Babir_9

2012 Offseason

Sources: #Magic narrow GM search to three candidates, considering two hires. #NBA cbsprt.co/LurFme

JoshuaBRobbins Jeff Bower, Rob Hennigan & Dennis Lindsey will meet w/DeVoses in Grand Rapids, Mich (confirming what @WojYahooNBA 1st said)

JoshuaBRobbins I don't believe that the team will hire 2 of these 3 outright. The person who gets the big job will make staffing choices

JoshuaBRobbins It's not out of question that 1 more finalist will jump into the mix. But the Magic have not asked Celtics to speak w/Doc.

The point is the same when Martins admitted they were unlikely to replace SVG with a coach as good at coaching.

How long are some of you going to keep mourning Stan? He is not the only smart coach in the NBA. He had some good players, too. They had something to do with the wins, too. And Xs and Os aren't the only aspect of coaching. You have to manage personnel, and you should avoid pissing off the NBA's front-office execs, too. Because when the NBA front office execs get mad at you, they can take it out on everyone involved in the organization and bury your franchise.

Dwight and Jameer drafting. Dwight was the selected pick of all but one of the gms at the time according to a poll that was taken...was it the hockey guy or Otis that picked him? Jameer was a twenty pick we traded for a twenty pick and he was a solid performer at that position but not a game changer. Nevertheless you can try and give Otis credit for drafting Dwight and Jameer but truthfully Dwight was the #1 pick for everyone and Jameer was above average. Spin it whatever way you like.

Gortat trade....winner but totally undid it with long term overpaid players. As I said I am a results guy....the net is awful after you follow his moves to the end.

Francis for Ariza....great to unload him. I guess there is always an Isiah somewhere. Unfortunately what he did with Ariza was a horrible trade.

Hired SVG...well true. But he hired Donovan which would have been a disaster here. Only the Gator gods saved Otis from what was surely a pandering PR move which would have been catastrophic. Donovan is not and would not have been a good pro coach just like most college coaches. Thankfully a fax bailed him out before SVG was getting ready to move on.

Lee and JJ....role players. Waited 4 years for JJ to contribute despite saying he was ready to play day one which he was no where close to.

Pietrus...role player journeyman who shot the lights out on one playoff run. Other than that he was moved for nothing in the Gortat disaster.

The roster that went to the finals....no argument. It was a nicely jelled team which played over their heads. I give him that accolade.

Opted not to sign Turk to the big deal....well yes he did just when he was two years slower, lazier and older.

Saved the season by trading for Raefer. Good move but I wouldnt say Raefer saved the season. It was a solid team effort. I have to ask the question why was there no decent backup point in the first place? You have a contender. Jameer is constantly hurt....why? Were the owners cheap? No. Was there lack of planning and insight? Yes just like the usual Otis M.O

You basically just spent several paragraphs agreeing with me that Otis made some good moves. That's the main point that I was trying to make. I also made a point to state that Otis did, in fact, undo most of the good things he did with the Phoenix trade. That's the reason most of us wanted him gone and that's probably the reason he was fired. That said, just because he made a couple of truly stupid moves last season, it shouldn't negate the good things that he did. For example, just because he traded Ariza away for trash doesn't change the fact that he managed to get New York to throw Ariza in as an extra piece and that Ariza was a solid contributor for us for 2 years. That still counts for something. With that said, I'll briefly address a couple of your points above.

Dwight was NOT the consensus number 1 overall pick and, if you had watched the draft live, you would have seen this first hand. Steven A Smith and Dick Vitale were screaming for the Magic to take Okafor. Multiple mock drafts had Okafor going first overall. It was so hotly discussed that the first few years the meda constructed a "Dwight/Okafor rivalry" even though Dwight routinely got the better of the matchup. Also, and this is of course very difficult to prove, but there were several rumors and stories on the internet at the time that Weisbrod really wanted Okafor and Smith was the one to talk him out of it. It was also said that trading picks to acquire Jameer was Otis' idea as well. While we are on the subject, I don't know what planet you come from, but on Earth a point guard that is taken with the 20th overall pick and becomes a starter for the majority of his career AND makes an all-star team is a freaking win. Are you kidding?

Yes, JJ, Lee, and Pietrus were roleplayers. Last time I checked, the team still needs those. What is your point? We don't make the finals without Pietrus and Lee guarding Ray Allen and Lebron James. JJ might be the best roleplayer currently on the team. Who gives a crap if it took him a couple of seasons to put it all together? James Harden and Manu Ginobili took a couple of seasons to develop into the players they are today as well. I don't see OKC and San Antonio fans upset about that development time. And please, before you decide to completely miss the point of this paragraph and jump to the conclusion that I'm comparing JJ to those two guys, just stop. I'm not.

I have no idea how Donovan would have done here and we don't know who was the one that was pushing to hire him either. For all we know it could have been ownership. I'm inclined to say that he probably wouldn't have worked as well but that is irrelevant. We can't state that he would have been a disaster hire with nothing to base that statement on other than our gut.

We did have a pretty good backup point guard before Jameer went down. Or, at the very least, he was good enough of a backup to get the Magic to the finals. His name was Anthony Johnson. What we didn't have were a second point guard that could legitimately start or a 3rd point guard that could play major minutes.....and most teams don't have them either.

My proposal for Oden: Documented knee problems which still made him the overall number one by every team in the league including a team who had a gm we are considering. Dwight was in between years and the time frame would have put him at last summer before this last year. Dwight back then was still glaringly raw offensively and NO WHERE NEAR WHAT HE IS TODAY. That being said a difference between Hill and SVG made him a lot better the next year. As Ive said before if I had said Durant for Dwight straight up....no complaints today....right. Well Durant was picked next...number two. You are blaming me for the players injury not the premise of the argument and that isnt fair. What if Dwight had blown a knee and Oden had what looked to be a very solid career since he was very good when he wasnt injured? Maybe you are smarter than every other gm and has ESP but all of them would have taken Oden over Durant.

The answer to your question is: Yes, I would still have a major problem with it because the concept is faulty. The truth is that your proposal to trade Dwight for Oden is laughable because Oden was a collosal bust but the real reason the trade is a really bad idea is that you don't trade an all-star center that is still on a rookie contract for a player that you think may become an all-star player simply because you are afraid that you will have to pay your center a max contract. That is insane. By that very same logic, if we did acquire Durant in a trade for Howard, we would be looking for trade partners yet again so that we can try to avoid paying Durant a max contract as well. Does that make sense? Of course it doesn't! It's only a matter time before you would have traded for a player that does become a bust, like Oden. While we are on the subject, what are we going to do with that cap space? It's obvious that you wouldn't trust Otis to spend it wisely - and I don't blame you - so the likely scenario is that the money is spent unwisely and we lose out on the best center in basketball.

You can spin it whatever way you like but for god sakes look at our roster. Look at the salaries. Look at the long term scenario. Look at the chaos. What part of that screams doing a good job of managing? What part of that is a plan for the future? What part instills confidence from your players? Is it any wonder we are one player away from a 15 win season and total rebuilding?

I'm not spinning anything and I agree with everything you said in this paragraph. The final roster that Otis has left this team with is a disaster. And guess what? Otis was fired! Mission accomplished. Now, for the love of all that is holy, let's forget about our former GM and concentrate on hiring someone to fix it. The reason that I initially responded to you in this thread, and in other threads as well, is that I'm sick and ****ing tired of hearing you b**** and b**** about a guy that is no longer making decisions for this franchise. You can't make a single post on this forum with making a reference to him. Let it go already dude. I doubt that there is anyone on this forum that needs you to convince them that Otis was ultimately a bad general manager.

• Upvote 2

You guys hear Jim Rome ask Stern if the lottery is fixed and Stern asked him if he still beats his wife? Wow.

Is this for real??