Sign in to follow this  
the notorious S.A.C.

If the Nets win the lottery would you trade Dwight?

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would you do Dwight for Anthony Davis and filler?

• Yes
    • No

Interesting that we now have a much more polished player on our hands in Dwight and the rumors indicating that if the Nets were to win the lottery we would send Dwight to the Nets for Davis, relief and fillers. Would any of you bite at this point if Dwight doesnt extend? While the Nets may not even make the trade and wait until Dwight comes for nothing next season.

I will say this possibility can help us in a variety of ways including clearing the awful contracts Otis brought in and getting a low salaried Davis for 4 years. It kind of reminds me of when some person proposed trading Dwight for Oden except Dwight was a lot less polished and Oden was a much better big man prospect than Davis....

Interesting that we now have a much more polished player on our hands in Dwight and the rumors indicating that if the Nets were to win the lottery we would send Dwight to the Nets for Davis, relief and fillers. Would any of you bite at this point if Dwight doesnt extend? While the Nets may not even make the trade and wait until Dwight comes for nothing next season.

I will say this possibility can help us in a variety of ways including clearing the awful contracts Otis brought in and getting a low salaried Davis for 4 years. It kind of reminds me of when some person proposed trading Dwight for Oden except Dwight was a lot less polished and Oden was a much better big man prospect than Davis....

I still say no because there literally isn't another player on the Net's roster who is even remotely someone I see on a playoff team.

Marshon Brooks is a poor man's JR Smith, Lopez is angel soft, their point guards are trash, Morrow is a poor man's JJ. They're a really bad team and if they manage to somehow pull in Deron Williams and Dwight Howard in trades with a garbage team, it really goes to show how bad the NBA is right now.

• Upvote 2

I think we'd need to know a lot more.

Which way is Deron Williams really leaning? If he stays in Jersey no matter what, then their dream could stay the same. If he doesn't, that plan won't work.

Do the Nets have the cap room left to take back signficant salary in a trade involving Dwight? Now Lopez and Wallace are free agents and have cap holds. Will they sign offer sheets with another team, and if they do, will the Nets let them walk to free up more cap space if the Magic are not interested in them (no idea whether they are), or will they match?

Will the Nets have enough cap space if the Magic do not trade Dwight to them to be able to sign him outright? Both Wallace and Lopez are free agents of one kind or another and something will have to be done with them. Will they sign offer sheets with another team? If they re-sign one or both of them, even if D-Will stays, they then will have to get them off the books. Or, if they do sign-and-trades involving them, would they get back someone we might prefer to one or both of them?

The thing is, if you are trading for a player like Anthony Davis and you do not have a Dwight Howard to play alongside him, how long is it going to take him to come along? It took the Magic two or three years after Dwight got here (and bringing in SVG) to make the playoffs. So, even if Davis is one of the best players in the world. it's going to take time. And I think in the new labor deal, you only get four years before a guy can be a free agent. (Owners picking at the top of the draft are going to regret that change in the labor agreement.)

Give me Lopez and the #1 pick and filler while they take Dwight and Hedo.

Yeah, but they wouldn't be able to take those 2 contracts.

3rd team maybe

If Dwight doesn't agree to sign long term we have to trade him before the season starts to get max value. I like this 3 team deal if the Nets get the 1-3 pick:

Suns trade Gortat and Nash S&T

Suns get Lopez S&T and Nelson and cash

Nets trade 1-3 pick, Lopez S&T, Morrow, Brooks, and Green

Nets Get Dwight, Turk, Duhon

Magic trade Dwight, Nelson S&T, Turk, and Duhon & $3Mil

Magic get Net's 1-3 pick, Gortat, Nash, Morrow, Green, and Brooks

We see if JRich resurges with Nash or trade him at the deadline for a pack of gum and a TPE

• Downvote 3

If Dwight doesn't agree to sign long term we have to trade him before the season starts to get max value. I like this 3 team deal if the Nets get the 1-3 pick:

Suns trade Gortat and Nash S&T

Suns get Lopez S&T and Nelson and cash

Nets trade 1-3 pick, Lopez S&T, Morrow, Brooks, and Green

Nets Get Dwight, Turk, Duhon

Magic trade Dwight, Nelson S&T, Turk, and Duhon & $3Mil

Magic get Net's 1-3 pick, Gortat, Nash, Morrow, Green, and Brooks

We see if JRich resurges with Nash or trade him at the deadline for a pack of gum and a TPE

No, if Dwight refuses to re-sign, we let him walk and get max cap room with him gone, Jameer gone, JJ gone, Hedo gone, Duhon gone. Then rebuild the Spurs/Thunder way.

Lopez will be 8-10 million a year which is ridiculous. No way Nash comes here w/o Dwight. Gortat is a nice piece and reasonable contract, Morrow makes too much, Brooks and Green are both bleh.

Roll the dice and let him walk.

I think we'd need to know a lot more.

Which way is Deron Williams really leaning? If he stays in Jersey no matter what, then their dream could stay the same. If he doesn't, that plan won't work.

Do the Nets have the cap room left to take back signficant salary in a trade involving Dwight? Now Lopez and Wallace are free agents and have cap holds. Will they sign offer sheets with another team, and if they do, will the Nets let them walk to free up more cap space if the Magic are not interested in them (no idea whether they are), or will they match?

Will the Nets have enough cap space if the Magic do not trade Dwight to them to be able to sign him outright? Both Wallace and Lopez are free agents of one kind or another and something will have to be done with them. Will they sign offer sheets with another team? If they re-sign one or both of them, even if D-Will stays, they then will have to get them off the books. Or, if they do sign-and-trades involving them, would they get back someone we might prefer to one or both of them?

The thing is, if you are trading for a player like Anthony Davis and you do not have a Dwight Howard to play alongside him, how long is it going to take him to come along? It took the Magic two or three years after Dwight got here (and bringing in SVG) to make the playoffs. So, even if Davis is one of the best players in the world. it's going to take time. And I think in the new labor deal, you only get four years before a guy can be a free agent. (Owners picking at the top of the draft are going to regret that change in the labor agreement.)

Agree with a lot of what's being said here. If we trade off Dwight for picks (which is really the only way to rebuild), look no further than the Sonics/Thunder for how it can be done.

It took them...what? Five years? Six? After Durant was drafted to get that team to the point where it was a legit threat out West. But they built that team right - good scouting, good drafting, young pieces: they're going to be a great team for a long while.

But trading Dwight for pieces like Lopez? That won't get it done.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes.

No question.

Even if Dwight does resign I'm not sold that he wont change his mind and request to be traded down the road. I don't necessarilly think Davis will be better than Dwight but he does have that potential.

Davis has a kevin garnett type of ceiling.

worst case scenario he's marcus camby.