Sign in to follow this  
Commodore K'nection

If Magic trade Dwight Howard, Chicago Bulls ideal destination

It doesn't take a super sleuth to realize that this poster has way to many posts to be a alt Jareth account. It's DOM.

********BEGIN TRANSMISSION*******

It grows harder and harder to muster the energy to even converse with these pathetic sub-creatures.

*******END TRANSMISSION*******

********BEGIN TRANSMISSION*******

It grows harder and harder to muster the energy to even converse with these pathetic sub-creatures.

*******END TRANSMISSION*******

It grows harder and harder to understand how a post is written in the form of a video transmission

Let me ask you a few questions. How did the Nuggets do this season? Do you expect them to do any better next season? If your Bulls team was a perennial playoff team that consistently lost in the first round with no real shot to win it all would you be satisfied?

Please answer those 3 questions for me and we will go from there.

The Denver Nuggets actually played BETTER without Melo. I think they won 50 plus games, and going into the playoffs there was talk a lot of teams didn't want to face them. Some ESPN experts actually had Denver beating OKC in the first round.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/matchup/_/teams/nuggets-thunder

I do expect them to play better and get a higher seed next season with some time to gel. Without Melo, they have learned to play as a team, play scrappy defense and share the ball. As for the Bulls, after the dynasty was broken up, we were in the garbage can for a decade. Those were some painful years. When we finally got rebuilt to make the playoffs (Kirk Hinrich, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Ben Wallace, Scott Skiles years) it was a hell of a lot better than being a perpetual lottery team.

We had numerous lottery pick after lottery pick (Elton Brand, Marcus Fizer, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Jay Williams etc) and it didn't amount to anything. The lottery can be a total crapshoot, I'd much rather have my team compete for a playoff spot and see what happens. See the Memphis Grizzlies, they were the 8th seed in the West. But they managed to knock out the 1-seed, energize their fan base and could even make it to the WC Finals.

• Downvote 3

The Denver Nuggets actually played BETTER without Melo. I think they won 50 plus games, and going into the playoffs there was talk a lot of teams didn't want to face them. Some ESPN experts actually had Denver beating OKC in the first round.

I do expect them to play better and get a higher seed next season with some time to gel. Without Melo, they have learned to play as a team, play scrappy defense and share the ball. As for the Bulls, after the dynasty was broken up, we were in the garbage can for a decade. Those were some painful years. When we finally got rebuilt to make the playoffs (Kirk Hinrich, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Ben Wallace, Scott Skiles years) it was a hell of a lot better than being a perpetual lottery team.

We had numerous lottery pick after lottery pick (Elton Brand, Marcus Fizer, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, etc) and it didn't amount to anything. The lottery can be a total crapshoot, I'd much rather have my team compete for a playoff spot and see what happens. See the Memphis Grizzlies, they were the 8th seed in the West. But they managed to knock out the 1-seed, energize their fan base and could even make it to the WC Finals.

How does it feel to be the team that refused to trade Ben Gordon and Luol Deng for Kobe Bryant?

DUNCE CAP

• Upvote 1

Jarreths trying to cover up his nerdom, 25000 posts wouldn't help.

You busted him. He signed up in Dec 06 as Drunk on Mystery then signed up again in 6 months as Jareth Cutestory in the hopes that in 5 years someone would catch on to his little joke and laugh for maybe 2 seconds. Yes, he made almost 20,000 posts as a joke. Good work Watson.

It grows harder and harder to understand how a post is written in the form of a video transmission

When you come to this site it helps to picture many of the posters here as part of the Zoltan crew in Dude Where's My Car, that's what I do. Things will become crystal clear for you at that point.

zoltan1.jpg

ZOLTAN!!!

You busted him. He signed up in Dec 06 as Drunk on Mystery then signed up again in 6 months as Jareth Cutestory in the hopes that in 5 years someone would catch on to his little joke and laugh for maybe 2 seconds. Yes, he made almost 20,000 posts as a joke. Good work Watson.

What's a Drunk on Mystery?

We had numerous lottery pick after lottery pick (Elton Brand, Marcus Fizer, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Jay Williams etc) and it didn't amount to anything. The lottery can be a total crapshoot, I'd much rather have my team compete for a playoff spot and see what happens. See the Memphis Grizzlies, they were the 8th seed in the West. But they managed to knock out the 1-seed, energize their fan base and could even make it to the WC Finals.

I can't see Denver getting a higher seed. They were the 5th seed and I have hard time believing they are going to make strives that big. I see them dropping off to a 44 win team or so next year. They got a solid return for Melo, but at the some point they won't be relevant in the big picture of things anytime soon either. Unless Gallinari magically becomes the next Dirk (he won't).

The Nuggets enjoyed a nice little rallying charge when Melo left. That's great and it makes for a nice story. They also had zero chance of beating anyone in the playoffs and were easily trounced by the Thunder. I'll take it a step further and say they have no chance of winning 50 games next season. However, let's assume they will for argument sake, who are they going to beat in the playoffs without a legitimate crunch time scorer? They managed to score in the regular season by getting up and down the court and getting easy baskets. As soon as the game slowed down, they struggled mightly and that was very evident when they played the Thunder. So, we now have a Nuggets team that made for a very nice story, are pretty entertaining, stand a snowballs chance in hell of winning a championship, and yet can't do anything to really improve their team. It's very unlikely they are going to draft a superstar player with a mid to late first round pick and they have too much money tied up into players to permit them to sign the type of player that can really put them in a position to win it all. They are stuck.

I'll be honest, I really don't believe that you would be content simply being a playoff contender and I'll tell you why. When Paxson first took over your team, he drafted pretty well (other than Curry) and had a lot of cap flexibility. Your team was full of hard workers (again, other than Curry) and they were a team that was easy to root for. They made it to the playoffs several years in a row and even beat the defending champs in the first round. It quickly became clear though that despite how talented the team was, the Bulls were not going to win it all without a superstar caliber player. Here's where you come in. I will bet a year's worth of my salary that you were fully on board the "Trade for Kobe!" train. Why? Because you knew that he could be the player that had the ability to carry a team to a championship. So, despite your "I would be completely happy competing for a playoff spot" rhetoric, I honestly don't believe a word of it.

I really don't agree with your Memphis analogy either. For starters, I'm not sure that they can truly compete against the Mavs or the Heat in a series. However, even if they can, they have a legitimate 20 and 10 guy in Zach Randolph....who has been playing better basketball than at any point of his career. They go to him when then are struggling to score and he produces. He is playing at a superstar level right now. Joakim Noah and Taj Gibson are not going to give that to us. That is the difference. They are players that you put around your superstars.

The Bulls just had crappy management and made some very terrible decisions/trades.

And the Grizzlies have managed to do that by rebuilding. They won 24 or less games 3 years in a row, and because they sucked they were able to draft Mayo, Gay, Young, Conley. And hell, through the draft they were able to trade Battier for Gay, and a few years later used Thabeet to trade back for Battier.

None of this would've been possible had the Grizzlies played 8th seed basketball and never gotten to the lottery. The Magic wouldn't have Dwight Howard if they hadn't sucked. I'd mention the Bulls here but they managed to do the nearly impossible by getting that #1 pick, and if they hadn't overcome 98.3% of odds, they would've been the counterargument, as they would've continued to headline the non playoff teams or never get past the 2nd round.

Hell, nearly every team currently in the playoffs are in the playoffs because they sucked really hard, got a high draft pick, and was able to acquire a superstar and/or very solid 2nd options.

The Nuggets enjoyed a nice little rallying charge when Melo left. That's great and it makes for a nice story. They also had zero chance of beating anyone in the playoffs and were easily trounced by the Thunder. I'll take it a step further and say they have no chance of winning 50 games next season. However, let's assume they will for argument sake, who are they going to beat in the playoffs without a legitimate crunch time scorer? They managed to score in the regular season by getting up and down the court and getting easy baskets. As soon as the game slowed down, they struggled mightly and that was very evident when they played the Thunder. So, we now have a Nuggets team that made for a very nice story, are pretty entertaining, stand a snowballs chance in hell of winning a championship, and yet can't do anything to really improve their team. It's very unlikely they are going to draft a superstar player with a mid to late first round pick and they have too much money tied up into players to permit them to sign the type of player that can really put them in a position to win it all. They are stuck.

I'll be honest, I really don't believe that you would be content simply being a playoff contender and I'll tell you why. When Paxson first took over your team, he drafted pretty well (other than Curry) and had a lot of cap flexibility. Your team was full of hard workers (again, other than Curry) and they were a team that was easy to root for. They made it to the playoffs several years in a row and even beat the defending champs in the first round. It quickly became clear though that despite how talented the team was, the Bulls were not going to win it all without a superstar caliber player. Here's where you come in. I will bet a year's worth of my salary that you were fully on board the "Trade for Kobe!" train. Why? Because you knew that he could be the player that had the ability to carry a team to a championship. So, despite your "I would be completely happy competing for a playoff spot" rhetoric, I honestly don't believe a word of it.

I really don't agree with your Memphis analogy either. For starters, I'm not sure that they can truly compete against the Mavs or the Heat in a series. However, even if they can, they have a legitimate 20 and 10 guy in Zach Randolph....who has been playing better basketball than at any point of his career. They go to him when then are struggling to score and he produces. He is playing at a superstar level right now. Joakim Noah and Taj Gibson are not going to give that to us. That is the difference. They are players that you put around your superstars.

I wanted to reply to this because you made a very though-out, well-written post and seem to know your Bulls history well.

You're probably right about the Nuggets not being able to get over the hump as currently constructed. They will compete and make the playoffs, but need another piece to knock off the elite teams. I guess you probably would have wanted the Nuggets to blow everything up, start from ground zero and suffer through several cellar-dwellar seasons in hopes of landing a John Wall or Blake Griffin. That's easy to say if you're not a season-ticket holder, but if you pay money to go to the games, I'm sure those fans would rather see a mid-level playoff team than, say, the 2010-2011 Cavaliers out there stinkin up the joint.

As for Kobe, I'll be very honest. I was against trading for Kobe because he's a scumbag. But I did want us to trade Luol for Pau Gasol because we needed low post scoring more than we needed a wing player (Ben Gordon was pretty good).

Bottom line, I actually think if we could get Ricky Rubio, and send him you're way, how could you say no if Dwight wanted out? PG and C are the hardest positions to fill. I'm talking about true Centers, not Al Horford or Al Jefferson masquerading as one. Noah is a top 5 center in the East and he's still young. A young PG like Rubio plus a hard-working, athletic PF like Taj Gibson is a good foundation. A lot of teams would love to have their lottery pick turn into a Joakim Noah one day. The alternative is having your pick turn into an Epke Udoh or Yi JianLian.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1