Sign in to follow this  
OrlandoNKentucky

If you could form a realistic team around Dwight

This probably deserves to go in the official offseason thread, but I thought it could be a fun light hearted, not to be really taken serious thread that could help the offseason go by faster. If it does need to be in the offseason thread, lock-it-up and I'll post it in there.

Anyways, I was reading the offseason thread and almost every other post had a full potential lineup that they thought would be achievable.

If you could make realistic additions to this team (I'm using the word realistic very loosely, basically no lineups of Paul/Wade/Durant/Amare/Dwight) -- what would that lineup look like?

Basically I'm asking - if you could form a team that isn't a substitute for the all-star teams in Feb. what would that team look like?

I know for me the team that I believe would convince Dwight to stay consists of 7 easy steps (I know I figured it out, Fire Otis - Hire Me)

Step 1: Acquire Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo via Trade

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=42eke4c

Step 2: Acquire Antawn Jamison via Trade

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3trg86d

Step 3: Sign Nazr Mohammed to Vet Min

Step 4: Sign Kelenna Azubuike to Bi-Annual Exception

Step 5: Sign Mickael Pietrus and Tracy McGrady to parts of the MLE (Pietrus getting roughly 4 mil and Tmac getting roughly 1 mil)

Step 6: Resign Clark

Step 7: Sign and Trade Jason Richardon for Tyrus Thomas

Final Roster for 2011-2012 Season

Nelson/Arenas/Smith

Mayo/TMac/Buike

Gay/Pietrus/Clark

Jamison/Thomas/Anderson

Dwight/Nazr/Orton

Then you'd have 6 players coming off the books before the 2012 summer, not sure what that total would be but it has to be large enough to go after Paul/DWill or someone else.

:happypuppy:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Steps 1 and 2 are not realistic.

I did say that I was using the word realistic loosely, but you interpret it however you want and ruin the fun.

Also if you're so smart, why don't you just tell me you're ideal lineup around Dwight?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Repost from the offseason thread. 1 might not be realistic anymore.

1. Trade our Suns TPE to Memphis for OJ Mayo.

-He is undersized as a 2 guard but he still has a lot of potential, and even at 6'4, he can't be too much worse defensively than J-Rich. He also has decent play-making abilities and drives to the basket. According to various salary sites, his contract expires when Dwight can opt out, giving us a little more flexibility that summer to keep Dwight happy. (An alternative that I would absolutely love would be to trade our TPE to Denver for Afflalo. He is amazing. Not sure if we can do that though since he is restricted, and Denver probably wouldn't do it anyways.)

2. Sign-and-trade J-Rich and Bass to New Orleans for David West.

-J-Rich would be perfect next to CP3 and he is a hell of a lot better than Bellineli. Bass would be the hometown kid. They have Landry and he played pretty well when West was out. We get a dependable PF with a great jump shot that can help spread the floor, and that was on a great defensive team this season. The injury, though, may be an issue. This probably takes out the possibility of us getting Chris Paul, as West will probably get a big contract from us. However, if we somehow managed to clear space when CP3 is a free agent, having West would most definitely make us his favorite imo.

3. Trade Hedo, Redick and/or Ryno to Cleveland for Antawn Jamison.

-Would Cleveland do this? I don't know. They don't care about money, but I'm not sure if they would take on Hedo to get potential in Ryno and a pretty good 2 in Redick. Parker is expiring though and I doubt anyone signs there. For us, obviously Jamison isn't that good, but he is a huge expiring and can still give us scoring. He would play SF though, not sure how well he can play that. Would have to take place in July since Redick is BYC, which means the CBA could change everything.

3. Sign Shane Battier to some/all of the MLE.

- Battier could be like a smarter, more dependable Pietrus off the bench. Veteran guy, hits the 3 at a nice clip, especially corners, great defense. Hopefully we could get him for 3-5 mil.

4. Sign Nazr Mohammed to the bi-annual.

-Nazr plays back-up center. Good defender and rebounder, all we need.

5. Maybe sign Josh Powell for the minimum.

-He is Dwight's good friend, gives us more big man depth.

6.Resign Clark

-Why not?

Line-up:

Jameer/Arenas/Duhon

Mayo/Q/Arenas

Jamison/Battier/Clark

West/Clark/Jamison

Dwight/Nazr

Truthfully, I would like to trade Jameer so Arenas can start. I don't think Jameer can take us any farther than he has, and we can't have 20 mil sitting on the bench. Call me naive, but I really think Arenas will work hard this summer and come back a lot better next year, especially if he gets to start. He was averaging 22 and 7 before the gun incident. I would want to trade him for a swingman, personally.

Blast away.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I got a lot of these ideas from RealGM. I know that takes a lot of credibility away for some of you guys lol

• Downvote 2

Jameer Nelson, Rafer Alston, Anthony Johnson, Tyronn Lue

Courtney Lee, JJ Redick, Jeremy Richardson

Hedo Turkoglu, Mickael Pietrus

Rashard Lewis, Tonie Battie

Dwight, Gortat, Foyle

I think this is a team that could get to the finals.

• Upvote 2

Jameer Nelson, Rafer Alston, Anthony Johnson, Tyronn Lue

Courtney Lee, JJ Redick, Jeremy Richardson

Hedo Turkoglu, Mickael Pietrus

Rashard Lewis, Tonie Battie

Dwight, Gortat, Foyle

I think this is a team that could get to the finals.

those ppl are tres bad do not beat philly in tournament now maybe 2 years before

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

those ppl are tres bad do not beat philly in tournament now maybe 2 years before

+1 congolese brother

--

My turn now:

2 trades

Philly: Meer, Hedo, Redick, Ryan for Iguodala Brand

NOLA: Bass, Q, Duhon for Jack, Ariza

(Re)Sign: Fran, Vince, Clark, backup SF and SG, draft PG

Arenas/Jack/Drafted PG

Iguodala/Vince/free agent

Ariza/free agent

Brand/Clark/Orton

Dwight/Fran

1.) Trade Gil, R.A, & 2013 1st rd pick to Sacramento for Dalembert & Casspi.

2.) Trade Turk, Nelson, and cash to Indiana for Granger, Posey. (hopefully can buyout posey but also expires next yr)

3.) Trade Redick, Bass, Q. Rich, Orton, & cash to Utah for Jefferson.

4.) Sign & Trade Clark to Minnesota for Flynn

5.) Sign & Trade J. Rich to LA Clips for Kaman (expires next offseason)

6.) Let Dalembert walk unless signs for vet min

7.) Sign other positions for vet min

8.) Pray CP3 will sign but realistically this is as good as the team could get unless they hit a gold mine in the draft (2nd rd)

C Howard, Kaman, FA

PF Jefferson, Kaman, FA

SF Posey (if cant buyout), Casspi

SG Granger, Casspi, FA

PG Flynn, Duhon, FA

Trade Turk, Ryno, and Orton for Iggy, maybe. Then trade Jameer, JJ, and Bass to Portland for Camby and Andre Miller.

Then get Prince with MLE.

Leaving you with a lineup of:

Miller/ Arenas/ Duhon

Iggy/Q/Arenas

Prince/Q/Clark

Camby/Clark/Allen

D12/Camby/Allen

Does that win a title? Probably not, but it has a better shot than the roster Orlando has right now, and the financial situation is better as Camby and Miller are expiring.

Then again, all that is just kinda off the top of my head, and I'm not sure it would really be that great.

IMO we only have chance at old, past their prime players like T-Mac and VC.. We won't get guys like Camby, Afflalo, Smith, etc. via trade.

1) http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3zrr3bt

Oklahoma wants some scoring from their bigs, so they get pretty good scoring player in Bass. Also, they get Jarrett Jack, who can let Westbrook rest, also, Jack can play the two guard and I guess he is the one, who would improve their offense. (that should be their offseason goal, because, we saw that they are limited offensively)

New Orleans lose Jack and Ariza, but they get Sefolosha to compensate Ariza’s defense. Also, they get playmaking tall SF Hedo, who, they hope, could play like in 2009. Duhon is replacement for Jack at back-up PG.

We get 2 good defensive players. In the other end, Collison can hit the mid range jumper/finish at the rim. Ariza can put up some highlight dunks, can hit the 3, if the defense disrespect him.

2) Sign DeShawn Stevenson and let J-Rich go.

3) Don’t let Earl Clark go.

4) Sign back-up C: Nazr Mohhamed.

5) Sign 3rd PG: Acie Law

Our team:

Nelson/Arenas/Law

Stevenson/Redick/Arenas

Ariza/Q-Rich/Clark

Collison/Anderson/Clark

Howard/Mohhamed/Collison

Doesn’t look like a big improvement, but:

We get much better frontcourt defensively with Collison instead of Bass and Dwight finally gets the back-up. Our SF position is not the ones who can create shots, but they’re good defensively/spreading the floor. SG position could provide more time for Redick and give some time for Arenas at 2. Stevenson to start, like in Dallas: he’s a shot maker and a good defender.

Basically, still the same Magic that it is now: Shooters around Dwight, but much better defensively. What do you guys think? Would you agree to have this team? Would you say that this team has a chance to win?

• Upvote 1