AddiFB

Offseason Thread Part VII: The Fall of The Lockout

He did have Vince at one point, in Toronto, but he also asked for a trade because he said he was being overshadowed.

That's why I said "While here" ;)

See I don't buy that the big market pull is the only thing at play here. I think if all things were equal (we had cap space and talent) then he would not be looking around.

OK, then ask yourself this: how come he hasn't asked Deron Williams to come and play with him here, instead of the other way around?

• Upvote 1

Also: Reece Gaines, Jeryl Sasser and Shawn Kemp's decaying corpse.

Don't forget the decaying corpses of Ewing and Grant.

And we gave up Billups, picked Ameachi (however you spell it) over Wallace, traded the #9 pick in 2003 (Ended up being Amare) for Jud Buechler, and we did not go after Chris Webber when he was trying to come here.

See I don't buy that the big market pull is the only thing at play here. I think if all things were equal (we had cap space and talent) then he would not be looking around.

Imagine for example that Dwight had signed his extension long ago, allowing the front office to not try to win a title by bringing in certain players (ie. Hedo and Vince), instead playing for when Deron's contract is up, keeping 1st round picks, etc.

I am not certain of exact salary cap issues, but you can see my point. Tbh, I feel that the Magic right now and the Cavs before, where pseudo-forced to put themselves in position because their super-stars were unwilling to commit. It puts pressure for teams to get results NOW, without a good base, which rarely works in sports with caps.

I think one of the secrets of the Spur's success, as can be seen by the fact that they don't win back to back, but every other year during their prime, was the knowledge that Tim Duncan was there and wouldn't have a cow. (Ie. He is mature about these things.) They could legit contend for a title (and win) and then next year be a 3-4 seed while they reset a bit and not have it be the end of the world. It lead to long term stability of their franchise.

OK, then ask yourself this: how come he hasn't asked Deron Williams to come and play with him here, instead of the other way around?

What leverage do we have over the Nets? The difference between us and them (as I see it) is that out of the two of us they are the only ones that can sign a FA outright.

What leverage do we have over the Nets? The difference between us and them (as I see it) is that out of the two of us they are the only ones that can sign a FA outright.

The leverage would be Deron telling the Nets that he will not be signing an extension with them and requesting a trade to say, the Magic. I am sure that Deron and Dwight are talking. But my suspicion is that all the talk is about playing in Brooklyn, not playing in Orlando.

Don't forget the decaying corpses of Ewing and Grant.

And we gave up Billups, picked Ameachi (however you spell it) over Wallace, traded the #9 pick in 2003 (Ended up being Amare) for Jud Buechler, and we did not go after Chris Webber when he was trying to come here.

We suck... :(

Imagine for example that Dwight had signed his extension long ago, allowing the front office to not try to win a title by bringing in certain players (ie. Hedo and Vince), instead playing for when Deron's contract is up, keeping 1st round picks, etc.

I am not certain of exact salary cap issues, but you can see my point. Tbh, I feel that the Magic right now and the Cavs before, where pseudo-forced to put themselves in position because their super-stars were unwilling to commit. It puts pressure for teams to get results NOW, without a good base, which rarely works in sports with caps.

I think one of the secrets of the Spur's success, as can be seen by the fact that they don't win back to back, but every other year during their prime, was the knowledge that Tim Duncan was there and wouldn't have a cow. (Ie. He is mature about these things.) They could legit contend for a title (and win) and then next year be a 3-4 seed and not have it be the end of the world. It lead to long term stability of their franchise.

I understand your point and I agree that we have been pressured to win now. My feeling is this, a good GM would understand what he has to work with and plan accordingly. Otis should know that because we are not a huge market we will have that challenge with any player we have. Because we have that challenge he should have stuck with the plan of clearing space (in other words keeping Vince and Rashard) and worked with the understanding that Dwight would have been unhappy after last year but we would have Vince coming off the books and we would be amnestying Rashard. The difference between what he did and what he should have done is that if he stuck with his original plan we would be the ones pursueing players because we would have cap space and assets.

In order to deal with the star players you have to be able to keep them under contract while you retool. The Lakers did a good job of this with Kobe, they forced him to wait while they retooled and they were able to do that because they had him under contract. We would have Dwight under contract while retooling (as in this FA period) but our hands are tied at the moment because of poor decisions.

We can spend an enternity looking for the next Tim Duncan (a mature superstar) or we can realize that 99% of these star players are immature kids and realize that we need to come up with a good plan of action for dealing with them.

• Upvote 1