Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

Exactly, Dwight and HWNSNBU are just trying to take back the power but the truth is they don't have any. Dwight basically resigns to whatever team we trade him to(or goes to Dallas) if he wants a max deal(which he does). It's still all about whatever team gives us the best package, and it's likely that would be the Rockets.

If Dwight can't get to whatever his preferred destination is, I think he would be perfectly fine with signing with HOU. Once he gets acclimated with the culture over there, and the fans, he'll prob fall in love.

I don't see how this is news...anyone who thought he would sign any kind of extension is crazy. It makes zero financial sense to sign one (unless you think you are hurt and cant come back from it..). I never once thought he would and he would be stupid to do so. The NBA screwed themselves with this rule.

The current team should be able to sign their own free agents to extensions that don't punish the player financially for signing early. It should be just as if they went to free agency and signed.

The current team should be able to sign their own free agents to extensions that don't punish the player financially for signing early. It should be just as if they went to free agency and signed.

But how would they be able to get star players to the star markets without that ability?

• Upvote 1

But how would they be able to get star players to the star markets without that ability?

3 thoughts in reading the last 10 pages...

1. When evaluating what Houston and Cleveland have to offer, I think we need to keep in mind that we aren't looking for the future face of the franchise. We are looking for good role players. When Cleveland talks about having more picks, getting Parsons who can play defense on most SF and distribute the ball is, in my mind, better than getting a mid 20s first round pick which could end up being a bust. Without question Henny wants picks (for future moves), but good role players are more valuable at this point as far as I'm concerned. Let the role players play for a year or two. Get some good first round picks and then start using cap space to bring in a new face of the franchise or two and have them surrounded by talented role players.

2. RDV needs to get on the telephone to the people at Addidas and tell them that Amway wants to start selling Addidas products (no idea if they already do - if so, use the existing relationship for the following). While on the phone, tell the addidias people that if Dwight ends up in Houston with Lin, the entire China market will be clamaring for their shoes. Then sit back and see hoe long it takes for HWNSNBU to start droping hints about Dwight liking Houston.

3. The last thing this team needs is a high paid PF in return for Dwight. Especially one on a long term deal. We have BBD already. WHile I love his professional demeanor, he has a long contract and we have a 1st round pick that we need to force feed minutes at PF if we are going to tank this year. BBD can play center so that isn't a huge problem, but add another high price long term PF and we have a problem.

Yeah probably not, J.Rich and Turk in combo would blow. Feel bad you guys have had to deal with these insane contracts for so long, haha. Thanks for giving us the opportunity!!

And Joseph_Kuhr - Varejao might not be right for Orlando after all of this nonsense, but it's silly to say he's not a good player. Double-double every night, players killer defense, and hustles his ass off while harassing everyone on the opposing team. Very few guys in the league bring that to the table. Would hate him if he wasn't on my team as well, but he's severely underrated as a player. Offense is one thing, winning ball is another.

Varejao is not a good player when compared to Howard. Waiters would have to part of that deal for the Magic to even consider it, Houston has much more to offer - it looks like Houston is not offering enough for Henny - if it is one rookie, one or two draft picks and taking back 1 contract than I agree that is not enough.

Lamb looks like a good player, but he is the number 12 pick in the draft - being a star in summer league is different than playing in the NBA - sometimes people want to put him at a similar level as Dwight.

Cleveland IMO has about a 0 shot in what they are offering - as bad a proposal as Nets - maybe worse.

"Dwight's position has remained unchanged since the end of this past season," said Dan HWNSNBU of LaGardere Unlimited. "He fully intends to explore free agency at the end of next season, regardless of what team trades for him, including Brooklyn."

If HWNSNBU is saying this in an effort to remove Houston from the mix I say we just go ahead and trade him to Houston anyway. The Lakers do not have the cap space to sign him outright, no major market team does. The hit financially that Dwight and HWNSNBU would take by not getting the max length contract and the max Adidas money would be a large enough chunk that there is no way these guys are going to mess with a trade to LA or Houston, just call their bluff.

I think HWNSNBU's comment means he won't sign an extension. He'll get a bigger contract by not signing an extension. Not signing an extension right now doesn't mean he won't sign a deal wherever he goes. Dwight should not sign an extension anywhere - he'll get more money waiting like Chris Paul. The risk is him getting injured - a career ending injury would mean this is the last year he gets a big NBA contract.

Or even letting him walk after the season would throw a wrench in their plans, wouldn't it? Only teams with the room to sign him are pretty small-market, right? Aside from maybe Dallas?

I think Dallas is the only team and Atlanta that would be appealing to him. Dallas is the 5th largest TV market, Atlanta is the 9th largest and Houston is the 10th largest. NY is around 6.4 percent, LA around 4.9 percent, Chicago is over 3 percent, I think Philly is around 2.6 percent then it drops to around 2.2 percent with Houston around 1.9%.

With what teams are offering - Cleveland and LA especially we could just let Howard walk and enjoy booing him all season - I would go to some games just to boo Howard - if he doesn't start and is on the bench I would want them to introduce him each game and make him show up to get paid.

And, injured for his fourth consecutive game - Dwight Howard - boo's - and give the crowd time to savor the boos and show Howard on the big screen - just have the arena quiet to accentuate the boos.

Okay so my straps got a little tight. I'm loosening them a bit right now. Phew

Hey Soul Bro, go on outside, walk around, it looks like it might be a while - at least until Asik is signed. Maybe a lot longer.

I think we need to watch for the Asik offer sheet to come out. That seems to be the piece Hennigan & Houston are waiting for. The rest seems like posturing from all the various camps.

HWNSNBU/Dwight wanting to go to somewhere of his choosing

Houston wanting to limit what they would give up

Magic wanting to increase the assets coming in

Personally I think that Hennigan has already decided that he likes the Houston deal best. It fits with all the news we've heard about what he is looking for in cap flexibility, young talent on rookie contracts, draft picks. Its just a matter of how much we send out and how much we get back.

I'm not strapping in (ok well I cant totally pretend I havent been refreshing the screen looking for news) till the offer sheet has been submitted and we are at day 2.5 of Chicago's timeline to answer.

In the meantime Hennigan will sit back and listen to all that comes his way that might try and either, improve Houston's available pieces to negotiate with, or see if the Lakers can find a partner to increase their bid.

Hello everyone,

I am a long time Rockets fan and am curious about Howard's back. Any new info? As you guys already know ... we are not lucky with our stars staying healthy.