Sign in to follow this  
Passenger57

2012 MAGIC Preseason Thread

I agree with this. Also, the reason I think we brought in a San Antonio/OKC-style guy is that with those teams, they don't really have high draft picks anymore (for San Antonio, for the better part of a decade), but they still manage to find amazing players late in the draft.

I think this is our plan: get a bunch of talented young players, bring in a veteran in the next year, and then supplement it with GOOD draft picks (you know, as opposed to the crap we've been picking).

Honestly, I'd keep an eye on Demarcus Cousins' relationship with the Kings. Freakish talent that I just don't see sticking around there because of both sides frankly.

And I'm in the minority, but I think Cody Zeller can be a damn good NBA player.

Honestly, I'd keep an eye on Demarcus Cousins' relationship with the Kings. Freakish talent that I just don't see sticking around there because of both sides frankly.

I like Cousins but the dude has an attitude problem that seems to get him in trouble with the coach fairly often.

I'm starting to think that JJ may start at SG even when Afflalo returns. Vaughn seems like the kind of coach who won't just give players a spot based on reputation, JJ has played well in preseason while Afflalo has been hurt, it wouldn't shock me to see Arron come off the bench against the Nuggets on opening night.

I also see Harrington not getting minutes when he gets healthy, wouldn't surprise me if it turned into something similar to Stephen Jackson with Milwaukee. He'll get frustrated and we'll eventually deal him to a contender for scraps. I actually like Harrington though and think he can be a big scoring punch off the bench for us, but the way Nicholson and BBD look in preseason, where will he get minutes? Maybe at SF behind Hedo if he gets back before Harkless, but from what I hear we should have Moe back first.

I'm starting to think that JJ may start at SG even when Afflalo returns. Vaughn seems like the kind of coach who won't just give players a spot based on reputation, JJ has played well in preseason while Afflalo has been hurt, it wouldn't shock me to see Arron come off the bench against the Nuggets on opening night.

I also see Harrington not getting minutes when he gets healthy, wouldn't surprise me if it turned into something similar to Stephen Jackson with Milwaukee. He'll get frustrated and we'll eventually deal him to a contender for scraps. I actually like Harrington though and think he can be a big scoring punch off the bench for us, but the way Nicholson and BBD look in preseason, where will he get minutes? Maybe at SF behind Hedo if he gets back before Harkless, but from what I hear we should have Moe back first.

I was thinking maybe run him at SF, too. Not sure if he'd be good at that position, but this would be the year to throw things out there and see what works. No one's going to be looking at the W/L this year.

I was thinking maybe run him at SF, too. Not sure if he'd be good at that position, but this would be the year to throw things out there and see what works. No one's going to be looking at the W/L this year.

I think we could use him at SF, but we're probably going to keep playing Turk and when Moe is back he needs to get minutes to develop. Despite being a solid veteran scorer, Harrington looks like an odd man out to me and he'll probably dealt at some point during the year.

Our ball movement is so much better with Vaughn. I'm seeing cuts, and high quality shots. Not just 3's being jacked up all game long. Our defense needs some serious improvement though.

Once we get some top level talent we should be back in the playoffs! Getting kinda excited.

edit: Vucevic's mid-range offense is Earl Clarkesque , good rebounder though.

Our ball movement is so much better with Vaughn. I'm seeing cuts, and high quality shots. Not just 3's being jacked up all game long. Our defense needs some serious improvement though.

Once we get some top level talent we should be back in the playoffs! Getting kinda excited.

A lot of that has to do with not force-feeding Howard to keep him happy. As a PG myself (obviously not at the pro level), the worst kind of offense is the one where you're just continuously lobbing it to the same person over and over. I mean, Howard's dynamite down low and still only hits half his shots (less than, from the free-throw line). When the offense flows, it's just so much easier to get baskets.

A lot of that has to do with not force-feeding Howard to keep him happy. As a PG myself (obviously not at the pro level), the worst kind of offense is the one where you're just continuously lobbing it to the same person over and over. I mean, Howard's dynamite down low and still only hits half his shots (less than, from the free-throw line). When the offense flows, it's just so much easier to get baskets.

Yup agreed. I don't think our offense will be that bad actually. Our defense is going to need a lot of work.

Just remember that this team is only going to improve as the years go on, something this fanbase hasn't heard for awhile. For years, this team had peaked and there was no guarantee that the following years were going to exhibit improvement.

I'm biased being an IU fan, but Zeller displayed some real range at this year's Midnight Madness. I think he could have a Dirk type ceiling. He has a great work ethic.

Offensively i think we'll be pretty good.....the Starters 1-5 are all guys imo that are capable of scoring double digits on a nightly basis....i also think our bench will be solid as well....

Starters

Nelson

Afflalo

Hedo

Big Baaaaaaby

Vucci

Key Bench Players

Redick

Moore

Nicholson

Dequan

Goose

Harrington

Harkless

There is some talent on that bench imo.....The more i see us play the more content i am with our ability to compete....tank or not all i really want to see is our guys playing hard....if we play hard and lose a bunch i'll be fine with that....as long as we're not mailing it in out there