Sign in to follow this  
A Better DJ & Photographer

Dwight Howard - should we trade him now?

Ride it out or get what we can  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Dwight Howard - should we trade him now?

• Ride it out and hope for the best
    • Trade him now for the best deal we can get
    • Trade him at the deadline for the best deal we can get

Well, we disagree about potential then.

Also, if we let Dwight walk, we still have Hedo's contract and less 1st round picks than if we would do similar trades to the one i mentioned.

We'd also have Lopez's or Gordon's extensions to replace whatever we save on Hedo, so that point is irrelevant.

It is all personal preference on this. Most of us feel that if we don't get anything worthwhile to rebuild with, we are better off letting him walk. Others may feel that the Magic need to put as competitive of a team as they can on the court. It is ultimately up to what the Magic think.

But so far of all the trade rumors I've heard, the Clippers offer is the one that stands out. That is because they can offer the T-Wolves' unprotected 1st round pick. Throw in young talented players like Eric Gordon, Aminu, DeAndre Jordan, Eric Bledsoe, etc. then you have the pieces to make a rebuilding like trade. But no to the Nets' offers of Lopez, no to taking Andrew Bynum and old players on bad contracts from the Lakers, no from taking Noah and Boozer from the Bulls. We need a legit rebuilding offer with high draft picks and young talent, or we are better off just letting him walk.

It is all personal preference on this. Most of us feel that if we don't get anything worthwhile to rebuild with, we are better off letting him walk. Others may feel that the Magic need to put as competitive of a team as they can on the court. It is ultimately up to what the Magic think.

That's like saying it's personal preference as to whether or not having your legs bitten off by radioactive space piranhas is preferable to not having that happen. Making a claim based on "personal preference" that flies in the face of the entirety of league history is only a personal preference in the same way that saying 2+2 = Anaheim is "personal preference".

It may be personal preference, but it's also really goddamn wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I say we ride it out. He may not want to leave money on the table like that and give it one last shot. Everything changes if Arenas comes back real close to the player he once was (who knows he may even opt out of his contract). If that pans out then you amnesty Hedo at the beginning of next year. I just hope the Magic don't pick up guys for more than 1 year.

I also don't want for the Magic to trade Howard for B-list players to keep us 6th - 8th seed just to make playoff money for the next few years. I would rather go right into rebuilding mode.

That's like saying it's personal preference as to whether or not having your legs bitten off by radioactive space piranhas is preferable to not having that happen. Making a claim based on "personal preference" that flies in the face of the entirety of league history is only a personal preference in the same way that saying 2+2 = Anaheim is "personal preference".

It may be personal preference, but it's also really goddamn wrong.

If someone would rather attempt to put out the most competitive team possible now rather than go into total tank mode, that IS their preference. It isn't comparable to having your legs bitten off by radioactive space piranhas or 2+2 = Anaheim. That is just their personal preference to what they want out of their basketball team. Personally, I don't want to make a half assed attempt at competing with a Dwight trade. But if someone else does, that is up to them. They may not want to deal with the rebuilding process and who knows how long it could take for them to field a good team again?

Besides, it is easy right now to say just start over without him. But I'm willing to bet if that happens, a lot of the people who said just let him leave will be angry and wondering why the Magic didn't do anything with Dwight when the team is on a 15 game losing streak and the season is over before the All Star break. Not saying you are one of those people, just bringing up a point.

It seems like we are all basically in agreement... right now Dwight is ours and it's up to management to show him that we are headed in the right direction. Gil coming back healthy and in shape could be a huge plus! Dwight making free throws would be an even bigger plus! We also need 1 player with the balls to take it to the hole and slam it on a regular basis. IMO if everyone we have steps it up a notch and the guys show a new found commitment to winning Dwight stays!

We'd also have Lopez's or Gordon's extensions to replace whatever we save on Hedo, so that point is irrelevant.

Is not irrelevant. You would be saving $35 M in Hedo, and giving a 10 years younger, much better player, similar money.

So you would be sitting with a 20-25 wins team, and guys like Redick, Nelson, Anderson, Bass, Gordon/Lopez and whichever filler you get in the trade.

Add 5 1st rounders in the next 3 years (3 are Orlando's own + 2 from the trade), considering 2 might be top 5 picks, given that we are going to suck for the next couple of seasons, and probably you have T-wolves unprotected if you deal with LAC.

In 3 years you have a still young roster, you are not capped out, and if you hit it in the draft, a similar team to what OKC has.

Tell me how this would be worse than your brilliant idea of letting him walk for nothing and keeping Hedo.

It seems like we are all basically in agreement... right now Dwight is ours and it's up to management to show him that we are headed in the right direction. Gil coming back healthy and in shape could be a huge plus! Dwight making free throws would be an even bigger plus! We also need 1 player with the balls to take it to the hole and slam it on a regular basis. IMO if everyone we have steps it up a notch and the guys show a new found commitment to winning Dwight stays!

I would like Gil showing up in shape and playing good ball, but chances are he won't be here much longer with the amnesty clause. Even if Otis opts to keep him around for this season, he is surely gone next season.

If someone would rather attempt to put out the most competitive team possible now rather than go into total tank mode, that IS their preference.

If someone would rather go bankrupt and die lonely and impoverished rather than live responsibly and die happy, that IS their preference.

And we've decided as a society that we have to pretend to be respectful towards people who make idiotic decisions, because a whole mess of stupid people don't understand the difference between acknowledging someone's belief and respecting it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You talk to him and see where hes at ASAP. Does he still want to win here in Orlando? If he does, then Otis has to go balls out to land some LEGIT talent and if it means amnestying his son Gilbert, you do it. This team needs a legit threat perimeter threat. If you get the feeling that hes leaving or he comes off in a way where he seems inconsistent, you start fielding offers and going for the best deal you can get that gives you a contending team AT LEAST 5 years down the road. You do NOT take Bynum and Gasol for him so if he demands out and wants to go to LA, you tell him to walk. You want pieces to rebuild. High draft picks, and or young studs.

Otis needs to play this like he holds the cards. Dwight has some sayso but the choice is Otis's.

If someone would rather go bankrupt and die lonely and impoverished rather than live responsibly and die happy, that IS their preference.

And we've decided as a society that we have to pretend to be respectful towards people who make idiotic decisions, because a whole mess of stupid people don't understand the difference between acknowledging someone's belief and respecting it.

Your comparisons are extreme and don't apply at all. A fan prefering an 6th-8th seed playoff team over being horrible is nothing like chosing to go bankrupt and die lonely.

Again, I would rather let him leave then trade him for any package the Lakers or Nets could offer. But do the Magic? For all we know they may try and do what Denver did to try and keep some level interest in the team to fill their brand new expensive arena. Otis already said that he won't rule out trading him if necessary.

Your comparisons are extreme and don't apply at all. A fan prefering an 6th-8th seed playoff team over being horrible is nothing like chosing to go bankrupt and die lonely.

Again, I would rather let him leave then trade him for any package the Lakers or Nets could offer. But do the Magic? For all we know they may try and do what Denver did to try and keep some level interest in the team to fill their brand new expensive arena. Otis already said that he won't rule out trading him if necessary.

I agree. Screw the Lakers. If thats where he wants to go, walk.. The problem with the Net's offer is they already traded the picks we need to rebuild so again, walk.