Sign in to follow this  
MagicJax

Trade Howard, then blow it up

I'm a first time poster here, and this may have been said on the forum, but I had to say this because Otis Smith was to "remain competitive" if/when Howard leaves.

Unless the Magic get 2 bonafide superstars in a trade for Howard, this team isn't sniffing the NBA Finals anytime soon, and with young, extremly talented rosters in Miami and Chicago, not to mention New York (if they ever get their act together) and Atlanta, it'll be a while before this team can be taken seriously as a title contender. With that said, Smith has to build for the future. Acquire young developmental talent, free up cap space, and hitting a home run in the draft is the only way I see this team being elite again.

Basically, blow it up and build through the draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, yeah, I think that's pretty much the consensus from the reasonable people on this board, assuming Dwight leaves.

Agree, need to get young talent with some picks if Howard has to be traded. The only exception is if Otis somehow finds a way to trade for a good young guy that can create his own shot. If that does not make Howard want to stay, then you can trade him for a vet player as long as you get a lottery pick or two. IMO, I think Liggins and Harper have a chance to be good in this league. Throw in Clark and Orton and there is some young blood for the future. Orton is a big mystery at this point, but how knows.

If Howard leaves, Turk, Duhon, J Rich and Otis has to go too. Even if Howard stays Otis still needs to go!

Agree, need to get young talent with some picks if Howard has to be traded. The only exception is if Otis somehow finds a way to trade for a good young guy that can create his own shot. If that does not make Howard want to stay, then you can trade him for a vet player as long as you get a lottery pick or two. IMO, I think Liggins and Harper have a chance to be good in this league. Throw in Clark and Orton and there is some young blood for the future. Orton is a big mystery at this point, but how knows.

If Howard leaves, Turk, Duhon, J Rich and Otis has to go too. Even if Howard stays Otis still needs to go!

A scorer doesn't make Orlando a bigger market. After reading Otis' comments about Orlando not being a bigger market and being outside of his control, I saw it as management throwing in the towel and coming to the reality that there's no way we can retain him.

If Howard goes, expect Hedo and Otis, as well as SVG, to be shown the door. Not that SVG was the culprit, but that just seems to be the way things work nowadays.

If he leaves the of course we need to do this, no one wants to be wants to sit a 8th seed for the next decade. That being said I still believe we should try everything possible to keep Dwight even though it looks like he doesn't care about winning he just wants to be in a big market. But if at the end of the season he still wants out then we should let him walk even if that means were stuck with Turk and Duhon we still had a last attempt at keeping him. Not to mention that even if we get rid of them were not going to be good by the time there contracts would be up anyways and I doubt any we would get equal compensation for D12 even with draft picks.

I'm a first time poster here, and this may have been said on the forum, but I had to say this because Otis Smith was to "remain competitive" if/when Howard leaves.

Unless the Magic get 2 bonafide superstars in a trade for Howard, this team isn't sniffing the NBA Finals anytime soon...

Basically, blow it up and build through the draft.

95% of the time, the team trading their still young and still at their peak Superstar is never going to get another "bonafide superstar(s)" in return.

- Didn't happen when Carmelo Anthony was traded (Danilo Gallinari).

- Didn't happen when Deron Williams was traded (Devin Harris).

- Didn't happen when Chris Paul was traded (Eric Gordon).

- Didn't happen when Kevin Garnett was traded (Al Jefferson).

- Didn't happen when Pau Gasol was traded (Kwame Brown).

The Magic are not going to get the same value. They can only hope aside from picks, youth, etc. is to get a player that will either be:

A] Be a solid good player.

B] A player who has high potential tol be a future All-Star / maybe Superstar one day.

Eric Gordon averaged 20 ppg last year and WILL be and all-star by next season.

Kaman was an All-Star a couple years back.

Aminu is a very good young SF also.

Teams are getting good pieces in return for their superstars.

CP3 and Deron both fetched young talent with upside, a high draft pick AND a former all-star. The team should easily get that or even more in a trade for Dwight.

The Hornet's got much more in return in my opinion.

CP3 and Deron both fetched young talent with upside, a high draft pick AND a former all-star. The team should easily get that or even more in a trade for Dwight.

But you are right. Dwight is 26, was 2nd in MVP voting and is by far the best at his position. We should be able to get more in a trade.

• Upvote 1