Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Arenas; "My type of game isn't SVG's type of game"

``I feel like (Portland’s) Brandon Roy that night when he was just watching the game. I’m sitting there thinking, this is what I’m built for. I’ve averaged 23 (22.3 points), five (assists) and four (rebounds) in the playoffs,’’ said Arenas, who entered Sunday’s game at the start of the second quarter after not playing on Friday. ``I’m a veteran playoff player and I’ve put up big numbers in the playoffs before. But for my number to not get called it hurts. But like anything you don’t jeopardize the mission for one player. So whoever the coach chooses, that’s who he chooses.’’

``I’m trying to not get too down and I’m not going to lie because it really hurts,’’ he said. ``I’m watching playoff games and seeing players not even near my caliber getting minutes and I can’t even get any minutes. That hurts.’’

Arenas said the style that suits him best – freelancing in one-on-one or pick-and-roll sets – doesn’t always mesh with Magic coach Stan Van Gundy’s style. Arenas is hoping there’s some give and take in the playoffs and next season that will put him in a position to be an offensive force again.

``It’s the same with what’s been going on most of the season. My type of game isn’t Stan’s type of game,’’ Arenas said. ``I’m more like the Joe Johnson and Brandon Roy type, more pick-and-roll stuff with Dwight (Howard). But where I excel isn’t what we do. That’s why I’ve struggled so much this year because I’m not allowed to have space and beat my guy off the dribble. There’s always light at the end of the tunnel and I’m trying to stay positive and keep working on my game.’’

Outside of Dwight he was the only other guy playing with confidence last night....

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/denton_notes_042411.html

Go Magic !!!!

Did anyone see his SLAM interview where he was like "In 38 minutes, I could score 25 points, 9 and 6 assists" or something. He must have been drunk or high.

I hope SVG just lets Gil loose the next game, doesn't look like Jameer is gonna contribute **** except getting the other team fired up.

• Upvote 1

I somewhat agree with him. I love the way he gets the offense going. He looks for his shot but also is looking to get other involved. Stan doesn't give him a chance though. Stan bases his rotations off of mistakes which can kill the confidence of some guys...

I'm all for Gil starting next year. This guy plays off of pure confidence. Once he gets it going he is one of the best scoring guards in the league. It's not like he is a historically bad shooter either. And Jameer would be in the 6th man discussion for sure. He is constantly tearing up 2nd string point guards.

• Upvote 2

Let's just say this, I'm not an Arenas fan. I'm glad he sparked last night, but I have very little confidence in him over a series, let alone three more seasons at $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Not unless he takes 40 shots.

No faith. He knows he doesn't need to go for 30. But what he does know is how to get to the basket, the one thing he has done consistently in his little playing time this year. And one of the many things that all of our "ball handlers" seem to have forgot how to do. I don't care how bad everyone thinks he may be but the dude plays with a chip on his shoulder and brings it while he is out there. I'll take that over crap D and contested threes all day.

My favorite type of Arenas play: taking the ball up the court, facing token defense, then dribbling off his foot either out of bounds, or into a defender's grasp.

Yep. It's SVG's fault.

IMO it is because of SVGs system that he is trying to run. Gil is not used to such a strict style of offense. He is much better attacking the rim.

I have a feeling a lot of you will eat your words next season. Just you wait.

Actually..he's right. Not in the sense that he'll suddenly become this All-star caliber player. Its the proof that he's successful at getting to the rim on pick and rolls with Dwight Howard. Watch last night's game again and it was working well and got us back into the game.