Live or Die Magic

2012 MAGIC Offseason Thread

this may have been asked before but anyone know what type of coach vaughn is likely to be? and what style he's likely to play? id like to see all out run and gun,and as we are looking to tank why not make it a little exciting to watch

I love SVG. Best coach we ever had. Highly entertaining. etc. etc.

But since when did he start doing the rounds for radio? He's coming off to me like a scorned ex girlfriend. What purpose do these interviews provide? Since when is SVG the one to just go around gossiping or telling stories. IDK. If the TV deal wasn't there I wouldn't be so skeptical.

Still love the guy though, and don't doubt there is some truth to what he says. But it's just silly at this point.

I only saw quotes from the first interview, but to me, he came off as a guy who wanted to coach again in the NBA one day. We all know he's labeled as being difficult with players, so maybe this is his way of trying to alleviate that in some way by siding with the superstar who ran him out of town. Or, he could just be bored.

The Other Side Of The Coin  Former Magic Coach Stan Van Gundy has followed in his brother Jeff’s footsteps in blasting the Orlando Magic and team CEO Alex Martins, blaming him for the situation in Orlando and ultimately why the Magic were unable to keep star center Dwight Howard.

Van Gundy has gone on the radio in Orlando and was quoted recently by ESPN’s Nick Friedell, laying the blame on Martin’s lack of basketball experience as the reason things came unglued with the Magic.

While all of that makes great theater and certainly quality copy for reporters, the truth of the matter is it’s not at all true.

For the record Martins was not plucked off the street corner and put in charge of the team. He has been involved with professional sports and the Magic in various capacities for almost 25 years. He’s held virtually every job you can hold in an NBA organization.

Is Martins a former player? No, but look where former players landed the Magic.

The truth of the situation is that Martins was put in charge of a sinking ship well after it started taking on water, and to blame him for the Howard mess is convenient misdirection.

The blame for the Howard mess starts with former team CEO Bob Vander Weide and team president Otis Smith with a little bit of Stan sprinkled in for bad flavor.

Martins didn’t break up the 2009 NBA Finals team; Otis Smith did that. Martins didn’t pull Rafer Alston for an injured Jameer Nelson, Stan Van Gundy did that.

Martins had nothing to do with trading for Vince Carter or dumping him and Marcin Gortat for Hedo Turkoglu.

Martins also didn’t sign Chris Duhon, Quentin Richardson, Glen Davis or Jason Richardson to cap killing contracts. Martins also didn’t botch draft pick after draft pick.

It’s easy to blame Martins for a lot of Orlando’s problems, but in the truth is he inherited them.

Did Martins compromise almost everything to try and sway Howard back to Orlando? Yes.

He begged, pleaded, and sold his soul to try and keep Howard in Orlando. That is what he was asked to do by ownership.

Did Martins’ staff leak things to TV reporters? No. That’s on Stan’s staff.

It’s easy to call Martins “naive”, but the truth is Howard was out the door before he was named CEO. Martins convinced Howard to stay, it was everything that followed that ran him out the door and most of it came from either Smith or Stan Van Gundy or his staff.

Martins is absolutely the scapegoat because he was charged with fixing the problems and he simply couldn’t do it in time. But if you look at what’s been done this offseason the Magic have promising front office, a coach with solid upside, and tons of flexibility. That’s a lot more than what Martins inherited last year.

It’s easy and convenient to blame Martins for all that’s gone on, but the truth is he wasn’t even close to the guy that created the mess, he simply couldn’t get its cleaned up in time.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-the-nba-rookies-to-watch/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nba-am-the-nba-rookies-to-watch&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Upvote 1

Imagine if the Thunder approach next season’s trade deadline with a record like 43-9 and suddenly flip James Harden for, say, J.J. Redick and three first-round picks — including at least one of Orlando’s picks, likely to land very high in the lottery.

Nice article on the possibility of OKC trading Harden at next year's deadline. The price seems a bit steep.

http://nba-point-for...wr_a1&eref=sihp

Nice article on the possibility of OKC trading Harden at next year's deadline. The price seems a bit steep.

http://nba-point-for...wr_a1&eref=sihp

they lost me at Orlando trading 3 first rounders for James Harden including our own lotto picks. We're rebuilding, use your brains people.

I'd give up our own 13 first and Redick for Harden, but that's it. That's an expiring and starting SG plus a lotto pick for a lotto pick heading towards a max deal.

We don't give up our 14 pick for anything unless it's Kevin Durant and his child's rights.

they lost me at Orlando trading 3 first rounders for James Harden including our own lotto picks. We're rebuilding, use your brains people.

3 high firsts...shouldnt we be able to get 4 Dwight Howards, 3 Hardens and 2 or 3 hundred Duhons for that. Someone call David Stern and ask him if we can get Harden and OKC's first for Hedo and our protected first in 2033.