Live or Die Magic

2012 MAGIC Offseason Thread

I agree with some of it. DeVos reminds me a lot of Jerry Jones: someone who desperately wants his team to be a constant contender, but constantly makes moves that slow that process down.

You brought up Otis and how he would have traded Dwight for Lopez; who do you think hired Otis in the first place? DeVos has a tendancy to put his friends in the front office and while he chucks tons of money at the team, historically those moves have been terrible. Of course, we don't know how much of the Jrich move, etc, was DeVos wanting "a name" vs Otis's ineptitude, but I do know moves like that have been real consistent throughout the Magic's history, and the one factor that hasn't changed in that time is....ownership.

Exactly, you said exactly what I wanted to say just maybe in a nicer way. It's true though, this team has had some great seasons but no consistency because we ALWAYS make the wrong decision. The only constant is ownership and they hire guys who shouldn't have their job tiitles.

Did you listen to SVG's interview? I'm guessing not, he basically said nobody could do their jobs because Martins was in charge and that he doesn't know ANYTHING about basketball. That wasn't me that is SVG a top 10 coach who has always been extremely honest with the media. Yes Devos is willing to spend money does that make him a great owner? That is the dumbest argument ever, I would rather have a frugal owner who spent it the right way than an owner who just overpays everyone and takes other teams aging, overpaid trash and gives away our young assets. Do you want me to go through some of these monumental boneheaded moves that HAVE made this franchise a punchline? Do you really think Dwight Howard for Moe Harkless,Affalo, and Vucevic was the best deal out there? Please Devos thinks of Dwight as a son and he didn't have the balls to send him somewhere he didn't want to be.

I don't wanna hear Dwight handcuffed us..... Chris Paul,Carmelo,Deron all had very limited teams they would go to and they ALL got better offers. The crazy thing is Dwight holds better value than all of those guys. I don't blame Hennigan and if you think Hennigan is free to do whatever he wants than you are more naive than I first thought. I'm talking about the body of work as a whole(I like Hennigan) but we ran off SVG for Greg Vaughn. I like Vaughn but he is nowhere on the same level and honestly their are 2-3 other guys who would have been better hires. The boneheaded moves the FRANCHISE has made over the past couple years is what got us here.

My point about having an owner that is willing to spend is that now we actually have a GM that will spend the money wisely. From what i remember, none of the players you mentioned had limited teams they would go to. I may be wrong but i dont believe Chris Paul and Carmelo had a list of teams like Dwight did, and Deron Williams was moved before he even asked to be. Though this is minor, JACQUE Vaughn is our new head coach, not Greg. Also you calling me naive is hilarious to me. Resorting to personal attacks are always a great way to make an argument haha.

EDIT: No, I didn't get a chance to listen to SVG's interview to answer your question.

You know for being Dwights Conscience I would think that you might be more angry at the fact that you wont have Brooklyn in your back pocket and instead get to face the many years of being compared to a guy you really hate.

my .02 cents

People "couldn't do their jobs" because Alex Martins and the Devos family took control of the basketball operation from Otis Smith, because he was about to trade Dwight for bubble gum. That's when Alex Martins removed decision authority from Otis. They also did not want to trade with NJ/BKN because of that Miami meeting between Dwight and Prok. Otis couldn't "do his job" because the CEO and ownership DID NOT WANT TO DO WHAT OTIS WANTED OR WAS ABOUT TO DO. They are the highest order and run this whole thing. Once Hennigan was hired, Alex gave Rob full power of basketball operations, because he had laid out a plan on what he was going to do. At first, Alex must have stayed with him to make sure he was following the (Robs) guidelines. You don't just give a new inexperienced guy the keys without at least monitoring him at first. Alex said he knew very soon after they hired him, after following on a few calls when teams wanted to pressure "the new guy" into a silly deal but didn't give in, that they made the right hire. Then he stepped away from that part of the organization and Rob and his new FO team was in full control. Stan HAS NO IDEA how this team is run now, since he was let go the same day as Otis Smith and propably has never met anyone in the new FO team.

Stop the BS people.

• Upvote 5

Also, this deal we got is what Rob wanted. I trust his words more than I value anyones opinion on a message board. He wanted youth, veterans, cap relief and picks. He got youth, veterans, cap relief and picks. We didn't get lottery picks, we will make our own lottery picks by being bad the next two seasons. The trade wasn't supposed to make us good this season or next, but in 2-3 seasons, we'd be in a good spot with FO that know what the heck they are doing and get this, know how to value prospects and draft accordingly.

• Upvote 1

man, I honestly can't wait for October. I'm ready to get this coming season underway. I want to see how our boys are going to work and see the NBA as a whole. I've not been this ramped up for awhile.

this,and i also cant wait to see how greg does