Sign in to follow this  
30Assists

Recognition for Duhon and Bass

As much as I ragged on the guy last year and in the preseason, I have to admit that Duhon's actually been pretty reliable so far into this young season. He's not throwing down 40ppg or anything, but the offense isn't crapping to a full-stop when he's out there, either.

So...keep it up, Duhon: good job. Hope you prove us all wrong and have a banner year as a backup.

As for Bass? Thanks for reminding us just how frustrating you were on offense. I loved Bass's energy when he was with the Magic, but all too often it was unfocused: he wasn't a great help defender, his decisions on when to pass and when to shoot were head-scratchingly bad, his abilities to play within a defense or an offense were atrocious.

Again, it was just one game against a very good Heat team, and his previous game had him scoring over 20, but there were several times during the game against the Heat where the following would happen: ball is passed to Bass, Bass holds onto the ball and stands there with a confused look on his face, defender rushes out to cover him, he spins on his pivot foot, spins again, looks around, launches fade-away from 15 feet out, it clanks out.

Awesome.

Welcome to the team, BBD! Come mid-season, the Celtics will be cursing this trade - guarantee it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Funny thing is, I've seen in numerous gamethreads and random threads that C fans are drooling over Bass and calling us stupid for making that trade because BBD is a primadonna with a huge ego.. and that we will regret the trade come mid-season. They love Bass, it seems.

Think the Bass-Davis swap will help both teams not to mention the Magic got Wafer as well. Not every trade has to have a winner and loser. I would rather have someone like Davis who thinks he should be a starter than someone content to come off the bench. Bass on the other hand is instant offense with his mid-range game and that is something the Celtics need off the bench without Jeff Green.

I really hope Duhon proves us all wrong. Thing is, both games it seems he started off slow and then picked up his game in later quarters. We need him to come off the bench ready to play. As of now, he hasn't done that, and has lost the team's momentum a few times because of it.

I will admit that later in games he has done some good things on both offense and defense. Denton wrote a bit about him and mentions this.

I just want anything to keep Larry Hughes from being our only hope. Nothing against Hughes... It's just... I would think something went terribly wrong if he is our best option off the bench at the PG position.

The typical play involving Bass and a pick and roll

::receive ball at the top of the key::

<<wide open jumper>>

<<Dwight has his man sealed under the rim>>

::what to do what to do what to do what to do::

::pump fake::

::jab step::

::head fake::

::fake pass::

<<Dwight gets called for a 3 second violation/moves out>>

1) Dwight is still under the rim waiting for a pass and easy dunk

2) Dwight has moved out of the way

if 1)

::drive into the lane and hope Dwight moves out of the way anyways::

::bulldoze::

if 2)

::go up for jumper despite not being wipe open anymore and having no one under the rim::

*wildcard

::attempt a pass to Dwight that goes flying past his man into the backboard and out of bounds::

brandon-bass-30-nba.jpg

• Upvote 3

He's not throwing down 40ppg or anything, but the offense isn't crapping to a full-stop when he's out there, either.

So...keep it up, Duhon: good job. Hope you prove us all wrong and have a banner year as a backup.

This part is a joke, right?

I agree with you mostly on Bass though. I think he fits in well with the C's and has a money jumper. What they havent realized is, as athletic as he is, his low BBall IQ will cost them a lot of close games, like it did yesterday.

I still think he will be better with them then he was with us. Same with Big Baby.

As much as I ragged on the guy last year and in the preseason, I have to admit that Duhon's actually been pretty reliable so far into this young season. He's not throwing down 40ppg or anything, but the offense isn't crapping to a full-stop when he's out there, either.

You did watch the first game, right? You know, the one where Duhon was a -17 for the game and the offense ground to a halt when he was in the line-up? The biggest difference between that game and the first home game was putting the ball into Hedo's hand with 'Meer wasn't on the floor and letting him run the offence, so sure, Duhon didn't grind the offense down to a full-stop when he was in, but mostly because we kept the ball out of his hands.

Good job, Duhon Stan.

• Upvote 2

This part is a joke, right?

I agree with you mostly on Bass though. I think he fits in well with the C's and has a money jumper. What they havent realized is, as athletic as he is, his low BBall IQ will cost them a lot of close games, like it did yesterday.

I still think he will be better with them then he was with us. Same with Big Baby.

I'm not saying the dude is God on the Throne or the second coming of CP3, I'm saying in the last couple games, he wasn't horrible.

Yeah, he had a -17. THE ENTIRE TEAM stunk it up. I saw Duhon driving, trying to make passes, moving a lot more than he used to, actually trying to run plays rather than: run up, pass half-court, then stare around like he suddenly had a stroke.

He's a 3rd string PG, but he's not a complete liability so far. I'd MUCH RATHER have a better guy backing 'Meer up still, but Duhon hasn't been horrible. I'm not saying he's been good, I'm saying he's "NOT HORRIBLE." Hopefully he gets some of that confidence back, or drinks less, or whatever, and continues to improve, because we're going to need him down the stretch. Especially if 'Meer gets hurt.

I'm saying in the last couple games, he wasn't horrible.

Last couple of games? I hope you mean the last game only, and even then, he was not horrendous; and that's not even compliment. He made a layup and a three pointer; wow, sign me for 15 million and I can do that every 30 games or so.

I saw Duhon driving, trying to make passes, moving a lot more than he used to, actually trying to run plays rather than: run up, pass half-court, then stare around like he suddenly had a stroke.

Again, one game out of the last how many?

He's a 3rd string PG, but he's not a complete liability so far. I'd MUCH RATHER have a better guy backing 'Meer up still, but Duhon hasn't been horrible. I'm not saying he's been good, I'm saying he's "NOT HORRIBLE." Hopefully he gets some of that confidence back, or drinks less, or whatever, and continues to improve, because we're going to need him down the stretch. Especially if 'Meer gets hurt.

I'd say he is a complete offensive liability.

Did you even think before making this thread? Why would you make a thread to give somebody props who is 'NOT HORRIBLE' (that shouldn't even be considered a compliment), by your standards, in one game out of whole bunch? I can understand some people making knee jerk reaction threads to somebody who has had a GREAT GAME after sucking for a while, but this isn't even the case.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Last couple of games? I hope you mean the last game only, and even then, he was not horrendous; and that's not even compliment. He made a layup and a three pointer; wow, sign me for 15 million and I can do that every 30 games or so.

Again, one game out of the last how many?

I'd say he is a complete offensive liability.

Did you even think before making this thread? Why would you make a thread to give somebody props who is 'NOT HORRIBLE' (that shouldn't even be considered a compliment), by your standards, in one game out of whole bunch? I can understand some people making knee jerk reaction threads to somebody who has had a GREAT GAME after sucking for a while, but this isn't even the case.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

You're just fishing for an argument, aren't you.

Yeah, he had a -17. THE ENTIRE TEAM stunk it up. I saw Duhon driving, trying to make passes, moving a lot more than he used to, actually trying to run plays rather than: run up, pass half-court, then stare around like he suddenly had a stroke.

Other guys had bad games, but Duhon was, by far, the worst, and had the biggest impact overall on the team in that game. In the Houston game, off the ball, he was ok in the sense that he wasn't a huge liability and wasn't stalling the offense, but then, does a PG who needs the team to keep the ball out of his hands really deserve props?