Sign in to follow this  
mick

What do u guys think about Andrei Kirilenko at magic?

At the moment he is playing with CSKA moscow in Russia and is a unrestricted free agent. He has been quoted recently as saying that he was enjoying his time in russia and wanted to finish the remainder of the season there. Although i have been hearing rumours of him speaking to new jersey. Don't know how true it is but if we made a play for him i am sure he would rather go to a contender. He is a very good defender, high percentage shooter, can create his own shot and play both forward positions. Everythin that would add significantly to the magic in winning a championship this year. On days where hedo is playing bad he can cover him or when jameer is playing bad turk can move to pg as he is running the team anyway and kirilenko in hedos position. If we trade ryno for a pg he can also slot right in there. If we get him i beleive we should find a way for him to start. When we get to the business end of the season this guy would be much more effective than the current players in shutting down the likes of lebron, bosh, deng,pierce and kg. Hedo and ryno have little impact in guarding those players .The only reason he wasnt averaging more points per game was because utah had three other scorerers in boozer, williams and okur. I reckon we can get more out of him.

The big negative would be can we afford him or get close to new jerseys offer. He is not worth the crazy contract utah signed him to but i am guessing he would take less to go to a contender. I remember reading that he was willing to renegotiate his contract to accomodate deron at one stage.

He wants a lot of money still. I would be happy to give him the mini mid level exception at 2.5mil, but thats it. I imagine he would have better offers out there, including from NJ.

He wants a lot of money still. I would be happy to give him the mini mid level exception at 2.5mil, but thats it. I imagine he would have better offers out there, including from NJ.

Um he is definitely going to get more than 2.5.

On what evidence do you base that on. If it was all about the money he would have left russia long ago as CSKA arent paying him much. As i said before he doesnt want to leave russia but new jersey is trying hard to pry him away. The allure of the absent ring is what i believe will ultimately prevail and new jersey doesnt have a chance for a championship. 2.5 mil is a joke he is much better than that and is even more valuable since we dont have to give anything up. Big baby gets around 6-7 and ak47 is much better than him. Come to think of it outside dwight he would be the best player. He was a friggin all star. If u watched the jazz play u would understand his value.

I think you're pushing it on the thread starting front...even I know better. Having said that, I'd much prefer we make a play for JR Smith. Guys a bit of a head case but he's a straight up baller. Pretty sure he goes back a ways with Dwight also which never hurts.

On what evidence do you base that on. If it was all about the money he would have left russia long ago as CSKA arent paying him much. As i said before he doesnt want to leave russia but new jersey is trying hard to pry him away. The allure of the absent ring is what i believe will ultimately prevail and new jersey doesnt have a chance for a championship. 2.5 mil is a joke he is much better than that and is even more valuable since we dont have to give anything up. Big baby gets around 6-7 and ak47 is much better than him. Come to think of it outside dwight he would be the best player. He was a friggin all star. If u watched the jazz play u would understand his value.

I like Kirilenko and I have seen where his value lies. That being said our only other option to get him would be the full MLE, and that guy isn't worth the full MLE-which usually goes out ATLEAST 4 years. The guy will be a dinosaur by then, he has already reached large-reptile status imo. If Otis is gone, there will likely be someone in the FO too risk averse to give AK47 that length of contract. We got nothing else to give him-so what do you recommend if you want to acquire him?

Using Big Baby as a reference point is a major mistake as not only is he grossly overpaid, but he also came thru on the benefit of a sign and trade. That won't happen wherever Kirilenko goes.

I understand where your coming from and i know it's risky giving a guy in his 30's a longterm contract but i dont think he will be anywhere near as useless as artest has became. Yes he will be a dinosaur but the attributes he has suggests he will still be effective. He is a smart player that can get to the line and shoots at a high percentage. He is on the good side of 30 so at the end he really wont be that old especially since players can still be effective till their late 30's.

Can u imagine the likes of the above forwards dealing with kirilenko and howard. This bloke covered boozers ass the whole time at utah and most people would agree the only reason utah had a better than normal defense was because of him. Defence wins championships and he is at the top.

We should get him now cause i believe with this exact same roster plus AK47 will take us atleast to the conference finals and if we get there i highly doubt howard would leave. The risk is well worth it. Also it just occured to me half the season has already passed so we wouldnt have to pay him that much for him this year but a little more than the trade exception.

I had thought about JR as well but that guy cant defend at all. Yes he can be explosive but we really need someone that can do both. If we only had money for one i would hands down pick Ak47. Off the bench though JR will be a definate upgrade to the current jokers on it. Maybe we could sign him at the mid level exception of 2.5 mil. If we can somehow sign both players i can see a ring for us this year.

What do I think of Andrei Kirilenko at magic? I've never seen him perform, personally, and I'm not too sure his height would make him any good at sleight-of-hand tricks at all. Or at least I would think that someone with shorter arms could move fast enough to trick the eyes. He may be really great at it, but I doubt I'd hire him for my son's birthday party. Not at the rate he'd be demanding, at least.

ok i give up. In my mind its a no-brainer but i must be wrong here since all of you disagree.

I just heard that the clippers and the knicks are going after JR. How in the world do these teams still have cap space. What do u guys think about JR as the mid-level exception for us.