Sign in to follow this  
LJ Magic

Maggette

Given the fact that the free agent market may not be as attractive as originally thought and that we will have ample cap room I started to brain storm ideas that would net us a scorer without cleaning the cupboard of all our young talent.

The Maggette idea popped in my head. I recall last year that he was quoted as saying that he would favor a trade back to Orlando. His contract is reasonable at approximately $7M per year. He does have an opt out clause for next summer but at least we would have a year to see how he fits and if it was a good fit we could re-sign him or sign and trade him.

Given the Clippers point guard predicament with Cassell aging and Livingston out at least a year they would probably be willing to discuss a deal involving Arroyo and cap space. I may be wrong on that. My only hesitation with Maggette is his injury history. He does shoot the ball well and is always one of the top players in free throw attempts while hitting at a 84% clip. Plus, he can play shooting guard thus enabling Ariza to play SF. It was just a thought.

Given the fact that the free agent market may not be as attractive as originally thought and that we will have ample cap room I started to brain storm ideas that would net us a scorer without cleaning the cupboard of all our young talent.

The Maggette idea popped in my head. I recall last year that he was quoted as saying that he would favor a trade back to Orlando. His contract is reasonable at approximately $7M per year. He does have an opt out clause for next summer but at least we would have a year to see how he fits and if it was a good fit we could re-sign him or sign and trade him.

Given the Clippers point guard predicament with Cassell aging and Livingston out at least a year they would probably be willing to discuss a deal involving Arroyo and cap space. I may be wrong on that. My only hesitation with Maggette is his injury history. He does shoot the ball well and is always one of the top players in free throw attempts while hitting at a 84% clip. Plus, he can play shooting guard thus enabling Ariza to play SF. It was just a thought.

I still think the team needs to make a run at VC or Lewis first, but Maggette would be a nice plan B.

The biggest problem with him is he is a very poor shooter from beyond the arc (20% last year). With Dwight in the middle we need a guy who can create space. This is the same reason Grant Hill had problems at SG last season, teams just zoned up on us. They took away his driving lanes and dared him to beat us from outside.

I could easily see the Clippers being interested in Carlos as a backup PG though.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I still think the team needs to make a run at VC or Lewis first, but Maggette would be a nice plan B.

The biggest problem with him is he is a very poor shooter from beyond the arc (20% last year). With Dwight in the middle we need a guy who can create space. This is the same reason Grant Hill had problems at SG last season, teams just zoned up on us. They took away his driving lanes and dared him to beat us from outside.

I could easily see the Clippers being interested in Carlos as a backup PG though.

bhnole, I think if i'm not mistaken, did you just discribe Trevor with a better 2pt shot? His inside game, or going to the basket is the same, he may be just a bit stronger than Trevor, but Trevor is the better defender and I really want to see what Trevor will become under SVG! What do ya think?

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:

bhnole, I think if i'm not mistaken, did you just discribe Trevor with a better 2pt shot? His inside game, or going to the basket is the same, he may be just a bit stronger than Trevor, but Trevor is the better defender and I really want to see what Trevor will become under SVG! What do ya think?

I would not disagree with that assessment, Maggette is much better at getting to line in crunchtime. Trevor could easily be better than Maggette in a few years though. At 21 he is already a much better player than Maggette (who was still in college then).

Maggette would be an upgrade at SG, but how do you play him, Trevor, Darko and Jameer together. Who is going to stretch the floor with three point shots?

If Vince or Rashard turn out not to be options, I think Otis has to look into trading for guys like J-Rich or Ray Allen. Maggette does all his damage from mid range in, we need someone who can force the defense to defend the three point line as well.

This is the only reason Mobley starts over Maggette. Mobley gives Elton Brand more room to work.

quote:

I believe the situation he was talking about had Trevor continuing at the SF, and Maggette, who is more of a combo Guard/Forward, would play the SG...

So, its not really cutting into TA's playing time or development.

Ive always liked Maggette's Game- Ever since the 99-00 season when we had him as a rook, and his 3-ball isnt as bad as it seems, last seasons 20% was by far his worst since his first season. If you wash out the first and last year, he has shot 33% from beyond the arc.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would not disagree with that assessment, Maggette is much better at getting to line in crunchtime. Trevor could easily be better than Maggette in a few years though. At 21 he is already a much better player than Maggette (who was still in college then).

Maggette would be an upgrade at SG, but how do you play him, Trevor, Darko and Jameer together. Who is going to stretch the floor with three point shots?

If Vince or Rashard turn out not to be options, I think Otis has to look into trading for guys like J-Rich or Ray Allen. Maggette does all his damage from mid range in, we need someone who can force the defense to defend the three point line as well.

This is the only reason Mobley starts over Maggette. Mobley gives Elton Brand more room to work.

Exactly, your are right on the money! Another problem that I have with Maggette is that he has become a bit of a problem in the locker room when he does not touch the ball. For $7 mil per, J-Rich is the way to go, and G.S. is gaurd heavy, and Otis has a good relationship with that organization. J Rich answers all of the question at the 2, if VC and Lewis are off the market.

quote:

Exactly, your are right on the money! Another problem that I have with Maggette is that he has become a bit of a problem in the locker room when he does not touch the ball. For $7 mil per, J-Rich is the way to go, and G.S. is gaurd heavy, and Otis has a good relationship with that organization. J Rich answers all of the question at the 2, if VC and Lewis are off the market.

Id take Jason Richardson over Magette as well, but its not 7 per. CM will get about 8 next yr and J-Rich will get about 11 mil escalting up to nearly 15 mil down the road. J-Rich would be a much longer and expensive contract running thru 2011. CM contract , barring extension only runs 2 more years.

quote:
Originally posted by The Dude Abides:

quote:

I believe the situation he was talking about had Trevor continuing at the SF, and Maggette, who is more of a combo Guard/Forward, would play the SG...

So, its not really cutting into TA's playing time or development.

Ive always liked Maggette's Game- Ever since the 99-00 season when we had him as a rook, and his 3-ball isnt as bad as it seems, last seasons 20% was by far his worst since his first season. If you wash out the first and last year, he has shot 33% from beyond the arc.

He does bring a lot to the game, but when attempting to place the right pieces in the right places on the floor, minus the 3pt shot, I just see some duplication in the talent!

Now don't get me wrong, the last thing I will call Maggette is a dog, I also remember when we had him fresh out of Duke, he was strong then, and even stronger now! I just don't see him as a first thur 4th choice for our 2 spot.

When I started this thread I should have prefaced it by saying Maggette is not my first choice or even my second. I was just trying to think of some reasonable fall back plans in case the free agent market dries up or proves to be difficult. I was also looking for a player that wouldn't require us giving up Ariza, Darko, Redick, Howard, or Nelson to get. That is why I suggested Maggette. I like Richardson more but my guess is that his asking price would be much higher as is his contract.

I thought Maggette might be a valid option because:

1)he is still pretty young

2)he has expressed interest in playing here

3)he fills a scoring need and doesn't make worse some of our weaknesses like FT% and turnovers

4)his contract is reasonable and short allowing us more flexibility

5)we could probably get him relatively easily compared to some other high profile players

quote:
Originally posted by LJ Magic:

When I started this thread I should have prefaced it by saying Maggette is not my first choice or even my second. I was just trying to think of some reasonable fall back plans in case the free agent market dries up or proves to be difficult. I was also looking for a player that wouldn't require us giving up Ariza, Darko, Redick, Howard, or Nelson to get. That is why I suggested Maggette. I like Richardson more but my guess is that his asking price would be much higher as is his contract.

I thought Maggette might be a valid option because:

1)he is still pretty young

2)he has expressed interest in playing here

3)he fills a scoring need and doesn't make worse some of our weaknesses like FT% and turnovers

4)his contract is reasonable and short allowing us more flexibility

5)we could probably get him relatively easily compared to some other high profile players

Thnaks for the clearification! And you are not that far off in accessing what he brings, it is still a very good thread....IMO