AddiFB

Offseason Thread Part VII: The Fall of The Lockout

I found a picture for "strapping on" but I don't think the mods would particularly care for it.

wtfcat.jpg

The amnesty thing...

Each team permitted to waive 1 player prior to any season of the CBA (only for contracts in place at the inception of the CBA) and have 100% of the player's salary removed from team salary for Cap and Tax purposes.

Salary of amnestied players included for purposes of calculating players'agreed-upon share of BRI.

A modified waiver process will be utilized for players waived pursuant to the Amnesty rule, under which teams with Room under the Cap can submit competing offers to assume some but not all of the player's remaining contract. If a player's contract is claimed in this manner, the remaining portion of the player's salary will continue to be paid by the team that waived him.

So essentially any player waived with the amnesty clause won't instantly obtain free agency and be free to sign anywhere they choose. The way the third bullet point reads is that teams that are under the salary cap would be able to submit offers to take on but not all of the player's remaining contract in a modified waiver process. If no one makes a claim then the player would be allowed to negotiate with any team.

So for example, Baron Davis was a rumored Miami Heat target if he was waived with the amnesty clause in Cleveland. Before Davis could sign with the Heatmag-glass_10x10.gif he would have to clear a waiver process by all of the teams under the salary cap. The Atlanta Hawks are over the cap so they would not be included in the waiver process. If Davis was claimed by a team under the cap then he would be headed their with his new team and the Cavaliers paying the bill.

Also my interpretation of the first bullet point is that you can use the amnesty clause on one player prior to any season of the CBA and only on contracts that were signed prior to the new CBA.

That could have positioned the Miami Heat to add players such as Baron Davis, Rashard Lewis, Brendan Haywood or Brandon Roy at the NBA salary minimum, with the players' previous teams still paying their full salaries. (Team-by-team decisions on specific players, if any, to receive amnesty releases will not be announced until after the CBA is ratified.)

However, in an outline of the proposed collective-bargaining agreement obtained by the Sun Sentinel, the NBA instead has instituted "a modified waiver process" that would allow teams operating below the salary cap to "submit competing offers to assume some but not all of the player's remaining contract."

For example, while Lewis has two years at $44 million total remaining on his contract, a team currently operating below the salary cap could bid to pay Lewis $3 million in each of those years (with the Washington Wizards, who are expected to make Lewis available, then paying the balance of his salary).

Some of it is still not 100-percent worked out," a party familiar with the impending policy told the Sun Sentinel.

Under the about-to-be-rubber-stamped program, teams such as the Heat and Lakers that are operating well above the salary cap would therefore be precluded from bidding on such players, able to move only on amnesty players who receive no partial bids in the waiver process. For the Heat, it would be a blow in the bid to add depth around LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

For teams currently operating well below the cap, such as the Denver Nuggets, Sacramento Kings, Indiana Pacers, Memphis Grizzlies, New Jersey Netsmag-glass_10x10.gif, Washington Wizards and New Orleans Hornets, it could provide a pennies-on-the-dollar windfall.

Well, that copy/paste sucked... hope you can read through it.

EDIT: FIXED IT! Omg I'm such an epic mod... (I just removed some <br> and some other nasty codes... I suck)

So the amnesty thing means we can't use it on Arenas or Turk because their contracts were before this new CBA. Am I understanding this correctly?

No, you are not.

Also, who authorized your rank of Captain?

Here is anotherf view from Sporting News Sean Deveney, who basically has stated the obvious about Dwight and the new CBA.

Dwight Howard. No franchise tag, no limitations on extend-and-trade deals, no limitations on sign-and-trades for the first two years of this CBA. That means Howard will have every opportunity to be this year’s Carmelo Anthony, able to sign on to stay in Orlando or leverage his way to a bigger market.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-11-27/winners-and-losers-of-the-nbas-collective-bargaining-agreement#ixzz1f1FL2h1w

This season Orlando will be Drama Central, unless Dwight commits early! Yeah right!!!

Why would you trade Dwight. Under the new CBA the most a free agent can sign for with another team is 4 years with 3.5% annual raises. A bird rights player can resign with his team for 5 years and 7.5% annual raises.

If you take that into consideration and use 25% of the cap of 58 million you come up with around 4/60 with another team and 5/85 with Orlando. Also factoring in state tax in California and New York that is a lot of money to give up. So if he wants to "win" that bad you let him put his money where his mouth is. There is no package of players in the NBA that will be worth anything close to Dwight's value. Worst case is he walks, you amnesty Arenas and you start rebuilding.

I might be in the minority but I think the Nuggets should have never traded Carmelo. That package of players they got was mediocre at best. I would rather be in the lottery for a few seasons ala Oklahoma City than be a 6-8 seed for a few years.

Why would you trade Dwight. Under the new CBA the most a free agent can sign for with another team is 4 years with 3.5% annual raises. A bird rights player can resign with his team for 5 years and 7.5% annual raises.

If you take that into consideration and use 25% of the cap of 58 million you come up with around 4/60 with another team and 5/85 with Orlando. Also factoring in state tax in California and New York that is a lot of money to give up. So if he wants to "win" that bad you let him put his money where his mouth is. There is no package of players in the NBA that will be worth anything close to Dwight's value. Worst case is he walks, you amnesty Arenas and you start rebuilding.

I might be in the minority but I think the Nuggets should have never traded Carmelo. That package of players they got was mediocre at best. I would rather be in the lottery for a few seasons ala Oklahoma City than be a 6-8 seed for a few years.

Because they were rumored to make special exceptions for the first two years, allowing players with expiring deals the ability to experience free agency under a similar set of rules as from the previous CBA.

Think of it as the "F you, Orlando, we all want a shot at getting Dwight" clause.

Edit: Never mind, I misread your post. I agree, don't trade him. If he doesn't want to re-sign, let him walk. He won't get a sign-and-trade that way and will be forced to get a new contract under the new rules with a new team and leave a significant amount of money on the table by walking away from Orlando.

If Dwight must be traded, I'm looking at OKC as a draft partner. I want Perkins, Ibaka, Harden, and 2 first round draft picks. Not a big fan of Westbrook. That would be the only deal I would go for to send away Dwight. Outside of that, I will roll the dice in free agency, clear as much cap as possible with expiring vets, and if he leaves, start from scratch.