply does not the skills. Just look at the stats that you provided (dunks, rebounds,...). For most of those you do not have to be an MVP caliber player. You have to be extremely physically gifted.

Ever here of Shaq or Wilt Chamberlain. Dwight had a three or four game streak where he but up Chamberlain like games. Being more physically gifted than everyone else is also something you can't teach.

Honestly none of really know either Darko's work ethic or Dwight's. First off Dwight isb a freak, gifted by god he's body. He has had a good up bringing in life with his parents who put him on the right path to be a gentlemen and to care. Darko has high awareness on the court and showed in the playoffs that he can be a banger in the low post averaging the 58% from the field best in the nba playoffs. most consitent on the tream this playoffs. Darko showed more leadership yelling and commanding the ball but not juust for himself for the greater good of the team. Dwight slacks in this area but will learn and stop trying to go to the hoop every time and pass the ball and not keep turning the ball over. I believe he will cure this problem and learn how to shoot better in the coming years. Darko has had chances to show his killer instinct in the playoffs and for Serbia last summer being 3rd overall in double doubles. He doesnt need to be a freak on boards when Dwight is probaly the best in the league at grabbing boards. They both can learn form each other and help their games out. Darko Has the potential of whatever he wants averaging 15 points maybe 20 in a year or 2. He will only get better and already is probaly top 5 best passing big guys in the league. Two big guys on the same team one a freak on the boards and dunks. The other great passer can score from almost anywhere and is deff improving on his low post. With all these said any potential for any player comes down to 2 things. First is all about the will and want of theplayer and can really show how good they can be for themselves and for their teammates. 2nd and the most important is having the right coach. Look at any great hall of famers or any current proven winners in this league and they all have had great coaches guide them to be best they can be. Everybodys road is differnt and its up to the coach to guide them down the right path and show them how it should be done. hwo to win how to learn. Any good mentor can bring the best out of anybody. Also its about leadership not just stats. A leader on the court,off court, locker room and so forth. There is no real ceiling for darko he has the potential and so forth for Dwight. Lets hope SVG cna guide the twin towers to stand tall.

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

Dwight can learn how to shoot and stuff. Amare Stoudemire wasn't a good shooter when he came in the league, and now he's very consistent from the outside. Drew Gooden improved his FT% from 64% to 81% in one season with the help of a shooting coach. Dwight Howard now has the same shooting coach Drew Gooden had.

Even if he didn't develop a good shot (even though he will) he still dominates players in the paint. Teams have to double-team Dwight, much like they have to double-team Shaq -- the most dominant ever.

Darko can't dominate a game like Dwight can. Darko doesn't demand as much attention as Dwight does. Statistically speaking, Darko isn't even close to Dwight. Mentally speaking, Dwight is more committed to the game; his work ethic is centuries ahead of Darko's.

I agree with most of your comments. However, I disagree about the shooting. First, of all you cannot learn how to shoot this late. You can correct the technique and improve fg%, but not much. Btw, Amare still hardly shoots the ball. He is scoring most of his points close to the rim. Drew had a much better shooting technique when he came to the league, that is why he could improve. Talking about him, I hope you are not trying to say we want Dwight to be like Drew. He is already a much better player.

As far as dominating the game: I agree that he is currently more dominant than Darko. No one is trying to argue that. I am just saying that Darko has a more potential for imrpvement, that is all. Nothing more nothing less. I am not saying he will do it.

And comparing Dwight to Shaq and Wilt is just not appropriate. First of all, he is not that physically gifted. I mean, you are talking about probably the 2 most dominant players in the NBA history. You can find some players that can compare physically with Dwight (Amare is just one of them) right now. And both of this players were above the average low post passers. Dwight does not have that court vision. Also, both of these players were/are able to adjust their game to dominate the top defenders. Dwight has not shown that so far. You don't have to go further than the series against Detroit and Sheed guarding him. Dwight's contribution was very poor in those games.

quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of these guys are All-Stars. Darko will never be that. He doesn't posses the intestinal fortitude.

I'm not sure why Darko gets hammered so much for being weak mentally. That injury he played with in the playoffs would have sidelined 90% of the league.

Just because he's stoic and Serbian doesn't mean he doesn't care. Need all players act like cheerleaders to show that they care?

And talent wise Darko has skills and size that maybe one or two other bigmen in this league posses. I could easily see Darko as a top 3 center one day. He'll need the right coach and situation.

Not sure how you could say Darko will never be an all-star, especially in the east. Ben Wallace can hardly dribble a basketball.

quote:
Originally posted by Realist:

First, of all you cannot learn how to shoot this late. You can correct the technique and improve fg%, but not much. Btw, Amare still hardly shoots the ball. He is scoring most of his points close to the rim.

If you can correct the technique and improve fg%, what else is there to do? I don't know why you have the notion you can't improve your shot, because that's just plain wrong.

When u think about it what is the ceiling to most of u guys. Is about being an all-star for ten years or is about the stats. big numbers great games and highlight reels of entertainment. Its about all that and but most of all its about winnig and who has won. winning championships is the ceiling for any player.once these guys win a ring and contribute to that, then we can talk about ceilings and legacys. SVG has a big roll in in this teams ceiling.

Lets not forget these guys are just getting in their 20's ... They're still learning how bout the game although I give a little edge in exp. to Darko cause of the national team playing .. but still I still think the Magic should consider getting a guy like Patrick Ewing or an great Big guy like him be an assitant in Orlando.. If Im correct Patrick Ewing was the assistant helping Yao in Houston and just look at his development...

Just getting a guy like Ewing here working with our guys will really improve the play of dwight big time and I just hope we can do it sooner than later