God Hates Otis Smith

Dwight needs to hang out with Tim Duncan

No, I put Zara on ignore a while ago when he/she started trolling a thread I'd made in a transparent attempt to bait me into an argument.

Interesting twist, I troll.

"The days with guys like him" never existed.

Bird and Jordan were both monolithic assholes. Magic Johnson was a grinning jackass. Hakeem spent most of his early years as a selfish hot-head who demanded trades left and right. Zeke was a selfish dick. I won't even go into Barkley, KG or Shaq. Kareem and Wilt were so obsessed over who was better, that their salaries became a game of one-upsmanship. Oscar Robertson was stand-offish on the court and worse off it. Rick Barry was just a deplorable person.

Have there been players who were awesome, totally humble human beings? Of course there have, but actually ask yourself: how many people do you know at YOUR job who are humble, kind and hardworking? Is it even 20%? Now ask yourself how many in that group are also one of the best to ever exist in their chosen field?

You've now set a criteria for NBA players where, at most, like 6 people in the course of the sport's history qualify.

And it has nothing to do with marketing, and little to do with David Robinson either: Duncan was the exact same guy at Wake that he was his first few years in the NBA. At most, Robinson might have shielded Duncan from some negative aspects of media coverage, but it likely wasn't much: Duncan finished 5th in the MVP voting as a rookie. He finished 3rd in the MVP voting and won the Finals MVP as a sophomore. He wasn't under the radar. He didn't need time to develop or mature. He entered the league as one of its greatest players.

Duncan was great. He was ALWAYS great. And he was always humble and introverted. I don't understand why you all seem to want to take those traits away from him, or at least make them something he got from David Robinson, just so you can claim it's a personality that's available to everyone. It isn't. The person Duncan is won't ever be the person Dwight is, and that's FINE. Not-being-Duncan doesn't mean Dwight can't be great. Being-a-self-centered-******* doesn't mean Dwight can't be great either. Lord knows it never stopped Jordan, Barkley or Wilt.

But this idea that there were ever a whole lot of players "like Duncan" in the league? That's just nostalgia based revisionist history bull****, and that needs to stop. The only difference between today's superstars and the stars of previous years is access. They were the same gigantic asshats in the 90s, 80s, 70s and 60s. We just didn't find out about it as easily.

DOM you have routinely spouted a lot of knowledge on this forum, but this post may have just topped it all. This is serious post of the year material and something not only every fan on this forum should look at, but every basketball fan on every forum should look at. (And unlike many of your other posts, I didn't have to take a bathroom break in the middle while reading it.)

This is pure truth right. Dwight, Lebron and Kobe are no different then Shaq, Magic and Jordan. Those players were all prima donnas and the fact is almost all athletes, wait scratch that, almost all CELEBRITIES ARE. These people operate in a completely different world then we do and expecting them to act the same way as we do is pretty much asinine.

Duncan is a gem of a player and everything good about the Spurs dynasty for the last 15 years has really all started from him.

While I wish Dwight would act like Duncan, there are very few star athletes who act like Duncan as someone already pointed out. Plus, the Spurs have consistently built excellent teams around Duncan over the years, even in his old age. Despite him not being the same player he was, the Spurs are 6-0 in the postseason and quietly could be the favorites to win a 5th ring.

Nameless Scrub: I appreciate the help(?) I guess, but I really just needed "Yes, you were spot on". Quoting the entire post just defeats the purpose of me having Zara on ignore.

I thought a "Yes, you were spot on" would have made me look like I'm actually siding with you.

But fair enough, my bad.

I thought a "Yes, you were spot on" would have made me look like I'm actually siding with you.

But fair enough, my bad.

"Siding" with me? Did Zara formally declare war against Drunk On Mystery, Scourge of the Ottoman Empire, in one of those posts I ignored?

"Siding" with me? Did Zara formally declare war against Drunk On Mystery, Scourge of the Ottoman Empire, in one of those posts I ignored?

He said "What a twist, I troll." In a reply to one of your posts.

I had to look up what a scourge was.. hehehe (English is the 2nd language after all)

In simple words, I don't want to say she's trolling. That's your point, not mine :shard:

"The days with guys like him" never existed.

Bird and Jordan were both monolithic assholes. Magic Johnson was a grinning jackass. Hakeem spent most of his early years as a selfish hot-head who demanded trades left and right. Zeke was a selfish dick. I won't even go into Barkley, KG or Shaq. Kareem and Wilt were so obsessed over who was better, that their salaries became a game of one-upsmanship. Oscar Robertson was stand-offish on the court and worse off it. Rick Barry was just a deplorable person.

Have there been players who were awesome, totally humble human beings? Of course there have, but actually ask yourself: how many people do you know at YOUR job who are humble, kind and hardworking? Is it even 20%? Now ask yourself how many in that group are also one of the best to ever exist in their chosen field?

You've now set a criteria for NBA players where, at most, like 6 people in the course of the sport's history qualify.

And it has nothing to do with marketing, and little to do with David Robinson either: Duncan was the exact same guy at Wake that he was his first few years in the NBA. At most, Robinson might have shielded Duncan from some negative aspects of media coverage, but it likely wasn't much: Duncan finished 5th in the MVP voting as a rookie. He finished 3rd in the MVP voting and won the Finals MVP as a sophomore. He wasn't under the radar. He didn't need time to develop or mature. He entered the league as one of its greatest players.

Duncan was great. He was ALWAYS great. And he was always humble and introverted. I don't understand why you all seem to want to take those traits away from him, or at least make them something he got from David Robinson, just so you can claim it's a personality that's available to everyone. It isn't. The person Duncan is won't ever be the person Dwight is, and that's FINE. Not-being-Duncan doesn't mean Dwight can't be great. Being-a-self-centered-******* doesn't mean Dwight can't be great either. Lord knows it never stopped Jordan, Barkley or Wilt.

But this idea that there were ever a whole lot of players "like Duncan" in the league? That's just nostalgia based revisionist history bull****, and that needs to stop. The only difference between today's superstars and the stars of previous years is access. They were the same gigantic asshats in the 90s, 80s, 70s and 60s. We just didn't find out about it as easily.

Posts like these are why I still read this forum. Well done, sir.

Remember waaayyyy back, when Otis said he wanted to model our franchise after the Spurs???

Poppovich/Buford -vs- Weisbrod/Otis

Poppovich -vs- BHill/SVG

Robinson -vs- Tree Rollins

Duncan -vs- Dwight

Tony Parker -vs- Jameer

Manu -vs- VC/JRich

Now look at the Spurs draft history:

Pick37, Dejaun Blair

Pick26, George Hill

Pick 45, Goran Dragic

Pick28, Tiago Splitter

Pick28, Leandro Barbosa

Pick26, John Salmons

Pick55, Luis Scola

Pick28, Tony Parker

Pick 57, Manu Ginobli

The Magic on the other hand chose to not workout or interview draft candidates, and probably would have been better off playing pin the tail on the draft pick.

In the end, Otis' strategy to model our team after San Antonio, ironically resembles Santa Anna's blunder at the Alamo - void of any discernable purpose.

Remember waaayyyy back, when Otis said he wanted to model our franchise after the Spurs???

Poppovich -vs- BHill/SVG

Duncan -vs- Dwight

Tony Parker -vs- Jameer

Manu -vs- VC/JRich

Pick37, Dejaun Blair

Pick26, George Hill

Pick 45, Goran Dragic

Pick28, Tiago Splitter

Pick28, Leandro Barbosa

Pick26, John Salmons

Pick55, Luis Scola

Pick28, Tony Parker

Pick 57, Manu Ginobli

The Magic on the other hand chose to not workout or interview draft candidates, and probably would have been better off playing pin the tail on the draft pick.

In the end, Otis' strategy to model our team after San Antonio, ironically resembles Santa Anna's blunder at the Alamo - void of any discernable purpose.

Too true, the reality is no one will ever come close to being able to draft like SAS. But to shoot to be like them is the answer, that said we need to try and get people who can make this happen. I would love to be able to poach a senior staff member in the Scouting department of the SAS.. Offer them the lead position and a chance to make their own history and name with the Orlando Magic.

Poppovich -vs- BHill/SVG

Duncan -vs- Dwight

Tony Parker -vs- Jameer

Manu -vs- VC/JRich

Pick37, Dejaun Blair

Pick26, George Hill

Pick 45, Goran Dragic

Pick28, Tiago Splitter

Pick28, Leandro Barbosa

Pick26, John Salmons

Pick55, Luis Scola

Pick28, Tony Parker

Pick 57, Manu Ginobli

And this is part of why the Spurs are one of my favorite teams.