Sign in to follow this  
Natesroom

Trapping and Full Court Press

Does anyone have any info as to why we never really employ these strategies? I'm watching the Heat and the Nuggets and they are employing each of these to great effect. I understand the issues on leaving the screener and go for the double and trap. Has anyone read any research as to why SVG hardly every uses these strategies?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Does anyone have any info as to why we never really employ these strategies? I'm watching the Heat and the Nuggets and they are employing each of these to great effect. I understand the issues on leaving the screener and go for the double and trap. Has anyone read any research as to why SVG hardly every uses these strategies?

Because at the pro level they are rarely successful and even more rarely successful respectively, and a failure at either puts you at an extreme disadvantage on the other end of the floor. It's like pulling an onside kick on every kickoff.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't know, GDOM. I've read extensive research on this subject and I've come to the conclusion that SVG should probably use these strategies in games to counteract the other team's offense. Miami and other higher seeded teams do this on a regular basis, and you can't argue with results. I think if we employed these strategies on a regular basis, along with giving Larry Hughes the majority of the point guard Minutes with Jameer coming off the bench, we might be able to make some noise in the East.

Hughes/Meer

Redick/J-Poor

Hedo/Clark

Ryno/BBD

Dwight/BBD/Orton

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I kinda wanted us to use a simple 1on1 full court press on the ball handler against the Hawks last year.

It seems they can easily get out of rhythm and start jacking up iso jumpshots and I think that a full court press (which would shorten the shotclock and make the hawks start staring at the ball doing nothing) could have gotten them into more ISO plays and also out of that hot streak that they had against us.

But at the same time pressing full court means the pace slows down and we like to play up-tempo. At least SVG wants us to play up tempo it's just that Jameer doesn't ever push the ball.

To do it, you actually have to have the kind of personel who are capable of pulling it off. You said you saw the Nuggets and the Heat do it? Well think of the players they have. James, Wade, Bosh, Chalmers, Afflalo, Anderson, Brewer, Lawson, & Nene. Long, athletic, quick, or in other words, ball hawks. Players that can gamble on defense and go for the big play, while at the same time have the speed to get back if they miss.

Does that sound like anyone on the Magic? Even the players who get little burn on the bench don't fit that billing. The guys we have all rely on team defense. It's why we never crash the offensive boards, and why SVG has implemented a system of getting back on defense to slow the fast break.

Well i was wondering if anyone had specific information that Stan had talked about or something. I think jameer can do a full court press, i mean cmon Derek fisher for crying out loud does it for the Lakers... And as for trapping they send James/bosh and chalmers i'm sure Dwight and jameer or hedo can initiate a trap

• Upvote 1

Well i was wondering if anyone had specific information that Stan had talked about or something. I think jameer can do a full court press, i mean cmon Derek fisher for crying out loud does it for the Lakers... And as for trapping they send James/bosh and chalmers i'm sure Dwight and jameer or hedo can initiate a trap

You could use Jameer to help pressure the ball handler, but then you want to bring Hedo in as the second? When was the last time Hedo pressured anyone? It could be the worst trap in the history of basketball. Dwight would be better in terms of skill when compared to Hedo, but asking him to help trap does two things that are very bad for this team. First, it puts Dwight in a position to pick up cheap fouls against a quicker guard, and second (and more importantly), it takes the teams best defender away from the basket where he is tasked with protecting the rim and erasing everyone's mistakes. If they get the ball passed out of the trap, not only will the other team have the numbers advantage, but they will also have "not Dwight" guarding the rim.