1. 1. Who should return

• Dwight Howard
    • Stan
    • Fresh start - cut both loose

Mike D'Antoni playoff record against teams not named San Antonio

2004-2005: 8-2 (Lost in WCF to Spurs)

2005-2006: 10-10 (Lost in WCF to Mavs)

2006-2007: 4-1 (Lost to Spurs in Semis)

2007-2008: 0-0 (Lost to Spurs in first round)

In 05, Spurs won the title, in 06 the Mavs went to the title game, in 07, the Spurs won the title again, and in 08, the Spurs lost to the Lakers in the Western Conference finals.

Mike's Suns playoff record against teams not named the Spurs was 22-13. It was just a hump he couldn't get over moreso than his style not working.

And it's not that he's a better coach it's that I think his style fits this team better than Stan's does.

Why could he not get past the Spurs? Could it be that they were a defensive team and good defensive teams shut down running teams in the playoffs?? You are cracking me up with the D'Antoni stuff. Anyone want to place bets on how long it would take before everyone is calling for his head?

• Upvote 1

Why could he not get past the Spurs? Could it be that they were a defensive team and good defensive teams shut down running teams in the playoffs?? You are cracking me up with the D'Antoni stuff. Anyone want to place bets on how long it would take before everyone is calling for his head?

I mean no one got passed the spurs in two of the three years. And one of the years was when Nash got his face broken and Amar'e was suspended.

Not so much the Lakers, although if you call the addition of Pau in midseason a change then yes...since he directly led to their finals run that year, and helped Kobe take them over the top the next season.

Celtics? Of course, they have mailed in the reg season for years, then turn it up in the playoffs.

Remember I didn't say to change identity of the team, I just said its best to mix it up.

But that wasn't what I asked. Yes, just about every team cranks up the effort in the playoffs especially on D but do they change styles? I agree mixing it up is good and prior to Otis's brilliant strategy of adding AARP members to this team we did run when the opportunity presented itself. We are not a full time running team ala D'Antoni's PHX teams or Karl's Denver squads with Melo. Dwight does go straight to the rim and Hedo and Jameer used to go with him, now not so much.

It's not an identity issue so much as a personel issue. Am I the only person that see's Stan begging them to run from the side lines??

With regard to Stan vs Dwight it isn't a question of who you are backing. If the franchise player is saying it's him or me, unfortunatley the coach has to go. I don't agree with it and it shouldn't come to that but it's reality. I don't believe that the arguements being made here are whether to keep Stan or Dwight, the arguement is, is Stan at fault for the state of this team? That falls on Otis, and that is why I really wish there was a way to keep both Stan and Dwight.

I mean no one got passed the spurs in two of the three years. And one of the years was when Nash got his face broken and Amar'e was suspended.

So if D'Antoni is the guy for us why was he not able to adjust to deal with the Spurs? Are you saying that aside from that 1 yr the personel he had there could not have gotten the job done? An MVP PG and a dominant big? The reason he never got it done was because he never bothered with D. Because he was not willing to alter the way he does things. His style sells tickets and gets on ESPN but I would be willing to bet he never wins a title with it. He's a higher octane Don Nelson.

The idea of converting a slow, (comparatively) unathletic roster to a style best suited for players that actually want to run, while intriguing, is probably not the best idea.

So if D'Antoni is the guy for us why was he not able to adjust to deal with the Spurs? Are you saying that aside from that 1 yr the personel he had there could not have gotten the job done? An MVP PG and a dominant big? The reason he never got it done was because he never bothered with D. Because he was not willing to alter the way he does things. His style sells tickets and gets on ESPN but I would be willing to bet he never wins a title with it. He's a higher octane Don Nelson.

He also didn't have Dwight Howard. You can not be a bad defensive team with Dwight in the middle. New York was top 10 defensively this year because he finally had a big in Chandler that could run, play the pick and roll, and play defense. Dwight does all of those things better.

I don't have any real desire to go point by point on all the reasons why Dan doesn't understand defense, but I will say this:

Dan, no one who understands basketball will ever think anything more of you than "Wow, that guy's a complete moron" if you continue to insist that opponent's points per game means anything about defense.

It's doesn't. At all.

Also: if you're going to complain about people ignoring personnel changes from Stan's first year to Stan's second, you look like a giant, intellectually dishonest jackass when you then ignore personnel changes from Brian Hill's last season to Stan's first.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I don't have any real desire to go point by point on all the reasons why Dan doesn't understand defense, but I will say this:

Dan, no one who understands basketball will ever think anything more of you than "Wow, that guy's a complete moron" if you continue to insist that opponent's points per game means anything about defense.

It's doesn't. At all.

Also: if you're going to complain about people ignoring personnel changes from Stan's first year to Stan's second, you look like a giant, intellectually dishonest jackass when you then ignore personnel changes from Brian Hill's last season to Stan's first.

Knicks were top 10 in Drtg and top 10 in defensive efficiency. Points per game, Drtg, Defficiency, all top 10 with D'Antoni this year.

• Downvote 1

Knicks were top 10 in Drtg and top 10 in defensive efficiency. Points per game, Drtg, Defficiency, all top 10 with D'Antoni this year.

Ok, I'm curious.

Where in my post did you see me say anything about the Knicks?