Live or Die Magic

2012 MAGIC Offseason Thread

Just as I thought you are completely missing the point. Nobody would have paid him 20m correct but we also have no cap space to sign a PG that would give us Jameers production, let alone the leadership he brings. It was either sign him at a reduced yet longer term contract or start with Duhon.

so, why couldn't we offer him let's say 11 millions for 3 seasons? no one in the league would have offered more than that. 7 millions a year for three years in a row in cap space for over 30 Jameer Nelson? thats too much, considering that new GM wants to rebuild...and quite honestly Jameer is not Steve Nash, he is not making players around him better anyway...

Just as I thought you are completely missing the point. Nobody would have paid him 20m correct but we also have no cap space to sign a PG that would give us Jameers production, let alone the leadership he brings. It was either sign him at a reduced yet longer term contract or start with Duhon.

This.

and look at jeremy lin's contract.. He is not proven yet and getting a very larger amount. The knicks has been interested in Jameer and they would it pay him more if Lins offer is not matched.

Ramon Sessions and Felton will likely get a very similar deal. I thing jameer if better IN OUR TEAM than any of these two players.

Now, the Toronto situation with Calderon is interesting. He wants out and he is an expiring. We can trade for him in exchange of Jrich and Duhon. The salary matches. Toronto will probably do it as they need help with a SG and a back up PG.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

so, why couldn't we offer him let's say 11 millions for 3 seasons? no one in the league would have offered more than that. 7 millions a year for three years in a row in cap space for over 30 Jameer Nelson? thats too much, considering that new GM wants to rebuild...and quite honestly Jameer is not Steve Nash, he is not making players around him better anyway...

Because he was going to reply with a big NO. You have to understand that Jameer has been our captain and leader for the past few years. He does make people around him better. The problem is that the people around him does not make him better.

He was an all star and is on his prime. Again, I am not bothered by this contract.

Name me any starting PG(out of their rookie contract) in this league that earns less than jameer. And please, don't come back saying that jameer is not a starting caliber PG.

This.

and look at jeremy lin's contract.. He is not proven yet and getting a very larger amount. The knicks has been interested in Jameer and they would it pay him more if Lins offer is not matched.

Ramon Sessions and Felton will likely get a very similar deal. I thing jameer if better IN OUR TEAM than any of these two players.

Now, the Toronto situation with Calderon is interesting. He wants out and he is an expiring. We can trade for him in exchange of Jrich and Duhon. The salary matches. Toronto will probably do it as they need help with a SG and a back up PG.

I did not say we need Felton or Sessions...just saying that if we have decided to rebuild then what was a reason to resign Jameer and add 7 millions a year on our cap, thats all...

no one in the league would trade expiring contract for J-Rich or Duhon, only if we add a pick...J-Rich, Duhon, Q-Rich are all absolutely useless...Duhon and Q-Rich both will have expiring deals next season, maybe we can deal them then...but lets hope for the best and that trade with Rockets...

• Upvote 1

I did not say we need Felton or Sessions...just saying that if we have decided to rebuild then what was a reason to resign Jameer and add 7 millions a year on our cap, thats all...

no one in the league would trade expiring contract for J-Rich or Duhon, only if we add a pick...J-Rich, Duhon, Q-Rich are all absolutely useless...Duhon and Q-Rich both will have expiring deals next season, maybe we can deal them then...but lets hope for the best and that trade with Rockets...

I actually like the Rockets trade. And im also all in favor for getting this Marshon Brooks kid. Is there any way we can swing him via trade?

Name me any starting PG(out of their rookie contract) in this league that earns less than jameer. And please, don't come back saying that jameer is not a starting caliber PG.

Kyle Lowry-great young PG who gets paid less than Jameer.

most of the PGs who get more than Jameer and not on a rookie contract are obviously better players-Paul, Nash, Westbrook, Rose, Rondo, Deron, Tony Parker, G. Hill, Dragic...those who are on a rookie deals are also better-Rubio, Holiday, Lawson, Wall, Teague...

once again, if we are getting Bynum, its a fine deal, we need his experience...but if are going to rebuild then there was no need to resign him in my opinion...

most of the PGs who get more than Jameer and not on a rookie contract are obviously better players-Paul, Nash, Westbrook, Rose, Rondo, Deron, Tony Parker, G. Hill, Dragic...those who are on a rookie deals are also better-Rubio, Holiday, Lawson, Wall, Teague...

once again, if we are getting Bynum, its a fine deal, we need his experience...but if are going to rebuild then there was no need to resign him in my opinion...

Men.. I don't know what you have against jameer but Lowry is no better than jameer. There is a reason why he keeps getting traded.

Jameer was an all star in this league. He is a leader and a great teammate.

Remember, that jameer is also tradeable. Don't underestimate Robs plan. They are not in the rebuilding mode. They might tank this season but I am sure they have plans to get several stars either via trade or free agency next season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You are right those players are better than Jameer but how many were genuine options for us? I want you to name one PG that is better than Jameer that we could have signed? We did overpay comparable to the market but Jameer would have walked at 3 years 11m and we would be stuck with Duhon. It's not always about players individual worth, situations take over and in this one we could pay Meer or he walked and we are left with nothing.

I actually think in a younger team, where he isn't trying to force the ball to Dwight, we will see a much more relaxed and improved Jameer.

I dont think we need a relaxed Jameer, we need him to step his game up. I know you were speaking from a mindset perspective, but I wasn't pleased with his demeanor last season at all. He needs to step it up across the board imo. That being said I don't hate the contract given the alternatives out there. He is running out of time to produce all-star worthy numbers again, so he isn't the long term answer still.

“@GeryWoelfel: League sources say Jacque Vaughn is front-runner, with Lindsey Hunter second for Magic job.” Uh oh.

WTF? I thought the final two were Brian Shaw and Mike Malone?