Beast From The East

Game Thread: Heat @ Magic 12/20/11 (preseason)

It was good to see some energy and effort out there tonight. If Larry Poos and Liggins can play with this energy the whole year they need to be signed. If only Orton could be a reliable backup for 12-15 minutes a game, we wouldn't have to see Ryan Anderson on the court as often. If the younger players could play consistently with this type of energy it would make some of the older players expendable, but unloading their contracts *coughturkcough* is another problem.

Watching DVR of game tonight. Witnessing the 3rd quarter comeback. Nelson Mr. Heart is back. J Rich --- sweet! Big Baby is now Big Beast. This team is showing some life. Liking Q Rich's defense on Lebron ...

Just saw the Q vs Lebron 'altercation'.. funny how they can single out Q instead of a double tech.. Love that he didn't back down though... It's nice talking about the guys on the floor, not Dwight's off court stuff

I remember how I really disliked Big Baby (for numerous reasons) up until Dwight famously just absolutely wrecked him-- and then I saw this guy still have the heart to get up and try to get back into the game when his entire world was spinning. Gotta love that heart and hustle.

Funny thing is-- I know he is going to absolutely piss me off this season and jack up crap shots and make dumb mistakes...but I still think this guy for Bass was a f-in steal. Somehow he manages to be more athletic than Duhon, Turk, and Bass combined. While he looks soft, he will bang it out with the roughest. He does a damn good job at getting into the paint. He's already smarter and more controlled with the ball in his hands than Bass. But most of all - the most stark contrast between the two is that Bass was, for the most part, emotionless, quiet, and seemed separate on the floor. Big Baby is the opposite, and I think that is what we need at that spot.

Also - I hadn't seen much of Wafer before (or likely just didn't pay attention) - but good lord does he have a quick step. Lot's of awesome possible plays incorporating speed like that.

Thinking with this compressed game schedule, Stan might want to consider putting together some "fresh legs" or "high energy" lineups. Seemed to work tonight.

I only saw the second half. And I am glad.

Was very impressed with Nelson's playmaking. He should stay that aggressive all the time. Redick's D annoyed me, I think he made quite a few mistakes both whilst on his man and in the team scheme. Davis was awesome, if he can play like then he is heads and shoulders better than Bass, his heart and energy was exactly what we need. Hughes was no all star but clearly 100000x better than Duhon. Thought it was a great move by Stan (beside putting Duhon in) for putting the young guys in with 5mins to go and a 10 point lead... game was still in reach for heat, so it was not just trash time mins for them. Anderson was great on D and O. Only thing I will pick on him for is that its like he already makes up his mind that he is going to shoot it before he gets the ball, and generally those shots ended up being bad ones.

Looking forward to season opener now. As long as we play with the same quality ball movement as we did last night we have a great chance of starting 1-0.

Hey guys.. watched it late on DVR too.. actually skipped most of the 2nd quarter, figuring we were on our way towards another blowout.. I was pleasantly surprised with the Magic's second half effort and intensity.

First, Glen Davis. I think we should start calling him "Lil' KG" or something. He makes the game more fun for everyone and keeps everyone's heads in the game.. there's no understating how important him winning a championship with Boston and him bringing that mentality here is. His jumper is just as reliable as Bass's, and everything else is better. Defense. Rebounding. Leadership. Hustle. You can already see him and Dwight becoming bros, and that doesn't hurt anything. :shard:

Then Larry Hughes. WOW! I haven't seen him play that well in three years, no joke. Instantly this guy is better than Duhon & Wafer.. I agree with whoever said Duhon has to be 4th string. Nelson starter, Hughes backup, Wafer 3rd string, Duhon suit-4-contract. Gotta be.

Loved how Meer played in the 3rd quarter, pick and roll after pick and roll, played fast, kept everyone involved. Now if his shot would come back, he'd be in All Star form again.. that's all that is missing.

I am not anticpating Hedo's return at all, I'd rather those minutes go elsewhere.

Nyce that there's something to be smiling about when it comes to the Magic for the first time in like, 8 months. Even better that Dwight was smiling.

I've always said the Magic should adopt a pick-and-roll offense. We have pieces ideally suited to it. Granted, we don't have Stockton on our team, but everyone in the 90s knew exactly what the Jazz were going to run; they just couldn't stop it.