Sign in to follow this  
Hanaway

Great Article: " Dwight would rather be Known than Loved "

The extension of this mindset requires the fan to be able to graciously accept sitting through multiple seasons of mediocrity at best, losing at worst, after having just enjoyed rooting for a top-5 player and at least having the chance to go deep in the playoffs each year.

We don't do THAT here either.

It's true he doesn't owe us a thing, as a fan you would just hope that there is that player that will fight for your team and reward your faith in them. I don't think sensible factor's in to that DOM, it's sports. If there was anything sensible about it I wouldn't care whether we lost a game or not. I wouldn't care if we ever won a title and I wouldn't pay to watch someone else play a game that I can enjoy playing myself.

Yep....and lucky Magic fans get to go through it twice! But hey, at least both of those players laid it hard for us and honored their contracts.

Mhm, at least they did that. That's all we can ask for. Wouldn't want them exercising their freedom as human beings to explore other options. Dwight has done plenty for our team and community while he has been here. I see no reason to question him for deciding he wants to play somewhere else. Sure, it'd be great if he stayed. That'd be pretty cool. We might have some more 50 win seasons where we don't make it back to the finals.

If there was anything sensible about it I wouldn't care whether we lost a game or not. I wouldn't care if we ever won a title and I wouldn't pay to watch someone else play a game that I can enjoy playing myself.

That's a very good point there. The fan in me does not want him to leave, because I want the team to win, but I can't be angry or bothered by it, even if I try.

• Upvote 1

Mhm, at least they did that. That's all we can ask for. Wouldn't want them exercising their freedom as human beings to explore other options. Dwight has done plenty for our team and community while he has been here. I see no reason to question him for deciding he wants to play somewhere else. Sure, it'd be great if he stayed. That'd be pretty cool. We might have some more 50 win seasons where we don't make it back to the finals.

You are equating professional sports with the "real world" and you cannot do that. In the "real world," you do not become a millionaire because you are tall and can jump (to oversimplify it).

• Upvote 1

That's a very good point there. The fan in me does not want him to leave, because I want the team to win, but I can't be angry or bothered by it, even if I try.

I will not be angry at him (assuming he leaves), I'll be dissapointed because I thought that he was going to be that guy for our team. I thought he was going to be the Anti-Shaq. I'm pissed at Otis and dissapointed by Dwight.

You are equating professional sports with the "real world" and you cannot do that. In the "real world," you do not become a millionaire because you are tall and can jump (to oversimplify it).

Everything we know is part of the real world and it turns out a bunch of guys figured out you could be super tall and become super rich.

So loyalty and commitment to this organization is not the highest priority for Dwight. That's too bad. Are we supposed to demand he be more like someone else because he plays basketball and is not an accountant? I don't understand how you want me to feel.

• Upvote 1

Everything we know is part of the real world and it turns out a bunch of guys figured out you could be super tall and become super rich.

So loyalty and commitment to this organization is not the highest priority for Dwight. That's too bad. Are we supposed to demand he be more like someone else because he plays basketball and is not an accountant? I don't understand how you want me to feel.

I think you're simply trying to make a point because you see one available to make. I don't care how you feel and do not intend to tell you what you should feel. But I don't for a minute think that when the trade actually goes down that you are going to be just fine with it. The fact is, these are special circumstances that do not apply to just anyone and to be jilted by Dwight because he THINKS things could be better elsewhere is very very frustrating.

I think you're simply trying to make a point because you see one available to make. I don't care how you feel and do not intend to tell you what you should feel. But I don't for a minute think that when the trade actually goes down that you are going to be just fine with it. The fact is, these are special circumstances that do not apply to just anyone and to be jilted by Dwight because he THINKS things could be better elsewhere is very very frustrating.

I promise you that I will be just fine with it and I'm not making a point just for the sake of it. I just respect Dwight's right as a human being to do what he wants to do in these circumstances. I am not trying to argue with you. I recognize you are an intelligent human being with a different opinion than me, and your opinion is not stupid. I get where you're coming from and I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

I'm sorry you don't care how I feel. I care how you feel. I find your blog posts to be thoroughly entertaining and insightful. We have no control over what is going to happen. What we do have control over is how we handle it. I am going to handle it with grace and respect. I know the Magic will be around for a while, as they have met Stern's criteria with a state of the art arena, so I know I will be supporting this team for the rest of this decade and hopefully beyond.

I find your blog posts to be thoroughly entertaining and insightful.

Then please, read them, comment and spread the word! I do it mainly for the board members, but it gets much less play here than it does on the main website.

Dang you cant?????..... Man im screwed...

LOL