Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

IMO there is no way Dwight is in Orlando by the start of camp. It would be a PR nightmare (like it isn't already LOL) and definitely not good for the image we are creating of developing a team that has a 100% winning attitude. Dwight belongs in Houston with Lin and the Magic will have with a few dedicated vets that are helping us bring our rookies and youngsters along to become the east's version of OKC and win some championships. Heart and hustle is coming back to Orlando and Dwight's camp just doesn't have the heart to participate.

Dwight won't even be at camp because of his back

I meant on the team at the start of camp.

Imagine if between our 2 new bigs and Davis we are able to effectively shut down the middle and turn all the other teams into jump shooters... wouldn't that be something?

soo you are saying that Dwight is bluffing? I mean.. you talk to Dwight often.

Seriously, I dont see how Dwight will leave Orlando and 30 millions for either Atlanta or Dallas in free agency.

Dwight have a better chance to sign with Orlando and later be traded. This will help both, the team and himself.

Dwight is gone - he has been such an ass he can't come back here.

He definitely wants to get to LA so he can sign for 5 years, I think he would seriously consider resigning with Houston to not keep taking knocks on his reputation and the bigger guaranteed contract.

How are they gonna convince him to stay? He wants to win now. Orlando doesn't have assets to pull off a trade for a Monte/Iggy/Smith type player.

It's not a matter of if Dwight gets traded it's a matter of when.

I just don't see a plausible scenario in which Dwight is in camp by October.

The Magic shouldn't trade Dwight just to trade Dwight. It needs to be a deal that is worthwhile. A deal good enough that Hennigan gives up the opportunity to keep him next year. I don't care how certain anyone is that Dwight is leaving, even if it's Dwight himself that claims to be 100% certain he wants to leave; A LOT can happen in a year. And Dwight's side has already shown that his mindset is heavily influenced by the situation.

TODAY, it's easy for him to claim he's never coming back to Orlando. Just like it was easy for him to claim that all year last year. Then come the deadline, he got gunshy, and when the Magic forced his hand, the Magic won. It's the same deal this year, except now we don't have Brooklyn able to sign him outright, which is a huge factor.

Now the alternatives are not so appealing. There's Dallas with an aging Dirk, and Atlanta. And I've never seen him express much interest in the Hawks and IMO, I don't see him reaching any levels that he didn't already reach in Orlando, with them. At least with Orlando, he has the appeal that he can be seen as a Superstar that decided to stay which has motivated him in the past, and no matter what facade he's trying to put up to force his way out of Orlando, when he is forced to make the decision of whether to stay or leave, I would think that's still a factor in his thought process.

Those are the two serious suitors, but none of them come anywhere near what Brooklyn with Deron Williams were offering. Even if you don't believe Dwight stayed because he's emotionally tied to Orlando, if you think it was strictly a business decision... if Dwight was not willing to give up that extra year and $30 million overall on his next contract for the Nets, then why am I supposed to think he'll leave that on the table for Atlanta and Dallas? If we still have him next summer, I can see a scenario where Hennigan is able to show Dwight that we have a brighter future than Dallas and Atlanta. I'm not saying it's likely. But I can see it.

Now back to the beginning... if the Magic trade Dwight, it should be a deal that is worthwhile to give up the chance to keep Dwight. And to me, Bynum straight up is not worth that. If we bring in Bynum, and he doesn't have an already signed extension, then we're in the same situation with a lesser player, and with a player that has no history with Orlando. And if he is locked in long-term, there's the risks that come with committing to Bynum and his injury history to a brand new long-term contract where he's taking up maximum money of your cap for 4-5 years, we all remember how crippling having an injury proned player taking up all that cap space can be. If it's the Houston deal, I don't think 1 pick, Jeremy Lamb, and taking a bad contract is worth it. There is a deal I'd take from Houston, but from the sounds of it, they're not offering it. And if the Nets find their way back in it, I'd rather let Dwight walk away for nothing than take Lopez's contract. I think the Cleveland deal is better than most people think, but still, not worth it to me.

Lastly, I think a lot of people overrate the need to get something back for Dwight. Letting Dwight leave for nothing is a viable option, and I think the Magic would recover just fine with Hennigan at the helm. And at least with that option, there's the opportunity the 2nd best player in the league stays with the Magic long-term. And I don't need to explain the upside if that scenario became a reality.

• Upvote 3

The Magic shouldn't trade Dwight just to trade Dwight. It needs to be a deal that is worthwhile. A deal good enough that Hennigan gives up the opportunity to keep him next year. I don't care how certain anyone is that Dwight is leaving, even if it's Dwight himself that claims to be 100% certain he wants to leave; A LOT can happen in a year. And Dwight's side has already shown that his mindset is heavily influenced by the situation.

TODAY, it's easy for him to claim he's never coming back to Orlando. Just like it was easy for him to claim that all year last year. Then come the deadline, he got gunshy, and when the Magic forced his hand, the Magic won. It's the same deal this year, except now we don't have Brooklyn able to sign him outright, which is a huge factor.

Now the alternatives are not so appealing. There's Dallas with an aging Dirk, and Atlanta. And I've never seen him express much interest in the Hawks and IMO, I don't see him reaching any levels that he didn't already reach in Orlando, with them. At least with Orlando, he has the appeal that he can be seen as a Superstar that decided to stay which has motivated him in the past, and no matter what facade he's trying to put up to force his way out of Orlando, when he is forced to make the decision of whether to stay or leave, I would think that's still a factor in his thought process.

Those are the two serious suitors, but none of them come anywhere near what Brooklyn with Deron Williams were offering. Even if you don't believe Dwight stayed because he's emotionally tied to Orlando, if you think it was strictly a business decision... if Dwight was not willing to give up that extra year and $30 million overall on his next contract for the Nets, then why am I supposed to think he'll leave that on the table for Atlanta and Dallas? If we still have him next summer, I can see a scenario where Hennigan is able to show Dwight that we have a brighter future than Dallas and Atlanta. I'm not saying it's likely. But I can see it.

Now back to the beginning... if the Magic trade Dwight, it should be a deal that is worthwhile to give up the chance to keep Dwight. And to me, Bynum straight up is not worth that. If we bring in Bynum, and he doesn't have an already signed extension, then we're in the same situation with a lesser player, and with a player that has no history with Orlando. And if he is locked in long-term, there's the risks that come with committing to Bynum and his injury history to a brand new long-term contract where he's taking up maximum money of your cap for 4-5 years, we all remember how crippling having an injury proned player taking up all that cap space can be. If it's the Houston deal, I don't think 1 pick, Jeremy Lamb, and taking a bad contract is worth it. There is a deal I'd take from Houston, but from the sounds of it, they're not offering it. And if the Nets find their way back in it, I'd rather let Dwight walk away for nothing than take Lopez's contract. I think the Cleveland deal is better than most people think, but still, not worth it to me.

Lastly, I think a lot of people overrate the need to get something back for Dwight. Letting Dwight leave for nothing is a viable option, and I think the Magic would recover just fine with Hennigan at the helm. And at least with that option, there's the opportunity the 2nd best player in the league stays with the Magic long-term. And I don't need to explain the upside if that scenario became a reality.

I would just like to point out some food for thought. If your a team with the best player at his position and you and (everyone else) knows you are gonna lose him, when was the last time you saw a trade in which the second best option was involved? Whats better is that not only could you have the the second best option, you could choose to pass on Bynum in favor of shedding MORE contracts, get prospects and picks so they can rebuild OKC style (let's face it, that's why Hennigan is there).

I would say thats a pretty good deal for a team with its back against the wall. But that's just me.

I would just like to point out some food for thought. If your a team with the best player at his position and you and (everyone else) knows you are gonna lose him, when was the last time you saw a trade in which the second best option was involved? Whats better is that not only could you have the the second best option, you could choose to pass on Bynum in favor of shedding MORE contracts, get prospects and picks so they can rebuild OKC style (let's face it, that's why Hennigan is there).

I would say thats a pretty good deal for a team with its back against the wall. But that's just me.

1. I'm not sure there is anyone here that likes the idea of taking back Bynum, and his knees, even if he is the "second best option".

2. Who is taking these contracts, and giving up these prospects and picks, you speak of?

I doubt Hennigan was hired to turn an anchored down team of Dwight Howard and a lackluster cast into an anchored down team of Andrew Bynum and a lackluster cast. Bynum makes the Magic too good to get better, but too bad to matter. The mediocrity treadmill.

1. I'm not sure there is anyone here that likes the idea of taking back Bynum, and his knees, even if he is the "second best option".

2. Who is taking these contracts, and giving up these prospects and picks, you speak of?

1. Fine. Take a max contract Brook Lopez instead lol.

2. Three-team trade with Cleveland or Houston. Their picks and prospects vary but you can dumb one bad contract on the Lakers and at least one on Cleveland/Houston.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but beggars can't be choosers here. I'm not exactly sure what realistic deal you guys are hoping to get for Howard at this point.

I doubt Hennigan was hired to turn an anchored down team of Dwight Howard and a lackluster cast into an anchored down team of Andrew Bynum and a lackluster cast. Bynum makes the Magic too good to get better, but too bad to matter. The mediocrity treadmill.

Then would you agree with the other point I made about the three-team trade in which Orlando gets the picks, prospects, and sheds bad contracts so Orlando can rebuild OKC style as many suspect Hennigan was hired for?

Then would you agree with the other point I made about the three-team trade in which Orlando gets the picks, prospects, and sheds bad contracts so Orlando can rebuild OKC style as many suspect Hennigan was hired for?

That's the return everybody here is hoping for. As a Rockets fan, I'd rather have Dwight, but to Orlando as long as they get the Houston package they aren't too picky as to who ends up where.