Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Van Gundy: Magic Will Continue To Rely On Three-Point Shot

“Especially from an offensive standpoint, this is a personnel driven league,” Van Gundy continued. “You do with what you have. We get it from our media all the time and our fans. We’ll have those nights, 2-for-23 from three. They say you gotta drive the ball more. Who? Who? That’s my question. Who? Who’s going to drive the ball? That’s not who we have. If I had a different team, there are a lot of guys in the league that I wouldn’t shoot threes with. We have who we have and we’re going to build our system around it.”

It's a good point (BMP and others made the same point way before). It's not like we have a guy who can consistently get the rim (except Jameer, I think he could if he tried more often).

So where do we stand now? More first round exits? More disappointing playoff runs because we hit cold streaks?

Source

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Yeah, I think I made that argument word for word. . . Stan will be hearing from my lawyer.

But seriously, if the team doesn't have any good mid range guys, no one to drive, and not a lot of good passers, there isn't much alternative. I would be okay with forcing the ball to Dwight a bit more, though.

Ultimately, if this team can't find any slashers, they NEED to go after some good passing big men, ESPECIALLY at the 4. A guy who can pass at that position would do wonders for our offense. Hell, bring back Lewis and run the same sets you run for Bass as well as the old ones, Lewis can still hit that midrange J and turnaround if needed, and as he's older you put him in position to make plays more often than score. Not to mention how much better our help defense would be with him back. . .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We gon' keep buildin' our Brick City, boys! It's gon' be huge!

We need some more diversity man... Sure we can shoot the lights out, but we all know we can also shoot ourselves into our own graves.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It feels good to post again here, been awhile.

It's not a groundbreaking comment from Stan or the large numbers of less important people that feel the same way, he has been saying that since atleast 2009.

If Jameer is our best perimeter player at getting to the rim then that just underscores the need for a slasher, because Jameer is average on a good day.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

It feels good to post again here, been awhile.

It's not a groundbreaking comment from Stan or the large numbers of less important people that feel the same way, he has been saying that since atleast 2009.

If Jameer is our best perimeter player at getting to the rim then that just underscores the need for a slasher, because Jameer is average on a good day.

rofl someone gave you a -1 because you said jameer is average....

this forum stinks... jameer stinks too

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

rofl someone gave you a -1 because you said jameer is average....

this forum stinks... jameer stinks too

hmmmm how can we find out who did it?

I hope you mean at getting to the rim and not as an overall PG. . . dude's no all-star but it's a little overkill to say there are at least 20 other PGs better than him

Has a "Live by the three"-team ever won the championship? It seems like teams like that tend to have good to great regular seasons, usually blow someone out in the first round of the playoffs, but the second they run into a team that can actually play defense, they're toast.

You have to have someone that drives the lane if you want to win the trophy. Dwight's a HUGE piece and gives us an advantage over every team in the league, but he needs someone else to keep the defense honest in the paint.