Sign in to follow this  
Osmosis

Do we got any real Christains here?

There are also a lot of nominal Christians

I'm not sure I know what a nominal Christian is.

I think the majority of active posters would define themselves as Atheist/Non-Religious.

I'm curious as to how you came to that conclusion.

I'm not sure I know what a nominal Christian is.

Someone being a nominal Christian means that they have been raised in a church environment but don't devote any time to investigating and pursuing their faith, yet still would say they are a Christian. The term "nominal" means "in name only". It's kind of like GOB being the acting President of the Bluth Corporation, while Michael actually does all of the work.

I'm curious as to how you came to that conclusion.

It's just from having been around and seeing the types of comments made on the board. A lot of the major posters, some being exempt, have made it pretty clear that they are not religious through their comments, either on the topic specifically (surprisingly, a lot of these) or in reference to portions of their beliefs. I think Christians are probably the second largest group on here, though.

I also could be misinterpreting some posters' comments. Sometimes, it's hard to tell in online message board posts. I am very open to this being the case, and would be pleasantly surprised if it is.

Someone being a nominal Christian means that they have been raised in a church environment but don't devote any time to investigating and pursuing their faith, yet still would say they are a Christian.

This is one of the things that turns people like me away from religion.

Why is it necessary to judge other people on how they choose to practice their faith? And how do you know that the way you do it is the correct way?

This is one of the things that turns people like me away from religion.

Why is it necessary to judge other people on how they choose to practice their faith? And how do you know that the way you do it is the correct way?

If somebody claims to be a Christian, it means that you believe that Jesus is Lord and you are pursuing to follow in his ways (Christ-ian = "little Christ"). This entails studying his actions and teachings so that you may emulate them yourself. If one is not doing that, they are not being a Christian.

All I know about what is the "correct way" is what Jesus says and does, and trying to follow suit. The example I gave of a nominal Christian is of somebody that does not do that. I don't hold denominational discrimination, if that is what you think. I am an Anglican, but I have many friends whom I would gladly turn to in faith who are Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, and others. I don't deny the salvation nor the sincerity in faith of these people.

If I say I am an environmentalist, or at least that I care about the environment, then proceed to drive my H3 around for a joy ride, throwing my trash out the window along the way; would you agree that I am not, in fact, an environmentalist?

If somebody claims to be a Christian, it means that you believe that Jesus is Lord and you are pursuing to follow in his ways (Christ-ian = "little Christ"). This entails studying his actions and teachings so that you may emulate them yourself. If one is not doing that, they are not being a Christian.

All I know about what is the "correct way" is what Jesus says and does, and trying to follow suit. The example I gave of a nominal Christian is of somebody that does not do that. I don't hold denominational discrimination, if that is what you think. I am an Anglican, but I have many friends whom I would gladly turn to in faith who are Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, and others. I don't deny the salvation nor the sincerity in faith of these people.

If I say I am an environmentalist, or at least that I care about the environment, then proceed to drive my H3 around for a joy ride, throwing my trash out the window along the way; would you agree that I am not, in fact, an environmentalist?

The problem with that is the fact that there are people who take it much further than you who would say that you aren't being a true Christian. What would you say to those people? And which one of you is right?

The problem with that is the fact that there are people who take it much further than you who would say that you aren't being a true Christian. What would you say to those people? And which one of you is right?

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, your soul, your mind, and your strength, and love your neighbor as yourself."

I actually have encountered people like that before, and some who have pointed the finger at me as being a sinner on the way to Hell.

And just to clarify, there are a number of tenants that are considered immovable doctrine within Christianity, such as the Oneness of God, the forgiveness of sin, the Resurrection and whatnot. And on those, I am unwavering. Those are definitely things one must believe, otherwise, why follow Jesus at all?

But more on point, even if one would consider someone else nominal, it must be approached lovingly. If I am falling short in a specific part of my faith, which I know we all are, and another comes to me and addresses it lovingly, I am open to listen and even change if it is right. If they approach with compassion, showing with gentleness why it is wrong what I am doing, I would hope that I would be accepting of that persons critique. But if they approach in a manner of condemnation and hatred, holding themselves up over me, I am much more likely to ignore their onslaught of criticisms.

You've heard the phrase, "hate the sin, not the sinner" right? It's a similar place one must come from in order to really win people over (it applies to the real world, too). We do not need to like an action to love the person committing the action.

We also must be always in remembrance that we ourselves are sinful and fallen human beings, and that the only reason we even have salvation open to us is because of the love and sacrifice of Christ, not by our own merit.

Also, the parable of the Good Samaritan is an example of how to view others. Samaritans were the outcasts in Jewish society. They were the mixed-bloods, children of Jewish and Gentile (non-Jewish) parents. But, Jesus used this person to exemplify treating a neighbor as oneself. So, even those who are not Christians, we Christians should view with love. Does the phrase, "love your enemies" ring a bell?

A big thing in Christianity is "servant leadership" which means that you lead others by acting as a servant to them. It's what Jesus did in John 13 when he washed the disciples' feet. The greatest showcase of love is when someone puts down their own will and desires in order to help another achieve their needs.

What do you think?

I don't have a religion but I don't find the existence of a god unreasonable. I don't know if there is one, though.

Why not just live your life as well as you can and when you die you see what happens?

And why is the existence of only one god more believable than the existence of several gods? e.g. greek mythology

Well I'm not surprised

Don't you have a hate mongering meeting to organize?

• Upvote 1

I don't have a religion but I don't find the existence of a god unreasonable. I don't know if there is one, though.

Why not just live your life as well as you can and when you die you see what happens?

I feel what you're saying, here. In fact, it's how I believed before coming to believe in Christ. The thing is, that being a Christian (or, I would guess, any other religion) is not about where you end up or how good you are. It's about being a part of something greater than yourself. Also, in Christianity specifically, it is about having a relationship with a loving and merciful God who takes you in as a child. Heaven is not just some place with gold roads and chocolate waterfalls. It's a place where one can be in eternal unity with the One True God, continuously and magnificently sharing your life with his.

This may not appeal to someone who views God as just some big judge awaiting our trial. And though he is the ultimate judge, he is so much more than that. So, I understand where you are coming from, but I think it is the wrong perspective when considering the benefits of Christianity.

And why is the existence of only one god more believable than the existence of several gods? e.g. greek mythology

I don't necessarily think it is. I think they can all be equally believable. But, the question is not whether or not they are believable, it's whether or not they are True. I personally believe that there is such a thing as objective truth. And that belief has led me to the belief in Jesus Christ.

I will say this: It is not that I deny the existence of other gods, but that I proclaim the lordship of the One God. I believe that there is a spiritual presence in the world, and that the material is not all that exists. This opens up many possibilities of the existence of beings that are beyond our scope of understanding. But, I firmly stand on the truth that there is One God who is greater than all of these other supernatural beings and who is the true creator of all things. Only through this One God can creation receive its salvation, and the means through which he has chosen for this to occur is Jesus Christ.

For myself, I came to this conclusion through my study of the person of Jesus and his death and resurrection. I believe firmly that the resurrection of Jesus is the central point of Christian faith, and if that were to be shown false, all else would crumble. Saint Paul even says in his letters that if Jesus did not raise from the dead, we are of all people most to be pitied.

I really do appreciate your comment, btw. It's thought-provoking.

• Upvote 1