Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Offseason Thread part 2

I just can't shake the thought of how bad our bench will be without JJ..Plus, with the amnesty clause, Hedo will be gone. I like the team, but it feels like our bench is lacking hard.

No, I don't think they give us Smith.

And anyone who'd use a 6 game sample as indicative of anything needs to seriously reconsider how they are arriving at conclusions.

You act like Josh Smith is some unknown. We all know his pros and cons. I'm just pointing out his "Whats he done lately" pros since thats what matters to most fans in sports.

I'd gladly take his pros and cons on this team.

Josh Smith would do wonders for this team if we can get a 2 guard that knows how to play offense other than chucking threes. But w aren't getting Smoove. If we did I'd throw a party and buy all of you drinks. But it ain't happenin.

I think we need Mayo as insurance if Arenas blows. This way we can trade Jameer and at least have 2 hybrid guards to play the point. I like Mayo over Ellis for multiple reasons, but the main one is that he is a lot cheaper. I believe the deal being discussed is Bass for OJ. If you are Orlando, you have to make this trade if possible.

The Josh Smith option is a long shot for many reasons.

What the Magic would need is to get lucky. Orton needs to develop fast enough to be a backup PF, and Fran needs to come over as well. This will provide much needed depth up front.

At this point you have a logjam at guard and need to make trades. The package to shop is Jameer and Anderson. The team to target is Portland. You make the offer for Miller and Batum, and throw in your 2012 first as well.

Now you hope the lockout ends fast. You can now S&T JJ and Jrich for Boozer since I believe JJ will be able to be moved to CHI in July. CHI will have what they need, which is SG depth, and the Magic will be back in contention and possible favorites if Arenas delivers.

The Magic would be smart to keep Qrich in this situation since he provides valuable defense and length off the bench. They would now have a second unit that is much improved, and they would not have made any FA signings to add to the salary.

Arenas/Miller/Duhon

Mayo/Qrich

Batum/Hedo

Boozer/Clark/Orton

Dwight/Fran

We have to get Mayo. Imo hes the SG we need with him being versatile and being able to play within a system like Stans.

As far as Batum, I wouldn't throw a first rounder at that. Forget that. We're trading away a PG in his prime for one whos got one foot into retirement and potential in Batum. Anderson is that as well. Its an even trade in my book.

I'd say getting Boozer is just as far stretched.

Finally, Fran ain't coming over. He'll never play in a Magic uniform imo.

I like the Bass for Mayo trade, if this is on the table, Otis needs to jump on it immediately.

We need to be careful about trading future picks because if no MLE exists in the new CBA, it is our only chance to improve except vet min.

I would wait on the boozer trade to see if any PF become available via amnesty clause (Brand comes to mind)

I like the Jameer/Anderson for Miller/Batum swap, but perhaps a 2nd round pick would be better.

I couldn't careless about our depth. We need a stronger starting 5 and a sixth man off the bench. A few vets sprinkled here and there are fine. We did the whole "maximum depth" thing and we see how that worked out.

• Upvote 1

We have to get Mayo. Imo hes the SG we need with him being versatile and being able to play within a system like Stans.

As far as Batum, I wouldn't throw a first rounder at that. Forget that. We're trading away a PG in his prime for one whos got one foot into retirement and potential in Batum. Anderson is that as well. Its an even trade in my book.

Wow, we posted at the same time, with the same ideas in mind. I forgot about Fran...you're right, hes not coming.

I just can't shake the thought of how bad our bench will be without JJ..Plus, with the amnesty clause, Hedo will be gone. I like the team, but it feels like our bench is lacking hard.

JJ Redick. Please. He's an honest player, but jeez.

I couldn't careless about our depth. We need a stronger starting 5 and a sixth man off the bench. A few vets sprinkled here and there are fine. We did the whole "maximum depth" thing and we see how that worked out.

I'm not worried about depth per-say. I'm worried about players filling roles. JJ is our best spark, our X factor some nights and one of our only consistent players. To make Hedo the man off the bench is really asking for trouble. Unless Andre can still be that guy (But I haven't seen the guy play for a while.Should probably do some stat searching)

Fran not coming over is not a fact by any means.

Boozer is definitely not far fetched. CHI wants him out, and he wants to play with Dwight.

You wouldn't throw a late 1st rounder in to get Batum? Wow, that's just lack of knowledge. Sorry. Batum is very young and incredible talented. POR is not going to give him away.

Miller expires and provides us with a real PG as insurance for Arenas.

Yes we could wait on amnesty. But that is still taking on more contracts and not moving any in return.

The Atlanta Hawks are seeing what they can get for Josh Smith on the open trade market, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, and Smith isn’t against being traded.

Smith listed the Boston Celtics, New Jersey Nets, Houston Rockets and Orlando Magic as his preferred trade destinations. The reason for a possible trade is tension between Smith and the Hawks — he and the Hawks haven’t always seen eye to eye — as well as the Hawks’ desire to shed salary.

The Magic would, of course, have interest in Smith, given his close relationship with Dwight Howard and his ability to defend almost anyone. Howard was the best man in Smith’s wedding last summer, and Smith would certainly help keep Howard (or should we say GM Howard?) in town beyond this season.

But it’s hard to envision the Magic putting together an attractive enough package to make the trade happen.

Strapped with Joe Johnson’s six-year, $123 million dollar contract — certainly one of the most outrageous salaries in the NBA — the Hawks are looking to shed salary while still remaining competitive. This puts them in the market for a veteran with a short contract or a player whose contract expires. The Magic can offer neither.

The Magic’s best hope is to convince the Hawks to give up Smith based on roster improvement, not salary reduction.

For example, the Magic could offer a package of Jameer Nelson and Brandon Bass for Smith, a move that would give the Hawks a legitimate point guard and some toughness on the inside. The Magic would acquire a versatile player who appeases Howard. All three players have two more years left on their deal and the salaries line up, so financially it’s a wash. The Hawks will probably receive a better offer than that, though, and that deal might not make Orlando better, to be frank.

Also worth mentioning: Intra-division trades are rare, especially when both teams are competitive. Neither team wants to help the other, especially because they’ve met in the playoffs the last two seasons.

All in all, it’s highly unlikely Smith will end up in Orlando, given the Magic’s inability to help Atlanta financially. This will be a common theme this summer: The Magic would have interest in Player X, but they lack the assets to acquire him.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2011/06/josh-smith-hits-trade-market-lists-orlando-as-possible-destination.html