Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

SVG : "Kentucky can't beat the Wizards"

Stan Van Gundy said Wednesday the notion that Kentucky could beat an NBA team is "absurd."

The Orlando Magic coach was asked about comments by former Maryland coach Gary Williams, who told a Washington radio station he thought the Wildcats could beat the NBA's Washington Wizards in one game at Rupp Arena.

The Wildcats, the favorites to win the NCAA championship, have multiple players who are expected to be NBA lottery picks. Forward Anthony Davis could be the No. 1 overall pick if he enters the draft.

That's not enough for Van Gundy.

"Look, it's absurd," he said before the Magic lost to the New York Knicks, 108-86. "I mean, people will say, 'Oh, Kentucky, you know's, got four NBA players.' Yeah, well, the other team's got 13."

Van Gundy said the talent level, experience and age of the players would favor the NBA team, even one as bad as the Wizards (11-38).

"Could anything happen on a one-night thing? I mean, I suppose, you have major upsets all the time. So, maybe, but it'd be rare and in a series it'd be a joke," Van Gundy said. "It wouldn't be close. That's just the way it is. John Calipari's got a lot of talent; he does not have 13 NBA players. He just doesn't. And even if those guys all are, they're all NBA rookies. I mean, when has that ever been a success in the NBA? So, no, they're not going to win."

Disagree Stan, for 1 night, in Rupp Arena....I'd take the Cats' for sure !!!!....This summer's draft is gonna be AWESOME !!!!....Kentucky might get 6 1st rounders drafted....and I'd love for the Magic to get one.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7749118/stan-van-gundy-calls-notion-kentucky-wildcats-defeating-washington-wizards-absurd

i totally agree with him

as good as a college team seems, it's still a college team

A NBA team will always have top athletes, no matter how bad they look (duhon) they just look bad in comparison to the other great players in the league

Is this the right board to post this?

on one hand it's something stan said, on the other it has nothing to do with the magic

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"Could anything happen on a one-night thing? I mean, I suppose, you have major upsets all the time. So, maybe, but it'd be rare and in a series it'd be a joke," Van Gundy said. "It wouldn't be close. That's just the way it is. John Calipari's got a lot of talent; he does not have 13 NBA players. He just doesn't. And even if those guys all are, they're all NBA rookies. I mean, when has that ever been a success in the NBA? So, no, they're not going to win."

Stan is absolutely correct.

• Upvote 1

SVG's absolutely correct.

Think about it, even the worst NBA is made with the best players from college. Even on that Kentucky team, only a few of them will actually go to the NBA and, statistically, the chances of any of them lasting more than a couple years is pretty slim.

The players on the Wizards have already made it, are seasoned to the NBA game, and despite how badly they play against other NBA teams, they'd slaughter Kentucky. Could you not see Wall going off for 40+ points? Rashard having a career night?

The game would be over at halftime.

Pat Garrity was all-conference in college. He was, at best, a mediocre pro.

Adam Morrison and JJ Redick were named Co-players of the year in college. One is a role-playing fringe-starter in the NBA. The other is out of the NBA.

If Kentucky played the Wizards 10 times, they might be within 10 points once.

The Wizards would slaughter them. And I think they are one of the best college basketball teams of all time.

Alabama would be demolished by the Colts.

FSU is regularly destroyed by MLB teams.

I love the fact the subject is being discussed.....Calapari said this morning his next goal is to be the 1st team to go undefeated !!!

GO WILDCATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This really belongs in the Around The NBA/Globe Game section.

Jesus, how am I not a MOD yet?

Imagine all the uproar that would cause around here. People already cry about you picking on them. What would happen if you had power and called people out? I can hear the "power trip" post coming from a mile away. :panicworker:

Every few years, a college team captures the hearts of America while beating up its opponents. It is seen as super-special and thus gets super-hyped.

Some of that hype has to do with the players on the team. Which ones are headed to the NBA? Which ones could someday be NBA All-Stars? When that college super hype leeches into NBA talk, one question inevitably arises: "Could they beat a bad NBA team?"

This year, that question has been posed for Kentucky, which won the NCAA title Monday night with scintillating athleticism and great chemistry plus three likely lottery picks and at least two other players who almost certainly will be drafted in June. Meanwhile, the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats are making a run at being the worst NBA team of all time. So, given Kentucky's incredible depth of talent and Charlotte's ineptitude, could the best overall team in college beat the worst NBA team this season?

Not a chance.

There's almost no scenario in which these two teams play and Kentucky would come out on top -- even if they played 20 times on a college court under college rules. Saying Kentucky's kids could beat professionals makes no sense if you've spent any time around the game and working with these players.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story?id=7769937&_slug_=nba-why-kentucky-wildcats-never-beat-charlotte-bobcats&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fstory%3fid%3d7769937%26_slug_%3dnba-why-kentucky-wildcats-never-beat-charlotte-bobcats