Sign in to follow this  
Bauncey Chillups

2012 Draft Discussion Thread?

If I may, as A native of Olean (St. Bonaventure) I have been following Andrew for the last 4 years, and even have met and hung out with him on occasion.

Andrew is a stellar human being and a grade A class act. But more important to the Magic is

He is a baller, A true lunch pail kind of guy, his game has grown every year and he brings it always. The only possible knock is he does tend to get frustrated if he gets banged around a lot down low but I am sure they Magic will curtail that. Already possesses an NBA shot, can shot-block with the best of them and can get physical. He does need to beef up some for the NBA but I don't see that being much of a problem for him.

In 2 to 3 years I think the Magic fans will truly be thanking their lucky stars they got this guy. He is going to be something special!

Cant wait to see him with the #44 jersey on!

Thanks for insight! I'm looking forward to seeing this kid play.

• Upvote 1

Have you watched either of them play? I'm guessing no.

You guessed wrong.

It's so hilarious to see that all the Magic employees are on the board and posting vigorous defenses of our new GM's picks. What's the matter, no new Dwight-Stan-Otis gossip to leak to the press?

Since the draft, there were hardly any comments. Then I post some criticism and suddenly the Magic employees were alerted to the blasphemy and sprang into action.

Good job, guys. You're really earning Mr. DeVos's money.

Funny thing, though...outside of the SUDDEN interest from someone who claims to know Nicholson...I haven't seen anything from anyone that specifically addresses the strengths of these guys games, how they will improve the Magic, or why they were better fits for the team over a significant number of other players.

Nope...just criticism of me, and the fact that I've rooted for the Celtics long before Orlando even had a team.

Because...that's relevant...I guess I MUST hate the Magic, because I followed the NBA before 1989.

For what it's worth, every bit of NBA merchandise I own has the Orlando Magic on it. I have no Celtics gear.

If I may, as A native of Olean (St. Bonaventure) I have been following Andrew for the last 4 years, and even have met and hung out with him on occasion.

Andrew is a stellar human being and a grade A class act. But more important to the Magic is

He is a baller, A true lunch pail kind of guy, his game has grown every year and he brings it always. The only possible knock is he does tend to get frustrated if he gets banged around a lot down low but I am sure they Magic will curtail that. Already possesses an NBA shot, can shot-block with the best of them and can get physical. He does need to beef up some for the NBA but I don't see that being much of a problem for him.

In 2 to 3 years I think the Magic fans will truly be thanking their lucky stars they got this guy. He is going to be something special!

Cant wait to see him with the #44 jersey on!

Not sure how the Magic will curtail Nicholson getting banged around a lot down low when we couldn't even curtail that for Dwight.

The reason we drafted a PF was to prevent our other guys from getting banged around as much as they usually get banged around.

Not sure how the Magic will curtail Nicholson getting banged around a lot down low when we couldn't even curtail that for Dwight.

The reason we drafted a PF was to prevent our other guys from getting banged around as much as they usually get banged around.

Pretty sure he's talking about getting frustrated, not being banged around.

• Upvote 1

It's so hilarious to see that all the Magic employees are on the board and posting vigorous defenses of our new GM's picks. What's the matter, no new Dwight-Stan-Otis gossip to leak to the press?

Other than Dan, what Magic employees are posting on the forum?

Other than Dan, what Magic employees are posting on the forum?

Its probably to the past relevance of "Rally Caps". You, Echo, could possibly be part of this group of trouble makers. rolleyes.gif

You guessed wrong.

Since the draft, there were hardly any comments. Then I post some criticism and suddenly the Magic employees were alerted to the blasphemy and sprang into action.

Good job, guys. You're really earning Mr. DeVos's money.

Funny thing, though...outside of the SUDDEN interest from someone who claims to know Nicholson...I haven't seen anything from anyone that specifically addresses the strengths of these guys games, how they will improve the Magic, or why they were better fits for the team over a significant number of other players.

Nope...just criticism of me, and the fact that I've rooted for the Celtics long before Orlando even had a team.o

Because...that's relevant...I guess I MUST hate the Magic, because I followed the NBA before 1989.

For what it's worth, every bit of NBA merchandise I own has the Orlando Magic on it. I have no Celtics gear.

Lmao, this guy thinks the mods are paid employees. I'm going to drive my imaginary Porsche to my imaginary mansion in college park to roll around in the imaginary pile of money that the team pays me.

Lmao, this guy thinks the mods are paid employees. I'm going to drive my imaginary Porsche to my imaginary mansion in college park to roll around in the imaginary pile of money that the team pays me.

imaginary playa!

What an ignorant post. Because a guy isn't drafted, he must be terrible, right?

Ignorant.

For instance, SI had Nicholson ranked as the #8 PF, while Jones was the #10 PF. The reason I use the comparison is because they are both seniors and have a similar height (Nicholson is 6'9" and Jones is 6'8"). Nicholson goes #19 overall, Jones is undrafted (though he is considered by many to be the best available undrafted player).

But for comparative purposes, Jones played with great coaching (Bob Huggins) and was much more productive over a longer period of time. He is not some 9-game tournament phenom. He is the first WVU player to score 1,000 points since Jerry West.

The point is, there is no reason to take Nicholson at #19. You can get a very similar PF with superior coaching, production, leadership, and character at the bottom of the 2nd round. You can then use your #19 to address a more pressing concern.

I am not saying that Tyler Zeller is the end-all/be-all at Center. I am just pointing out that he is a guy we could have gotten IN THIS DRAFT. If you bothered to think about it for more than 5 seconds, you would see that we could have picked up a good PG at #19 in the draft too. I only pointed out Zeller because we took a center in the 2nd round.

The more important and broader point is that our philosophy and selection at both points in the draft was horrendous. It is not "only pick this player" in that position. I am pointing out the guys who WERE AVAILABLE in those slots, as well as the guys who are STILL AVAILABLE as of this moment.

Bottom line, most GMs are not very good at handling the draft, they do much more to assemble talent via trade and free agency BECAUSE they botch the drafts so badly. Anyone can make a reasonably good lottery pick, but many GMs screw up the later picks. They waste 2nd rounders (and occasionally a disastrous 1st rounder) on drafting foreigners who are not even going to be joining the team anytime soon. And they reach for guys with "potential" over guys with good coaching and solid production in competitive conferences.

So if I was going to make a head-to-head comparison, for now, I would only do it with Nicholson and Jones. Similar rankings and draft grades. Nicholson will be a wasted pick at #19, and Jones will be a steal for whoever signs him as a UFA.

The Magic botched this draft. If you can't see it...well, good luck rooting for future trades and FA signings to fix the missed opportunity of the draft.

Typical Boston fan. Just keep rooting for Hondo and KJ.

Only a Porsche?

Anyone know which former forum troll this O town Celtics/ Magic fan used to post as? There was the boston fan, Larrybird33, I think was his forum name. He has not been around in a while. That guy was actually entertaining though and seemed to at least have some smarts, while newbie just seems like an idiot. His posts are as dumb as three3d but he lacks the potty mouth. His style, if you can call it that, seems strangely familiar.