Live or Die Magic

2012 MAGIC Offseason Thread

what teams are a good fit for Harrington/Ayon/Q/McRoberts? I leave out Turk because no one would trade for him.

John Denton: #Magic's $17.8 million Traded Player Exception is believed to be the biggest in NBA history. Magic have 1 yr to use it if they want.

John Denton: Consider this #Magic fans: #Mavs had $12M TPE for losing T.Chandler; used to get L.Odom; that gave Lakers TPE they used to get S.Nash

John Denton: When #Mavs dealt L.Odom, they got another $8.9M TPE. #Jazz used TPE from M.Okur deal to absorb Mo Williams from Clippers earlier this summer

John Denton: TPE 1 avenue #Magic might pursue to improve if they don't want to wait on draft or free agency in future. It's all about flexibility now.

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum, since it's technically not about dwight howard.

I don't know a lot about trade exceptions so this might sound ignorant but is this 17.6 million exception worth anything to us since it expires in a year? I mean we aren't going to load up with superstars and max out the salary cap within that time peroid are we? Is there something else we could use it for? Forgive me if this has been covered in the previous pages.

what teams are a good fit for Harrington/Ayon/Q/McRoberts? I leave out Turk because no one would trade for him.

Harrington could have value to a team looking for a scorer off the bench. The other three won't get much in return, unless a team really sees something in Ayon.

I guess that sorta answered my question :lol somewhat

Well, hard to say what Hennigan will do really. I wouldn't be too surprised if the entire TPE wasn't used.

I think, if I am reading into the whole "flexibility" comment is that the TPE gives them freedom to make a trade for someone and not have to worry about how to make all the contracts match. So deals in essence become a little easier because they are not haggling or deals falling through over "throw-ins".

Also, I think "it's a process", means that they aren't just going after guys to just use the TPE before it expires. They have to fit the vision and they have to have workable contracts.

I think they have an ideal Magic player mold (Afflalo) and they'll look for guys that fit that mold. (Young, coachable, team-oriented, high character, and good contract value).

The TPE probably won't be used because we are unlikely to be looking at adding salary, but like Denton says it gives us a ton of flexibility. Making contracts match won't matter in any potential trades because that TPE is large enough to absorb about any contract. But like I said, it probaby won't be used, but why turn it down? It may come in handy.

I'd trade our TPE & Ayon to Golden State for Biendrins & #1 pick. Or Turk for Biendrins & TPE/Ayon for Jefferson for two #1s. GSW would be good players in FA next summer.

or, I'd try to trade Ayon to San Antonio for Corey Joseph. They need all the big men they can get, now.

I completely forgot Ayon was on the roster. I can't keep up with this front court invasion.

Goal line offense all day baby.... oh wait, this isnt football.