Live or Die Magic

2012 MAGIC Offseason Thread

Raheem Morris comes to mind. But even though I'm pretty sure he was merely a sacrificial lamb for the Bucs, it certainly didn't help that his players regressed pretty severely, even in basics like tackling or route-running or other pretty basic football things.

He was also the victim of his own success. That 10-6 season raised expectations way too high.

I doubt the new Magic coach has to worry about anything like that. Let's say the Houston trade goes down and Nelson and Martin each average 20 points a game and Mrs. Vazquez comes over and gets a double/double (I'm reaching! I'm reaching!), we still don't win 30 games.

Steve Luhm ‏@sluhm

Jazz assistant Jeff Hornack has been told he will not be the new head coach at Orlando. More to come.

I'm a little sad that Horny didn't get hired. Not sure how qualified he was, but I think he definitely embodies whatever values Rob is looking for. As an example, consider the following:

When I was about 12 I saw Hornacek and Stockton at Disneyland. John was waiting to go on Splash Mountain with the adults while Hornacek was over watching all their little kids (probably 5 or more). Me and my little brother asked Stockton if we could get a picture with him and the d-bag (although amazing point guard) said no. We then go over to Horny who obviously has his hands full and he totally lets both of us take individual pictures with him.

Moral of the story, Horny is a class act, he cares more about the team than himself (watching kids while adults have all the fun), and he can take care of kids (like Dwight I suppose). Now that I think about it, if my Disneyland story had reached Handsome Rob, I bet Horny wouldn't be out of the race quite yet.

I'm a little sad that Horny didn't get hired. Not sure how qualified he was, but I think he definitely embodies whatever values Rob is looking for. As an example, consider the following:

When I was about 12 I saw Hornacek and Stockton at Disneyland. John was waiting to go on Splash Mountain with the adults while Hornacek was over watching all their little kids (probably 5 or more). Me and my little brother asked Stockton if we could get a picture with him and the d-bag (although amazing point guard) said no. We then go over to Horny who obviously has his hands full and he totally lets both of us take individual pictures with him.

Moral of the story, Horny is a class act, he cares more about the team than himself (watching kids while adults have all the fun), and he can take care of kids (like Dwight I suppose). Now that I think about it, if my Disneyland story had reached Handsome Rob, I bet Horny wouldn't be out of the race quite yet.

Don't take this is too much of a personal attack, but I don't think that Stockton is a d-bag simply because he didn't want to stop to take a photo with you. He has a right to a personal life, and in this sense, he is like any other father taking his kids to Disneyland. He should be allowed to do that and have a normal experience. It is great that Hornacek took the time, but that should not reflect poorly on Stockton. It is a personal decision. Also, for all you know, Stockton may have received a dozen requests before you and maybe he said "yes" to several of them before getting tired of it taking away from his time with his kids.

Don't take this is too much of a personal attack, but I don't think that Stockton is a d-bag simply because he didn't want to stop to take a photo with you. He has a right to a personal life, and in this sense, he is like any other father taking his kids to Disneyland. He should be allowed to do that and have a normal experience. It is great that Hornacek took the time, but that should not reflect poorly on Stockton. It is a personal decision. Also, for all you know, Stockton may have received a dozen requests before you and maybe he said "yes" to several of them before getting tired of it taking away from his time with his kids.

So you're saying I should have forgiven him by now for making me feel dumb as a 12 year old? Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Plus what's all this Stockton talk, my story was about Hornacek, Stockton was just a minor detail in an otherwise glorious memory.

Brian K. Schmitz‏@MagicInsider

Jacque Vaughn's favorite movie is "One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest." Then he'll love the Magic if he's the coach.

I don't like Schmitz much, but this is spot on. lol.

Brian K. Schmitz‏@MagicInsider

Jacque Vaughn's favorite movie is "One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest." Then he'll love the Magic if he's the coach.

I don't like Schmitz much, but this is spot on. lol.

I agree that it is funny. But I also don't like it that the most-veteran writer on the Magic beat thinks this of the organization. Makes me remember that sportswriters follow the teams, but are not necessarily fans of the teams.

Schmidtz is still pissed at the team for firing his buddy Brian Hill.

The Sentinal lost me as a reader when they kept him and fired Povtak in budget cuts.

I agree that it is funny. But I also don't like it that the most-veteran writer on the Magic beat thinks this of the organization. Makes me remember that sportswriters follow the teams, but are not necessarily fans of the teams.

We can only hope that Henny can bring some respect back to the organization. Dwight has really done a number on the team and it's fans. On another note, I can see Vaughn leading the team out of the locker room to the court, and his very best Jack Nicholson voice say, "All you nuts, follow me!" Just kidding of course.

Alex Kennedy‏@AlexKennedyNBA

Jameer Nelson and the Orlando Magic agreed to terms on a three-year deal, but Nelson still hasn't officially signed yet.

Say waaaaa

My guess is that this is simply to maintain flexibility until/if the Howard trade happens. As far as gentleman agreements go, this one is pretty binding. He will definitely get that contract with us.