barnettej

Who Is Dan Fegan?

Hi guys,

I've been a long-time lurker and this topic finally piqued my interest enough to register. It's important to remember that a large portion of those contract commissions goes into paying support staff and other player overhead (ie: wedding planning, legal proceedings, staff payments). Also, agency commissions are usually only a hair above 3%.

About me:

I'm a player agent for one of the 4 major sports in the US (not basketball).

Hi guys,

I've been a long-time lurker and this topic finally piqued my interest enough to register. It's important to remember that a large portion of those contract commissions goes into paying support staff and other player overhead (ie: wedding planning, legal proceedings, staff payments). Also, agency commissions are usually only a hair above 3%.

About me:

I'm a player agent for one of the 4 major sports in the US (not basketball).

How much influence can an agent truly have over an athlete? Star-athlete at that? Given the facts stated in the original post, in your experience, would you find it accurate to say Dwight's agent had other motives, selfish ones, to steer his client to Brooklyn?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

After reading this, Dan HWNSNBU comes off to me as a guy who was "just doing his job".

How much influence can an agent truly have over an athlete? Star-athlete at that? Given the facts stated in the original post, in your experience, would you find it accurate to say Dwight's agent had other motives, selfish ones, to steer his client to Brooklyn?

Yes, please share your insight on this.....

It seems like his motives was to create a much larger profit on his players and afterwards help his own associates/friends. I don't believe that Dan HWNSNBU's pursuit to attract more clients for Lagedere Unlimited was selfish. The John Dan HWNSNBU seems to aid people in bigger into much lucrative careers if that said person strikes a deal with him that benefits his situation. Dan HWNSNBU isn't completely selfish but I would conclude that he's selfish at the players expense. Corporate mentality....

It seems like his motives was to create a much larger profit on his players and afterwards help his own associates/friends. I don't believe that Dan HWNSNBU's pursuit to attract more clients for Lagedere Unlimited was selfish. The John Dan HWNSNBU seems to aid people in bigger into much lucrative careers if that said person strikes a deal with him that benefits his situation. Dan HWNSNBU isn't completely selfish but I would conclude that he's selfish at the players expense. Corporate mentality....

Good point, over all its the same strategy everyone uses. You leverage your contacts and your contacts leverage you, as long as everyone benefits, then everyone is happy. Researching Dan kind of lead into other area's that seem to have odd associations. Who would of thought that the same company who Dan works for has a million dollar partnership with the Brooklyn Nets. And since Dan is so "open" with GM's, who is to say he isnt equally as "open" to ESPN Analysts and etc, I mean you have to wonder where in the world did these guys get their information.

If so, then some of those spoken words kind of hurt Dwights image. "Magic said that Dwight can fire GM and Coach", "Dwight Changes His Mind: I Didnt Understand",etc.

Either way it kind of gives you an idea of whats its going to be like dealing with Dan HWNSNBU, and possibly how strategic his company is. Maybe this applies to the whole Agent base(Working with Media Corps), if so then it would seem that alot of things are some what scripted. Money makes the world go around.

In my experiences, I'd say this whole notion of agent control is overblown in the media and with conspiracy theorists. The main thing to remember is that we work for the client--not the other way around.

Looking over the original post (and perusing the linked articles), I'd say there might have been a slight conflict of interest. We'll truly never know unless we were privy to the details of each individual endorsement contract. Obviously, I wasn't a party to the conversations that probably took place between Dan and Dwight, so I can't give an absolute assessment on it. Dan HWNSNBU would only really benefit from a Howard-to-Brooklyn move if he was an owner of the Nets or he had a personally-incentivized deal on the side. In that case, it would be a clear conflict of interest since we have a fiduciary obligation to the client to maximize their income while following their wishes and best interests.

However, I can tell you that the whole Adidas angle is bogus. If a player is marketable, he's marketable. If a consumer likes a player, they'll purchase their sneaker whether they play for their team or not.

As an addendum to my previous post:

It would be extremely risky for an agent to have side deals. They'd be sued for breach of contract by multiple parties (including the player) and would end up paying damages that were multiple times the amount of the gains. It would be the same thing as your own attorney sharing privileged information with your wife/her attorney in a divorce proceeding.

As an addendum to my previous post:

It would be extremely risky for an agent to have side deals. They'd be sued for breach of contract by multiple parties (including the player) and would end up paying damages that were multiple times the amount of the gains. It would be the same thing as your own attorney sharing privileged information with your wife/her attorney in a divorce proceeding.

Very valid points and thanks for your insight. I kind of think the Agent world is somewhat mysterious, besides the Jerry McGuire movie, but im sure the industry has changed since then. The only time you hear about Agents from a media stand point is in relation to college players.

the difference between HWNSNBU and you (most likely) is it seems pretty safe to assume that HWNSNBU being the guy who started the company that got acquired and being the main agent with the monster clients he almost assuredly has a small ownership stake in lagedere.

of course the math isn't as simple as him getting exactly 5% of 100M or whatever the numbers are, but having an ownership stake he would easily see huge benefit buy making that brooklyn sports partnership deal (which technically had nothing to do with dwight) with a wink and a nod, and getting dwight to go there would cement his (lagadere's) power in that whole brooklyn arena/jay-z/prok power structure which of course would benefit lagadere(and him) much more than just dwight and for years to come.

I'm sure now that brooklyn sports thing and lagaderes relationship has got to be strained, and lagadere's whole position in the, as Stephen a smith would put it, "NEW YORK TAKEOVER" is weakened and they stand to make less money off that whole movement.