Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

I resisted the urge to join for over two weeks, but can't hold out anymore.

The above is to me the brilliance of Henny. Dwight ruined his trade value by saying he would be a rental to anyone but BN. The packages from Houston and LA are based on Dwight as a rental. Henny waits it out. I'd imagine the conversation with Dwight was basically something along the lines of "The BN trade made absolutely no sense for the organization and wasn't close to what the Magic need to keep fans from burining down the arena. So, what do you want to do? There are a few offers out there for you as a rental, but frankly they aren't all that great either. If you'd be open to staying long term with a few teams we might be able to get something done. Otherwise, we are inclined to just keep you and try to win this year. Maybe you'll change your mind and stay long term, maybe you will pout and never suit up for us again. Bottom line is if we don't get you traded and you play out your contract, we won't be doing a sign and trade because we want max cap space in the summer of 2013 if you aren't going to be around. So if we don't trade you, there won't be a 5th year on your new contract."

No idea what that would do to Dwight's camp. I don't see rational/logical thought as their fortay. Assume for the moment that passing up the commission on an additional $20 million actually gets Fagan's attention and Dwight will state that he intends to comit long term to HOU or LA, I'd guess the return to us gets significantly better.

But here is the funny thing... even if it doesn't get better, I still think Henny pulls the trigger before camp. I've read the debate on here about keeping Dwight and just letting him walk. DOB can tell me if my math is way off, but it looks to me like if Houston will take JRich, our cap fleximibility is the same if we do a rental with Houston as it would be if we just let Dwight walk. The difference is if we do the trade we would have Parsons (Patterson makes no sense given that we have Baby and Andrew at the 4), Lamb/White and Tor's #1 instead of JRich. On the otherhand, if we do an LA rental we simply trade Dwight for Bynum and McRoberts and get the same cap space we had if Dwight simply walked... but have no future assets unless we want Bynum long term (then we would have a leg up because we could offer the 5th year).

My mental image of this production is everyone is running around trying to figure out their next move and Henny is just sitting back and waiting for it to all play out because whenever Dwight gets moved, Henny is going to end up with enough cap space for two max (or at least close to max) contracts next summer and possibly additional pieces/picks to help this franchise in the future.

Isn't it nice to think we might have the smartest guy in the room on our side for a change?

TL;DR

Just kidding, someone was gonna say that anyways, I agree with you about Hennigan. He has a deep thought process 4 every move.

Isn't it nice to think we might have the smartest guy in the room on our side for a change?

That statement can go either way here. Expect soul to come up with some pics and jareth to come up with some sort of reply..

I can't believe you people just lining up to take Dwight back. Must be the same people that take their wife when she's banging out the pool guy while your at work making money for her to go buy a new purse. (no this hasn't happened to me, i'm 22) But seriously people man up. Dwight doesn't wanna be here the guy hasn't stepped foot in his own Orlando house for 3 months. Live with it.

If Howard did resign were once again stuck in cap hell with terrible contracts that we won't be able to move and will finish at best 6th in the east behind Miami, BRK, Bos, Ind and Chi.

Time to grow a spine and move on.

Would you guys quit comparing this situation to women? It's stupid and makes you look like you have never had a GF before.

DOB can tell me if my math is way off, but it looks to me like if Houston will take JRich, our cap fleximibility is the same if we do a rental with Houston as it would be if we just let Dwight walk. The difference is if we do the trade we would have Parsons (Patterson makes no sense given that we have Baby and Andrew at the 4), Lamb/White and Tor's #1 instead of JRich.

Consider this as well, there has been talk of getting Houston's 2014 first rounder in the deal. If Dwight walks from Houston next Summer, Houston's 2013-2014 season is going to be pretty lousy. Of course, so will ours. In that scenario, we could end up with two high lottery picks in the 2014 draft, ours, and Houston's.

I resisted the urge to join for over two weeks, but can't hold out anymore.

The above is to me the brilliance of Henny. Dwight ruined his trade value by saying he would be a rental to anyone but BN. The packages from Houston and LA are based on Dwight as a rental. Henny waits it out. I'd imagine the conversation with Dwight was basically something along the lines of "The BN trade made absolutely no sense for the organization and wasn't close to what the Magic need to keep fans from burining down the arena. So, what do you want to do? There are a few offers out there for you as a rental, but frankly they aren't all that great either. If you'd be open to staying long term with a few teams we might be able to get something done. Otherwise, we are inclined to just keep you and try to win this year. Maybe you'll change your mind and stay long term, maybe you will pout and never suit up for us again. Bottom line is if we don't get you traded and you play out your contract, we won't be doing a sign and trade because we want max cap space in the summer of 2013 if you aren't going to be around. So if we don't trade you, there won't be a 5th year on your new contract."

No idea what that would do to Dwight's camp. I don't see rational/logical thought as their fortay. Assume for the moment that passing up the commission on an additional $20 million actually gets Fagan's attention and Dwight will state that he intends to comit long term to HOU or LA, I'd guess the return to us gets significantly better.

But here is the funny thing... even if it doesn't get better, I still think Henny pulls the trigger before camp. I've read the debate on here about keeping Dwight and just letting him walk. DOB can tell me if my math is way off, but it looks to me like if Houston will take JRich, our cap fleximibility is the same if we do a rental with Houston as it would be if we just let Dwight walk. The difference is if we do the trade we would have Parsons (Patterson makes no sense given that we have Baby and Andrew at the 4), Lamb/White and Tor's #1 instead of JRich. On the otherhand, if we do an LA rental we simply trade Dwight for Bynum and McRoberts and get the same cap space we had if Dwight simply walked... but have no future assets unless we want Bynum long term (then we would have a leg up because we could offer the 5th year).

My mental image of this production is everyone is running around trying to figure out their next move and Henny is just sitting back and waiting for it to all play out because whenever Dwight gets moved, Henny is going to end up with enough cap space for two max (or at least close to max) contracts next summer and possibly additional pieces/picks to help this franchise in the future.

Very well put. Marc Daniels said something today that made alot of sense. He said that now we have a GM that doesn't have an emotional tie to neither Dwight or the Magic, we finally have someone who can put feelings aside and do what's best, not what Devos or Alex wants. That made me feel better. I think Henny is going to save this franchise and hopefully lead us to a title. He has, SO FAR, done everything the way it should be done.

I have high hopes for ORL. I just don't know if that includes Dwight yet. I hope it does, but if not, I'm sure I'll root just as hard for who we have on the court as I did for the past 20+ years.

Consider this as well, there has been talk of getting Houston's 2014 first rounder in the deal. If Dwight walks from Houston next Summer, Houston's 2013-2014 season is going to be pretty lousy. Of course, so will ours. In that scenario, we could end up with two high lottery picks in the 2014 draft, ours, and Houston's.

Houston owes Atlanta their lottery protected pick next year, and rolls over to 2016 if we don't make the playoffs until then. Until the requirement is met, the Rockets are not allowed to trade any of their first rounders until 2017.

Ok, question for those who understand the salary cap rules and signing rules ...

If Dwight agreed .... could the Magic sign him to a max contract now as part of a sign and trade or does Dwight have to wait until his contract is expiring to sign a 5 year deal? Could the Magic extend him now for 4 or 5 years as part of a sign and trade since he doesn't want to be in Orlando?

If Houston signed him, would they have to wait until the end of the season to offer him a 5 year contract? If they could get him to extend could they do it during the season - could they do 4 years or 5 years?

In regard to the extra money - if Dwight signed with someone else after 4 years, he basically wouldn't be losing any money - he would just be getting his fifth year in the first year of a new contract - just running the risk of getting injured and not getting a new contract after 4 years.

How much more can he get over 4 years? - how much more money can he get over 4 years with his current team - now the Magic, but hopefully soon the Rockets.

Here is your opportunity to share/show your knowledge.

He could, if not injured sign two or three consecutive 4 year deals - thus a 5 year deal may not make that much of a difference.

Feel free to correct me - when adding a 5th year they talk about all the money that he would be turning down, but again if not injured he would get it the first year of a new deal.

Houston owes Atlanta their lottery protected pick next year, and rolls over to 2016 if we don't make the playoffs until then. Until the requirement is met, the Rockets are not allowed to trade any of their first rounders until 2017.

So, then can you confirm that all the first rounders being discussed in these supposed deals that were coming from Houston to Orlando were 2017 and later (aside from the Toronto one)?

So, then can you confirm that all the first rounders being discussed in these supposed deals that were coming from Houston to Orlando were 2017 and later (aside from the Toronto one)?

Listen boy. Do your research. Houston is not trading any of their own picks because of the protection on the Atlanta pick, they can't (for awhile) and you can only trade picks 7 years out. Have you not read Larry Coon's FAQ you doof.

The picks being discussed are the ones that are owed to them. Stop acting like you know more than a 5th grader.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Listen boy. Do your research. Houston is not trading any of their own picks because of the protection on the Atlanta pick, they can't (for awhile) and you can only trade picks 7 years out. Have you not read Larry Coon's FAQ you doof.

The picks being discussed are the ones that are owed to them. Stop acting like you know more than a 5th grader.

Wow. Do you want to try that one again?