Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

That same scenario has been discussed many times and for some reason the trade didn't happen

Perhaps because Houston just signed its rookies and can't trade them til the end of the month? Cleveland not until August 14th? Isn't the earliest date rookies can be traded in 3 days?

Perhaps a deal could be made in principle but I wouldn't know, honestly.

I need to see Bynum healthy for another half year before even considering doing a dwight/AB swap in the meantime, all Orlando can do is be patient, besides if Dwight misses the beginning of the season i doubt most teams would trade for him til he plays anyways.

Regardless of what Dwight, Rudolph and HWNSNBU want, it's in everyones best interest to start with the Magic, if he were traded to Houston and "couldn't play" it would look really bad, and in LA Laker fans would turn on him pretty quickly knowing they'd be trading Bynum for possible damaged goods.

• Upvote 1

Could you elaborate please?

There's a few angles to this.

1. Dwight would be leaving 30 mil on the table if Orlando keeps him and will let him walk.

2. Orlando doesn't wanna be tied down to Bynum and his knees for 5 years and would probably prefer an all out rebuilding situation and try to come back strong with alot of young talent and alot of cap space in 3 years.

side note, does anyone think these shoe deals kind of circumvent the rules? if adidas told dwight they would make up the difference of the 30 M and then some for being in a bigger market, doesn't that seem somewhat illegal?

The Nike culture really is ruining the competitive balance

Could you elaborate please?

Some of what the last guy said. 1st Magic could call his bluff and see if he'll leave 30 mil on the table. Also Dwight brings money to that arena and city. I can see Orlando holding on to him. They don't seem serious about trading him....

There's a few angles to this.

1. Dwight would be leaving 30 mil on the table if Orlando keeps him and will let him walk.

2. Orlando doesn't wanna be tied down to Bynum and his knees for 5 years and would probably prefer an all out rebuilding situation and try to come back strong with alot of young talent and alot of cap space in 3 years.

side note, does anyone think these shoe deals kind of circumvent the rules? if adidas told dwight they would make up the difference of the 30 M and then some for being in a bigger market, doesn't that seem somewhat illegal?

1. I don't see Howard staying after making the mistake (in his mind) of opting into his contract. I just can't see him doing that again. I would give credit to this argument prior to opting in, but I think it's far too late for that song and dance after the fiasco we are witnessing. The relationship is beyond repair.

2. Why does it have to be a direct trade with the Lakers? Why not let Cleveland or Houston facilitate and let them take on one of the bad contracts but give you picks and prospects? As I said before, the package would not be as good as one if they were to acquire Howard long-term, but wouldn't it still be pretty good in the Orlando FO's mind?

In response to your side note, Adidas can merely influence Howard with where he goes with money. They can't force him. This is how sports endorsements have worked for decades and for decades to come. It's not exactly fair to most teams, but it isn't illegal.

Nah. It's perfectly legal. I can also totally understand why a player would go to great lengths to make a shoe deal like that happen. The problem is that because the NBA is so f-in broken, a player CAN make it happen.

It's a bit like government.

1. I don't see Howard staying after making the mistake (in his mind) of opting into his contract. I just can't see him doing that again. I would give credit to this argument prior to opting in, but I think it's far too late for that song and dance after the fiasco we are witnessing. The relationship is beyond repair.

2. Why does it have to be a direct trade with the Lakers? Why not let Cleveland or Houston facilitate and let them take on one of the bad contracts but give you picks and prospects? As I said before, the package would not be as good as one if they were to acquire Howard long-term, but wouldn't it still be pretty good in the Orlando FO's mind?

In response to your side note, Adidas can merely influence Howard with where he goes with money. They can't force him. This is how sports endorsements have worked for decades and for decades to come. It's not exactly fair to most teams, but it isn't illegal.

i don't like the cavs as a facilitator, given their ridiculous positions of not wanting to give up anything of value. as for dwight opting in, he has to live with that, and nobody around here takes well to him making all his proclamations march 15th, only to either A)Want a trade to be re-visited later or B)Demand another trade a few weeks after the opt in.

Some of what the last guy said. 1st Magic could call his bluff and see if he'll leave 30 mil on the table. Also Dwight brings money to that arena and city. I can see Orlando holding on to him. They don't seem serious about trading him....

No.