ShefGator2

Trade Rumor Heard on ESPN Radio this morning

So he only gets credit for "destroying it" and no credit for making it? Cool

and you have to be almost braindead to honestly believe that roster would be able to compete in 2010 and this year

Agreed. Otis made the right moves after the finals loss, he just screwed up this year signing Hedo again

Do we? Does he? Do I? Dwight's significant improvement, Courtney Lee and JJ with two more years in the system, Gortat off the bench. The decline of Rashard was exaggerated, although I do not know when he sustained his injury. Hedo wouldn't be too terrible, unless he played like he did this post season, where pretty much everyone outside of Dwight underperformed. We would also have Pietrus for some perimeter defense, and if Rafer and Jameer coexisted, they would be a good PG rotation.

Did we?

The biggest thing about that run was how well Hedo and Lewis were playing. I highly doubt Lewis would've sustained that kind of effort, I doubt Jameer/Alston would've coexisted, I doubt Hedo wouldn't have turned into the same fat piece of crap he turned into in 2009-2010 after he got paid. I also doubt Redick would've grown into a rotational player with CLee still in the squad. Then there's Pietrus' decline (a guy who was HUGE in the playoffs).

The Boston team in 2010 was better than 2009's both because of KG's return AND Rondo's, as well as better (or more mature) role players. I guess I should've explained though, I think that team would've gotten to the ECF, which is competing, but it would've most likely lost in the same fashion, very close games and blowouts. And I do think the team fares better against the Hawks this year, but I don't see it in the ECF, and if so, I can't envision that team beating Miami/Boston

Obviously these are just guesses, but the East has gotten better and better year after year, and the Magic would've had to deal with 20mpg getting better and their 35+mpg players getting worse (with the exception of Dwight).

Agreed. Otis made the right moves after the finals loss, he just screwed up this year signing Hedo again

Eh, getting Wince was a gamble, although a gamble many of us would take because of the players the Magic gave up (and got back). Not many expected Wince to turn into a giant stat padder that didn't ever really help the team win and would crumble up into a ball whenever there was a meaningful game ahead.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So he only gets credit for "destroying it" and no credit for making it? Cool

and you have to be almost braindead to honestly believe that roster would be able to compete in 2010 and this year

My criticism of Otis is that he doesn't seem to have much of a long term vision for the franchise.... Every move he has made hasn't been terrible but with contracts he should've always been trying to have as much flexibility going into your star players Free Agency year....

My criticism of Otis is that he doesn't seem to have much of a long term vision for the franchise.... Every move he has made hasn't been terrible but with contracts he should've always been trying to have as much flexibility going into your star players Free Agency year....

Otis was trying to keep the championship window open. Lewis only scored 20+ points 3 times with us prior to the trade. He was averaging 12ppg. Carter was averaging 15ppg. Both players ended up doing horribly with their new teams. Both players had a difficult time seeing the court at the end of the season.

We keep Carter and Lewis and we likely face the same result in the playoffs. It was a bold move to keep our window open. It failed.

I somewhat agree, and if anyone remembers, I gave him a lot of **** for making those trades because it killed our flexibility. With that said, that team wasn't going to win anything AND we wouldn't have had the cap space to sign anyone in 2012. He'd be getting just as much criticism if he kept the team intact and did nothing to try to make it better, just so he could free up cap space.

We'll really only find out whether or not Otis' moves worked out or not in 2012. When he said that the team has to take a step backwards before taking a step forward, that could've meant exactly that they'd have to suck for a season or two but in 2012 Arenas would opt out and the Magic would re-sign Dwight with another star and Arenas (to a contract that would compensate for his $40 million loss, something like 5 years $45mil)

Otis was trying to keep the championship window open. Lewis only scored 20+ points 3 times with us prior to the trade. He was averaging 12ppg. Carter was averaging 15ppg. Both players ended up doing horribly with their new teams. Both players had a difficult time seeing the court at the end of the season.

We keep Carter and Lewis and we likely face the same result in the playoffs. It was a bold move to keep our window open. It failed.

Carter was a bigger expiring than JRich, and we wouldn't have taken Hedo's terrible contract while giving away pieces like Gortat and MP.

Carter was a bigger expiring than JRich, and we wouldn't have taken Hedo's terrible contract while giving away pieces like Gortat and MP.

But let's face it. Otis HAD to make a move. The roster was really stale. We had lost what? 8 of 9? and he knew he had to do something to keep it fresh and keep us relevant when other teams were improving around us. Now was it a good move? No. Obviously not. But it could have been the best deal on the table Otis had at that time. We don't know what deals were considered.

I'm not defending the moves that were made. I'm defending the need to make a move.

• Downvote 1

But let's face it. Otis HAD to make a move. The roster was really stale. We had lost what? 8 of 9? and he knew he had to do something to keep it fresh and keep us relevant when other teams were improving around us. Now was it a good move? No. Obviously not. But it could have been the best deal on the table Otis had at that time. We don't know what deals were considered.

I'm not defending the moves that were made. I'm defending the need to make a move.

That's horrible logic. Making a move that makes you worse, simply because you feel the need to make a move is horrible management. The "need to make a move" is a need to get better in some aspect, be it better on the court, or better financially in the long term, you don't make a change just to make a change. What Otis did made our team worse on the court and worse in the long term financially as well.

What if Otis decided he needed to make a change and the only deal on the table was for Dwight?

• Upvote 4

That's horrible logic. Making a move that makes you worse, simply because you feel the need to make a move is horrible management. The "need to make a move" is a need to get better in some aspect, be it better on the court, or better financially in the long term, you don't make a change just to make a change. What Otis did made our team worse on the court and worse in the long term financially as well.

What if Otis decided he needed to make a change and the only deal on the table was for Dwight?

Obviously you do it. Specially for Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson and Asik. That's a great deal.

(hopefully sarcasm detectors are working)

This

It was definitely the wrong move in hindsight and the majority of the regular posters here were against trading for Arenas when we heard the first rumor back in November. The way Richardson and Arenas were playing prior to coming here made it seem like a better trade. The first 10-15 games here trading for hedo again made Otis look like a genius (we won 13 of 18 during the first 18 games with everybody and Hedo was shooting efficiently and also had a triple double and a 17 assist game. That same time span JRich had 5 20+ point games and Arenas scored in double figures 6 times.).

I didn't like trading for arenas then and I dont like trading for arenas now. You could follow Otis' logic when the moves were made though.

It was definitely the wrong move in hindsight and the majority of the regular posters here were against trading for Arenas when we heard the first rumor back in November. The way Richardson and Arenas were playing prior to coming here made it seem like a better trade. The first 10-15 games here trading for hedo again made Otis look like a genius (we won 13 of 18 during the first 18 games with everybody and Hedo was shooting efficiently and also had a triple double and a 17 assist game. That same time span JRich had 5 20+ point games and Arenas scored in double figures 6 times.).

I didn't like trading for arenas then and I dont like trading for arenas now. You could follow Otis' logic when the moves were made though.

Exactly. That's what I was trying to say. At the time, it looked good because J-Rich was balling and when Hedo got here, he started playing like 08-09 Hedo. They just didn't keep that high level of play up for the rest of the season and playoffs.