Sign in to follow this  
MagicJax

Trade Howard, then blow it up

Great job of missing the entire point. There are no trade options that benefit us in the end. They all keep us from moving forward so no, people are still not "starting to realize this.". Sometimes I hate that I can read what other people think is a good idea.

Tell me about it... Where's Jon Koncak when you need him?

Edit: **You quoted a quote... lol

So as of now, looks like...

Nets = Brook Lopez + draft picks

- Brook Lopez has same foot injury that forced Yao Ming to miss seasons and eventually retire early

- Draft picks will be in the late teens or early-mid 20's depending on how Nets look after Dwight is traded there, either way picks in this range will get mediocre talent at best

Lakers = Andrew Bynum

- Best young big player (24) out of list with potential to be an All-Star (which he should already be this season) possibly franchise player if healthy, but have to watch out health

Warriors = Stephen Curry + Klay Thompson + Epke Udoh

- Two young and talented wing players with an average 3rd string back-up PF

- Stephen Curry has been injury prone this whole season

Knicks = Amare Stoudamire

- Soon to be 30 yr old oversized shooting guard w/ uninsured contract who is a chuck 1st, and chuck 2nd player with his worst season right now 41% shooting who needs a pass first PG like Steve Nash

Otherwise, bye-bye Dwight to free agency to a team like Dallas Mavericks (possibly even NJ Nets) chomping on their available 2012 cap space.

If Orlando does end up trading Dwight to New Jersey, the longer they wait the better chance of receiving a lottery pick. With Lopez at center I think we still hover around 500. We also get rid of duhon's and turk's contracts.

So we will be a 500 team with two top 20 picks and be under the salary cap.

• Upvote 1

Didn't New Jersey offer to include MarShon Brooks in their offer?

The Latest I seen was:

Dwight, Duhon, Hedo for B. Lopez, Gerald Wallace, and a 1st rounder in a 3 team deal.

Marshon Brooks would make the trade a little more appealing though.

He was a beast against us.

The Latest I seen was:

Dwight, Duhon, Hedo for B. Lopez, Gerald Wallace, and a 1st rounder in a 3 team deal.

Marshon Brooks would make the trade a little more appealing though.

He was a beast against us.

That's a crappy trade for no lower than the 4th best player in the league.

Magic should get BOTH of NJ's draft picks and Lopez as the starting point for any deal involving Howard

That's a crappy trade for no lower than the 4th best player in the league.

Magic should get BOTH of NJ's draft picks and Lopez as the starting point for any deal involving Howard

What do you mean by both? Do they have two first round picks?

If Orlando does end up trading Dwight to New Jersey, the longer they wait the better chance of receiving a lottery pick. With Lopez at center I think we still hover around 500. We also get rid of duhon's and turk's contracts.

So we will be a 500 team with two top 20 picks and be under the salary cap.

Getting two late Top 20 or early Top 30 picks would just get us mediocre players at best.

But what do we do with Brook Lopez?

Suffering a metatarsal fracture especially if you're a big Center in the NBA is not a very good sign in this league.

Brook Lopez - metatarsal fracture:

New Jersey - Brook Lopez is heading for foot surgery, dealing a twin blow to the Nets’ prospects this season and their hopes of landing Dwight Howard.

Lopez sustained a stress fracture in the fifth metatarsal of his right foot in Wednesday’s preseason finale against the Knicks. Surgery is scheduled for Friday. The Nets have not announced a timetable for his return, but it is likely that Lopez will miss at least six weeks.

Lopez, 23, would be the key player in any trade for Howard, the Orlando Magic center, who has asked to be traded. The injury could delay any deal or perhaps scare off the Magic. The N.B.A. has a long history of big men having their careers derailed by foot problems, from Bill Walton to Yao Ming.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/sports/basketball/nets-brook-lopez-to-have-foot-surgery.html

Yao Ming - metatarsal fracture:

Houston - Yao Ming will miss the rest of the playoffs because of a broken left foot.

The Houston center limped off the court late in the Los Angeles Lakers' 108-94 victory over the Rockets on Friday night. Yao missed Saturday's practice to get treatment and the team said the 7-foot-6 All-Star would be re-evaluated on Sunday.

But the Rockets announced later Saturday night that further examination of Yao's injury revealed a hairline fracture. The Rockets say Yao will need 8-12 weeks to recover, though no surgery is required.

Another setback to an injury he suffered 4 seasons ago.

Just four games before the end of the 2005-06 regular season, Yao broke the fifth metatarsal in the same foot in Utah and missed the playoffs after surgery. In February 2008, Yao sustained a stress fracture in his foot and missed the postseason again, returning in time to play for host China in the Olympics.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4154628

Bill Walton - metatarsal fracture:

The following year, the Blazers won 50 of their first 60 games before Bill Walton suffered a broken foot in what turned out to be the first in a string of foot and ankle injuries that cut short his career.

Walton returned to action for the playoffs, but was reinjured in the second game of a series against the Seattle SuperSonics. Without Walton to lead them, Portland lost the series to Seattle in six games.

During the offseason, Walton demanded to be traded, citing unethical and incompetent treatment of his and other players' injuries by the Blazers' front office. He did not get his wish and sat out the 1978–79 season in protest, signing with the San Diego Clippers when he became a free agent in 1979.

Walton spent several seasons alternating between the court and the disabled list with his hometown San Diego Clippers, including missing the entire 1980-1981 season due to surgery performed on his left foot.

Walton spent the entire 1987–88 season on the injured list. He attempted a comeback in February 1990, but injury intervened and he retired from the game.

Both Bill Walton and Yao Ming suffered the same metatarsal fracture in 1978 and 2006 respectively that Brook Lopez just suffered this year, and ever since then both were never the same since both kept getting their injury aggravated and even gave way to more injuries, to the point that Walton missed the playoffs and even 2 entire seasons, and same with Yao who had miss half to even a whole season, and eventually retired 5 seasons later.

Did Z have the same injury to his foot?

Whoa! Yes??

http://www.netsdaily.com/2011/12/23/2658446/is-bynum-more-attractive-to-magic

Magic writer Brian Schmitz writes that Brook Lopez's injury is a severe blow to the Nets' hopes to acquire Dwight Howard. One of Lopez's advantages over Andrew Bynum has been his durability. Now that's in doubt, he says.

In a separate blog, his colleague Josh Robins says similar things, calling Lopez's stress fracture "a snag" in trade talks.

"You just never know about big men and their feet," writes Schmitz. "Zydrunas Ilgauskas was bothered for years. The same foot injury sent Yao Ming into retirement. Can the Magic take the risk that Lopez will recover? Can they acquire him for Howard in what will be their most critical trade in franchise history?"

:gortat:

We need to lure someone away from the OKC or San Antonio staff.

I wish we could swing a deal for Harden. Trade anyone on the roster for him, except Dwight. Okay, Dwight, too if we're going to lose him anyway.

I wish we could swing a deal for Harden. Trade anyone on the roster for him, except Dwight. Okay, Dwight, too if we're going to lose him anyway.

If Dwight goes to OKC, we'd most likely see a package based around Harden, Ibaka, Perkins, and picks. I'm not sure if they'd be willing to give up Westbrook and Harden and I wouldn't just take Westbrook and Perkins.

A 3 headed monster of Westbrook, Durant, and Howard is pretty devastating, IMO.

If Dwight goes to OKC, we'd most likely see a package based around Harden, Ibaka, Perkins, and picks. I'm not sure if they'd be willing to give up Westbrook and Harden and I wouldn't just take Westbrook and Perkins.

A 3 headed monster of Westbrook, Durant, and Howard is pretty devastating, IMO.

Pretty devastating and, more importantly, pretty "not in our conference." If we have to give Dwight up, and I still say we hold him until the end of the season, send him West. I don't want to be playing against him 3-4 times a year.

• Upvote 1