Sign in to follow this  
Trey Time

WE'RE HEADING TOWARDS DECERTIFICATION!

The NBPA just rejected the owners offer and plans to decertify and sue the NBA. Why is this important to us? If the Players Union decertifies, every (yes EVERY) contract in the NBA is voided. MEANING when the NBA returns, EVERYONE is a free agent. This is huge for us because that means...

Gilbert Arenas

Hedo Turkoglu

Chris Duhon

Are all free agents. This also means players like...

Kevin Durant

Dirk Nowitzki

Amar'e Stoudemire

Rajon Rondo

Are ALL free agents. Stern and Silver confirmed this on a Twtterview last night on @NBA, here is the following:

bagsack bagsack

@NBA If decertification of the Union occurs, will players' current contracts become void?

NBA NBA

.@bagsack If decertification occurs, players' contracts would become void

Right from the mouth (er...keyboard) of David Stern. Let's start putting our wish lists together! (Unless, in the NBA words like "voided contract" mean different things than what it does in the real world and someone like DoM will let me know that. Thus making me wrong and very sad face.)

Well looks like LA will finally be able to afford Dwight without a trade :shard: :( :gortat: :sadcrab: :rolleyes: :crabwalk: :chairshot:

Unfortunately that's a possibility too.

If that was even a possibility some kind of disbursal draft would follow. There is no way they would let every player become a free agent. I hope that players enjoy 47% and a hard cap.

Stern would have to argue in court to have guaranteed contracts voided, something he won't succeed in. As of right now, no one gets paid. But they're not free agents.

In other words, desertification doesn't magically erase contracts. Stern would have to win a legal ruling for that to happen.

The players should have decertified months ago. I don't know what they were waiting for as it was obvious that the Owners weren't going to give them the deal they wanted. Even players like Deron Williams are starting to complain about not doing it during the summer. The Players Union screwed up big time and they even saw the NFL Players Union do it! They have a freaking example of how it's done and they did nothing. Hunter is horrible...

http://www.sportsdivide.com

All I know is he said "all contracts voided". If your contract is voided, you don't have a contract. If you don't have a contract, you're a free agent.

The contracts resume when a deal is struck, unless your contract ran out during the process of course. So technically, the contracts are temporarily voided during the labor dispute. Like I said, he'd have to get a judge to agree with him on removing guaranteed money, something he'd have a hard time arguing.

It's more or less a scare tactic, considering no commissioner in their right mind would want that kind of chaos. The league would be a free for all, and teams would no longer own the rights to rookie contracts. It would be insane.

I suppose I could be wrong, but it doesn't really make sense.

Correct me if im wrong but by decertifying arent the players voiding there contracts? By seperating themselves from the entities they signed themselves to?

All I know is he said "all contracts voided". If your contract is voided, you don't have a contract. If you don't have a contract, you're a free agent.

He actually doesn't have the ability to simply void contracts because he says they are voided. He already tried to get the courts to rule that contracts are voided in the event of decertification. It might be his position, but in reality, it's just a threat at this point. Just like his continual ultimatums to the players.

Stern is using voided contracts as an empty threat. The courts will not allow that.

As for the decertification, dumb move. They should've done in this summer instead of after the season was supposed to start. They are throwing out an entire season's worth of salary for a chance to get help from courts. They will either have to come crawling back for 47% or the NBA will just dissolve or go to replacement players.