jec

Jameer = Career

This post deserves more recognition.

The Fan Voice: "Jameer = Career”

By Live or Die Magic | July 26th, 2012

When Jameer Nelson’s official contract numbers came out last week, reported to be 3 years, 25 million, with the last year partially guaranteed, most Magic fans were surprised Magic GM Rob Hennigan paid Nelson that much. Media and fans from around the NBA were also incredulous, and claimed Nelson was being overpaid when compared to the new contracts of other point guards considered to be better than him.

Part of the problem is that none of these deals – the signing of contracts and extensions – can be viewed in a vacuum. NBA fans always compare the money to what other players have made and try to create a value system of sorts. This is especially true of Magic fans. We tend to be quite sensitive to players making more than their perceived merit since we’ve been burned by it in the past. But in Nelson’s case, it is truly a situation where Nelson is worth more to us than he would be to another NBA team. Nelson has been here long enough to have experienced our highs and our lows. He’s been through multiple coaches and GMs. He knows this team, this city, and this fan base and he accepts it, with or without his long running teammate. None of those other points guards are being asked to be the undisputed leader of their team and the focal point of the offense. Nelson is willing and able to accept leadership of this team in every aspect.

Hennigan is having to approach any moves he makes this off season from two perspectives: a roster that includes Dwight Howard, and one that doesn’t. In the absence of Howard, Nelson will clearly be the player most relied upon to put the ball in the basket. More will be asked of him than at any point in his career. He will become the face of the franchise and be expected to carry the team until a time when any promising players on the roster are ready to take over. He will be a valuable confidante to whichever young, inexperienced head coach the Magic hire. It will be imperative for Nelson and the new coach to be in sync from the beginning. Nelson will be instrumental in setting an example for both young and veteran teammates alike.

Signing a three-year contract with the Magic, combined with the 8 seasons he’s already played here, affords Nelson some unique career milestone opportunities in the near future. If Nelson completes the third and final year of his contract with the Orlando Magic, and remains healthy and plays significant minutes during that timeframe, he will become the Magic career leader in several important statistical categories. The first category Nelson is likely to own is career assists. Scott Skiles is still the leader with a total of 2776, but Nelson is close behind with 2612. Nelson could surpass Skiles somewhere around a third of the way through the upcoming season.

Being on the Magic roster in the third year of the deal will allow Nelson to pass two more significant Magic milestones: number of seasons with the Magic, and career games played with the Magic. Both of those records are currently owned by Nick Anderson, with totals of 10 and 692 respectively.

There are other Magic career records that Nelson has an outside shot at surpassing or at least getting into the top-3, including career points, career field goals made and attempted, minutes played, 3-pt. field goals made and attempted, and steals. If Nelson becomes the go-to scorer on a young, rebuilding team, then his chances of passing the first three milestones increase significantly. It would also serve to justify the terms of the contract he just signed. Our leading scorer, starting point guard, and veteran leader in the locker room would only be making 8 million a season. Sure, maybe I’ve applied a little “spin” here, but under those circumstances, no one could say that Nelson wasn’t earning his keep.

My guess is that if Nelson is still with the team in three years, he will likely sign yet another contract with us, allowing him to retire as a member of the Magic. The fact that he is on record as saying he wants to retire with us should speak volumes about his importance to the team and should also make every Magic fan stop and take notice, in light of other current distractions. At some point, you have to stop pointing out every wart a player has and instead focus on the good that he does for your team. He is your player Magic fans, and he wants to be. Accept him, embrace him, and root for him. He deserves it, and we deserve him.

This message was not subject of approval by the NBA or the Orlando Magic. The views expressed in this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of the Orlando Magic or the NBA, but solely the writer.

• Upvote 3

Amen.

I love Jameer, I think he will have his best FULL season. I believe that he is the perfect leader, and unlike Dwight is loyal and non-egotistic. I have no problem with what we gave him. I am sure we will pick up a PG in the next few years through the draft and Nelson will be the perfect mentor for whoever that may be... by the time future magic starting PG is ready to start Jameer will be ready to take a lighter $ contract and a back up roll. Anyone that does not see it that way and only compares him to other pg's salaries I just ignore... Especially those ones who wanted to sign Lin, eventhough (he is overrated) we could not possibly do so.

• Upvote 1

Amen.

Anyone that does not see it that way and only compares him to other pg's salaries I just ignore...

THIS!! Some people just don't understand bro. They are the same people that argue we could've gotten better for Dwight and that we should've hired Brian Shaw. LOL I still laugh at the thought of the latter.

Way too lazy to even Google it, but I was very surprised to hear he was closing in on the assist lead for the team. When you consider how he's a shoot-first-second-third point guard, it's nice to hear he's been quietly racking up the assists too. How long was Skiles with the team? I think that might be the only difference. I don't remember Skiles being here for 11 years, and that might make Nelson's accomplishment a little diminished if he had, say, twice as long to accumulate those assists as Skiles did.

Way too lazy to even Google it, but I was very surprised to hear he was closing in on the assist lead for the team. When you consider how he's a shoot-first-second-third point guard, it's nice to hear he's been quietly racking up the assists too. How long was Skiles with the team? I think that might be the only difference. I don't remember Skiles being here for 11 years, and that might make Nelson's accomplishment a little diminished if he had, say, twice as long to accumulate those assists as Skiles did.

Too be sure, Skiles had a higher APG average while with the Magic for 5 seasons. I don't think it should diminish Nelson claiming the career total though.

Why not just bump the thread?

Oh you wanted some positive rep for yourself :)

It was in a different forum and hardly had the views it deserved. I wanted to make a Jameer Appreciation Thread, but this write up pretty much says all that should be said.

It was in a different forum and hardly had the views it deserved. I wanted to make a Jameer Appreciation Thread, but this write up pretty much says all that should be said.

Fair enough.

instruct+me+how+to+douglas.jpg

Too be sure, Skiles had a higher APG average while with the Magic for 5 seasons. I don't think it should diminish Nelson claiming the career total though.

True, I'm not trying to take anything away from our Mighty Mouse Meerkat. I actually think it's pretty darn impressive that even though he's considered a shooter only (much to the dismay of some around here), he's still making sure others are involved too. I think he's going to have a very great year, now that the distractions are gone.

True, I'm not trying to take anything away from our Mighty Mouse Meerkat. I actually think it's pretty darn impressive that even though he's considered a shooter only (much to the dismay of some around here), he's still making sure others are involved too. I think he's going to have a very great year, now that the distractions are gone.

He deserve to be the first ever player jersey to be retired and hanged from our Arena.

He deserve to be the first ever player jersey to be retire and hang from our Arena.

Apparently, you retired English a long time ago. Just messin'. I would like to see his Jersey retired if he plays well these next 3 years and after that if still here. I think he will play well for us this upcoming season. I'm excited to see.