Babir_9

2012 Offseason

Coming here as a FA in 2013? Or coming here this year via trade? I just can't see Atlanta trading with us, and they seem to have a higher opinion of Smith than most teams and therefore a massive asking price. Just curious if he specified.

Didn't say. Smith wants to play in Orlando and Dwight's not the only draw. The taxes are a big deal in players and agents mind. Hence why the Big3 took less money to play in Miami. Because they'd be making the same as a max in NY.

My best guess is that he demands a trade this year and Anderson/Picks would be the centerpiece. If not, if Dwight's still here, I think Josh comes too in 2013.

Didn't say. Smith wants to play in Orlando and Dwight's not the only draw. The taxes are a big deal in players and agents mind. Hence why the Big3 took less money to play in Miami. Because they'd be making the same as a max in NY.

My best guess is that he demands a trade this year and Anderson/Picks would be the centerpiece. If not, if Dwight's still here, I think Josh comes too in 2013.

Yeah, I always thought Smith made a lot of sense (just not in Van Gundy's system). The key to teams like OKC and Miami is athletic, long front courts and certainly Dwight/Smith and maybe a young 3 like Perry Jones or Moe Harkless could be that. In terms of value, a resigned Anderson and JJ seems a fair enough trade, but I know they'll want more in return unless he absolutely states he won't resign there.

My dream scenario is a 3-5 of Dwight/Smith/Iggy because that's flat out the best defensive team in the league even if Jameer and JJ were your 1-2. But, I think Smith and Iggy both have bigger price tags than they are worth.

Thanks for the info as always.

Update from Chad Ford:

Upon hearing of Sunday night's developments, one rival general manager told ESPN.com that he believes Houston's real aim is acquiring two top-10 picks this week to turn around quickly and offer both to the Orlando Magic as part of a considerable trade offer for Dwight Howard.

The Rockets' willingness to trade for Howard -- even without the All-Star center's signature on a contract extension -- is an open secret around the league. But it's believed that two top-eight picks, assuming Houston managed to complete trades with both Sacramento and Toronto, would seriously pique the interest of new Magic general manager Rob Hennigan, who could then quickly start following the same sort of roster-building blueprint relied on by his previous employers in Oklahoma City

Lulz,

Since Houston's best piece in Kyle Lowry would be gone, that would mean the Magic would have to take back 2 out of Scola, Dalembert and Martin to make the numbers match; IE a terrible trade that will never happen.

Lulz,

Since Houston's best piece in Kyle Lowry would be gone, that would mean the Magic would have to take back 2 out of Scola, Dalembert and Martin to make the numbers match; IE a terrible trade that will never happen.

I don't want to rehash the whole Houston trade debate, but Dalembert/Martin are both two huge expiring contracts. So, if you can get two top-8 picks plus about 18 million dollars expiring, we could potentially be looking at a big free agent signing next year with two young prospects. Not to mention that our pick next year would be pretty good since our team would be mediocre. In other words, by the end of next summer, Dwight could be parlayed into 3 top-10 picks and a top free agent in a good crop of 2013. Not ideal, but not outrageous either.

Dally is expiring I believe and I think KMart is two years and better than any guard we currently have in scoring. Shut up I hate all of you. The two lotto picks would be awesome.

Both expiring

Dally is expiring I believe and I think KMart is two years and better than any guard we currently have in scoring. Shut up I hate all of you. The two lotto picks would be awesome.

Agreed, although I think Martin also expires. As a massive hypothetical, who would you take if the package was #5 and #8? I think I'd go Barnes or Gilchrist at 5 and Drummond or Lillard at 8 depending on who is left. I know all the question marks about Drummond, but if he lasts past 6, I think he is worth the gamble for any team on physical attributes alone.