Drain-O

The Official Dwight Howard Everything Thread

Unfortunately, I think he already has. I think we'd be in a much better position if we still had Gortat, Pietrus and Vince's expiring.

Months later, I still can't wrap my head around that trade.

I'm curious. How did the league screw us over with the Shaq situation and how did they make it so it couldn't happen to anyone else?

I believe the league came up with the restricted free agent after that happen... So teams can now hold on to rookies easier. If shaq was restricted, we could have matched to keep him.

The Nets deal blows. Lopez isn't ever going to amount to anything and those pics will be very late in the first round considering the Nets would have both Howard and D. Will. Why on earth would you want that package?

Next you're going to tell me you would take Bynum and change so we get something back for Dwight.

The Shaq situation was different. The league basically screwed us over, then made sure it couldn't happen to anyone else. To top it off, we had a fairly decent team without Shaq and a legit superstar on the roster when he left in Penny. If Dwight leaves, our team sucks. You aren't getting back a player of his caliber, a player that can raise this team up a level, so you're going to be stuck in mediocrity and ****ty late round draft picks never really getting a good chance to improve the team. You let Dwight walk (remember, you aren't just opening the door for him, you are making him a better offer than any other team can make, and forcing him to turn his back on that contract to take less money elsewhere, a gamble for sure, but you aren't just letting him walk).

Dwight leaves this team and we get some nice draft pics for a couple of years, develop the talent and turn the team around from the Draft. That's something that didn't happen when Shaq left. If you trade Dwight you will end up creating the same situation we were in post Shaq.

Sure, you deal with the public outcry of "we let Dwight go for nothing", but that's only the people that are casual fans and don't really understand the game, how to turn a team around, and the reality of the situation.

Never did I mention Bynum. I would not trade him to the lakers. I think he is ok but looks better because of the talent around him. plus, he gets injured a lot. the nets trade is not great but it is better then letting howard walk. Lopez is not a superstar but he does give us a 7ft player that can score 20pts a game. True centers are rare. Lopez's true value is his contract being cheap now giving us cap and then him being a restricted free agent, next year, allowing us to sign him by matching offers. The business side of the game is about assets. Lopez and the first round picks are assets. Blake Griffin and a new center would be my top targets. (If i would do a trade.)

Howard will not stay if we can not improve the team. We have had two years to make major moves and have failed.

Never did I mention Bynum. I would not trade him to the lakers. I think he is ok but looks better because of the talent around him. plus, he gets injured a lot. the nets trade is not great but it is better then letting howard walk. Lopez is not a superstar but he does give us a 7ft player that can score 20pts a game. True centers are rare. Lopez's true value is his contract being cheap now giving us cap and then him being a restricted free agent, next year, allowing us to sign him by matching offers. The business side of the game is about assets. Lopez and the first round picks are assets. Blake Griffin and a new center would be my top targets. (If i would do a trade.)

Howard will not stay if we can not improve the team. We have had two years to make major moves and have failed.

Saying that Lopez and late first round picks are assets is like leaving your wife all of your assets in your will, only later she finds out your assets amount to a house with a massive balloon payment due in a year and $300 in the bank. While technically you are correct, they are assets, realistically their value is crap.

You're in love with Lopez's contract, but he's going to get overpaid as a restricted free agent in a year, so what have you saved? Now you're in a position to over pay or start looking for yet another center.

You also ignored the whole point about those two draft picks from the nets being (very) late first round picks. Those are the worst picks to have because you end up taking a gamble on guys panning out, but you're locked into guaranteed contract amounts because you're in the first round. Sure, sometimes you get lucky and get a guy that can contribute like we did with Lee, but even then, if you get lucky enough to find two Lee's with those picks, is that really worth trading away Dwight? It's just a way to say "Well, we got a couple draft picks" and make yourself sleep better at night but that doesn't change the fact that it's a horrible deal.

Then, to top it all off, you claim that the business side of the game is all about assets, yet you said earlier you wouldn't trade with the Clippers unless you got Griffin back in the deal. Only, out of all the teams out there, the Clippers have some of the best assets available in terms of draft picks to trade. Much better than the picks from the Nets that you seem to be enamored with for some reason.

Unfortunately, I think he already has. I think we'd be in a much better position if we still had Gortat, Pietrus and Vince's expiring.

Months later, I still can't wrap my head around that trade.

I'm with you on that one. Makes no sense. I'd rather have Lewis as well.

Saying that Lopez and late first round picks are assets is like leaving your wife all of your assets in your will, only later she finds out your assets amount to a house with a massive balloon payment due in a year and $300 in the bank. While technically you are correct, they are assets, realistically their value is crap.

You're in love with Lopez's contract, but he's going to get overpaid as a restricted free agent in a year, so what have you saved? Now you're in a position to over pay or start looking for yet another center.

You also ignored the whole point about those two draft picks from the nets being (very) late first round picks. Those are the worst picks to have because you end up taking a gamble on guys panning out, but you're locked into guaranteed contract amounts because you're in the first round. Sure, sometimes you get lucky and get a guy that can contribute like we did with Lee, but even then, if you get lucky enough to find two Lee's with those picks, is that really worth trading away Dwight? It's just a way to say "Well, we got a couple draft picks" and make yourself sleep better at night but that doesn't change the fact that it's a horrible deal.

Then, to top it all off, you claim that the business side of the game is all about assets, yet you said earlier you wouldn't trade with the Clippers unless you got Griffin back in the deal. Only, out of all the teams out there, the Clippers have some of the best assets available in terms of draft picks to trade. Much better than the picks from the Nets that you seem to be enamored with for some reason.

lol

I don't believe the lopez is superman, but I is a major asset. He does need to average more than 6 rebs per game. Put tell me how a 7"0 265 Center, that is 23yrs old and averages 50% shooting, 20pts per game, 1.5 blks, and 1.6 apg is NOT an asset. The biggest thing is the position. He is one of the top centers in the game, because there really arent that may in the NBA (True Centers). Gordan is a nice player but there are a tone of 2 guards/wing players in the league. You can find wings late in drafts easier then you can find bigs. Big men have much more value. We also would dump turk, so the money he is taking up would go to lopez.

Okay, so you live in a world where Lopez is a major asset, one of the top centers in the game, and on a very attractive contract.

I live in a reality where the Nets are trying to upgrade at the Center position by signing Nene to a pretty hefty contract because he's a considerably better option at the center position than Lopez.

• Upvote 1

Okay, so you live in a world where Lopez is a major asset, one of the top centers in the game, and on a very attractive contract.

I live in a reality where the Nets are trying to upgrade at the Center position by signing Nene to a pretty hefty contract because he's a considerably better option at the center position than Lopez.

I think this statement says it all.....his own team does not want him as their starting center. It is one thing to try and trade for Dwight but they are looking at using all their cap space on Nene instead of filling another position of need (which they have many).

Call me crazy, but unlike Lavar, I do believe our starting center should average more than 6 rebounds a game. Christ, even below average centers grab more rebounds a game than that.

I live in a reality where the Nets are trying to upgrade at the Center position by signing Nene to a pretty hefty contract because he's a considerably better option at the

center position than Lopez.

Nene would play PF not C