AddiFB

Offseason Thread Part VII: The Fall of The Lockout

Maybe realistic was the wrong word...errrrm basically i'm asking whats everyones feeling about Dwight staying??

My heart says yes myself, but my head not so much.

i dont think we will trade dwight, i think he will go into free agency & then its anybodys guess.

i also believe Paul WOULD come but can we get him?

i aint up to date on all the amnesty stuff but could that not help?

i dont think we will amnesty gil until we see how he plays this season. theres always hope lol

will we re sign j rich does anybody know?

1 thing we need straight away is a back up center & i think harper is gonna shine for us. just a feeling

nice 1 Hibachi bro

I think Dwight is gone. I do not think there is any chance of being able to convince him to stay now (thanks to the two trades Otis pulled the trigger on last season). I think Paul will only become a Knick, no chance on him going anywhere else. I think Williams would be a chance but we would have to clear a lot of cap to be able to be in the position to resign Dwight and sign Williams (which we could have done if Otis did not do both those trades). I do not think the near future is that bright for us, but still will be cheering.

Otis would be an absolute moron to do that.

The list of Lakers assets they'd actually let go in a trade for Dwight is embarrassingly small, and the new CBA rules make a salary dump on them completely impossible: they don't have cap space, they don't have expirings, and all of their bigger contracts are long term, so we won't gain anything by swapping Turk to them for someone.

There's simply no benefit to trading with the Lakers.

And before you say anything, there's no benefit to trading with the Nets either. Brook Lopez sucks.

And that doesn't even address the fact that refusing to S&T Dwight is our biggest bargaining chip. He leaves and it'll cost him more than 40m over the duration of the contract.

If you Dwight told Otis he was leaving, what should Otis do?

As to the Lakers idea, I believe a simple swap of Dwight and Arenas for Bynum and Gasol works, where Gasol ends up flipped for a young asset (e.g. Derrick Williams).

They could wait until the end of the season and buy out Gasol, then not pick up the team option on Bynum and Odom. That should get them under the cap an in position to make Dwight an offer. It also guts their team, but gives them Dwight and an aging Kobe to build around.

Their total salary without Bynum and Odom is 67.3m. Gasol makes 19m, so if he took a buyout for $.01, they'd still be at 48.3m in total salary for 2012-2013, plus the cost of whatever they pick up in rookie salaries this year and next. And that's based on Gasol giving up 38m over two seasons to stop playing for the Lakers and play for someone else.

They're simply not going to have the money to make any kind of competitive offer for Dwight.

Otis would be an absolute moron to do that.

Doesn't the thought of Otis giving Dwight a sign and trade deal so he "get's something in return" keep you up at night?

I agree that if Dwight leaves, Otis shouldn't trade him. As a matter of fact, that is about the best leverage Otis has in that case. Just let Dwight know if he stays, he makes more money in Orlando, but we aren't going to help him make more money elsewhere and giving some other team the best player in the league.

The real question is whether or not Otis will actually do this, or will he trade Dwight to "help him out and thank him for his time here" and allow himself the opportunity to say he got something of value in return.

Their total salary without Bynum and Odom is 67.3m. Gasol makes 19m, so if he took a buyout for $.01, they'd still be at 48.3m in total salary for 2012-2013, plus the cost of whatever they pick up in rookie salaries this year and next. And that's based on Gasol giving up 38m over two seasons to stop playing for the Lakers and play for someone else.

They're simply not going to have the money to make any kind of competitive offer for Dwight.

Sorry, when I said buyout, I was speaking of the amnesty clause.

Doesn't the thought of Otis giving Dwight a sign and trade deal so he "get's something in return" keep you up at night?

I agree that if Dwight leaves, Otis shouldn't trade him. As a matter of fact, that is about the best leverage Otis has in that case. Just let Dwight know if he stays, he makes more money in Orlando, but we aren't going to help him make more money elsewhere and giving some other team the best player in the league.

The real question is whether or not Otis will actually do this, or will he trade Dwight to "help him out and thank him for his time here" and allow himself the opportunity to say he got something of value in return.

Following the Shaq debacle, I don't think there's a chance in hades they let Dwight walk for nothing

I think Dwight is gone. I do not think there is any chance of being able to convince him to stay now (thanks to the two trades Otis pulled the trigger on last season). I think Paul will only become a Knick, no chance on him going anywhere else. I think Williams would be a chance but we would have to clear a lot of cap to be able to be in the position to resign Dwight and sign Williams (which we could have done if Otis did not do both those trades). I do not think the near future is that bright for us, but still will be cheering.

Do we know what will happen with j rich?

i heard if paul goes to ny he has to give up nearly 40mil, gotta be a brave man to do that. i'd take the 40mil!

is there no way cp3 & dwight take less money to join up with us?

who else do u think we could target? i admit otis seems to have backed us into a corner.

does the amnesty situation not help us at all?

If you Dwight told Otis he was leaving, what should Otis do?

Not a goddamned thing.

As to the Lakers idea, I believe a simple swap of Dwight and Arenas for Bynum and Gasol works, where Gasol ends up flipped for a young asset (e.g. Derrick Williams).

So how does taking on 33m in salary for 2012 and 19m for 2013 and 2014 help us rebuild faster than just letting Dwight's 18m expire and Amnesty-ing Gil?

And on what planet is Gasol's 3yrs, 57m worth the #2 pick in the draft?

It doesn't keep me up at night, but it's the kind of stupid, backwards thinking that makes teams wind up being mediocre for years at a time.

I'd bet any amount of money that the Lakers will amnesty Luke Walton, though they'd likely be better off axing Artest.

Walton is considering retirement, in which case, they wouldn't need to use the amnesty clause on him. If they were smart, they would wait until the end of this season and see if they really can make a play for Dwight, and if that's the case, they would absolutely have to use it on Gasol.

Do we know what will happen with j rich?

I have no idea, I guess it will be determined on his market value whether the magic will be able to keep him or not.

i heard if paul goes to ny he has to give up nearly 40mil, gotta be a brave man to do that. i'd take the 40mil!

I am not sure of the exact figures, but there is so much Paul going to NY articles and speculation out there that you would be stupid to put money on him going anywhere else.

is there no way cp3 & dwight take less money to join up with us?

We are not in a position to resign Dwight and be able to sign CP3, would also be very difficult now to get in a position to do both.

who else do u think we could target? i admit otis seems to have backed us into a corner.

I would think Deron Williams. That is a long shot though with the hole Otis has dug.

does the amnesty situation not help us at all?

No, the Amnesty will only help teams which can sink below the salary cap by quite a bit. We are not one of those teams. We can be one of those teams if someone goes back in time and somehow prevents Otis from making two terrible trades.