Catman

Could be the end for a lot of guys

Really, why should we even care about what happens next season? Lockout is almost a certainty, and the season most likely won't start until January. What is the point in loading up on expensive assets for half a season, giving us little flexibility, and most likely not pushing us into title contention. Honestly, if we can't get upgrades at SG,SF, and PF or get a superstar this offseason, then we should clear cap for CP3. IMO, that is our best move going forward. There are no realistic options via trade or free agency that will get us where we want.

Clearing cap would depend on mostly two things; Amnesty clause and Gilbert restructuring. IMO, both of those things have good odds of happening. I was looking at our cap situation, and if those two things happen, we are in EXTREMELY good shape. Only Duhon, Q, Bass (PO), Gil, and Jameer (PO) are on the books (we cut Hedo via amnesty).

Steps:

Trade Jameer for Andre Miller+21st.

Why? Portland gets a younger PG with good shooting range. We get an expiring contract and a good veteran PG behind Gil. If Gil sucks, Miller can start. We also get the pick so we can offload Duhon, sell it for cash, use it maybe (although it may be unnecessary salary, but I'm sure we could offload the rook if needed).

Only player we have to worry about at this point is Duhon. Q is pretty cheap and a good veteran presence, I'd like to keep him. Bass will most likely not use his player option and sign for more money somewhere else.

I have no specific trade for Duhon, but I'm sure someone would take him, especially if we traded him with the 21st before the draft. Worst case, we package him with Bass or Anderson.

Clark has not been mentioned because I don't know how much we will resign him for. I'd happily keep him for anything under 3 million.

Anderson has a qualifying offer of 3.2 million, which leads to this question, how long do we have to extend a qualifying offer? Since we have his bird rights we could sign him even if we are over the cap, but if we sign him before we use our cap space, he goes towards the cap right? I most definitely want CP3 and Dwight in place before we sign him.

JJ is fully unguaranteed if waived before July 8th, so he would be gone.

I would hope Gil would restructure for something like 50-60 mil over 5 years, backloaded. Looking something like: 7 mil/9mil/11mil/11mil/12mil Idk.

So at this point we have:

Gil - $7 mil

Q - $2,627,400

Clark - $2.5ish mil

Dwight - $19,536,360

=

around 32 million dollars.

Sign Chris Paul for $17,779,458 (not sure what the scale is for max contracts so I just used Dwight and CP3's 2012 salaries)

=

$49,443,218

We would then have 5-9 million dollars left to spend on a good roleplayer and maybe resign Ryan.

Interesting free agents in 2012: JJ Hickson ®, Antawn Jamison (U), Jason Terry (U), Danilo Galinari ®, Courtney Lee ®, Brandon Rush ®, Darrell Arthur ®, OJ Mayo ®, Carlos Delfino (U), Ersan Ilyasova (U), Landry Fields ®, Jodie Meeks ®, Robin Lopez ®, Nicolas Batum ®, Jason Thompson ®

There are also some decent guys we could get with the vet min also.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-11-12

As you can see, most of the good free agents are restricted, and there aren't that many great ones to begin with. I would propose we sign someone with the MLE this offseason, like Wilson Chandler, etc., so our roster wouldn't look so barren.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I think it's our best bet. Correct me if I missed something, went against CBA rules, etc. The only thing about this plan is that Dwight apparently wants to win now, as in next season. Hopefully he would be able to wait.

This could all mean nothing when the new CBA comes out, though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Really, why should we even care about what happens next season? Lockout is almost a certainty, and the season most likely won't start until January. What is the point in loading up on expensive assets for half a season, giving us little flexibility, and most likely not pushing us into title contention. Honestly, if we can't get upgrades at SG,SF, and PF or get a superstar this offseason, then we should clear cap for CP3. IMO, that is our best move going forward. There are no realistic options via trade or free agency that will get us where we want.

Clearing cap would depend on mostly two things; Amnesty clause and Gilbert restructuring. IMO, both of those things have good odds of happening. I was looking at our cap situation, and if those two things happen, we are in EXTREMELY good shape. Only Duhon, Q, Bass (PO), Gil, and Jameer (PO) are on the books (we cut Hedo via amnesty).

Steps:

Why? Portland gets a younger PG with good shooting range. We get an expiring contract and a good veteran PG behind Gil. If Gil sucks, Miller can start. We also get the pick so we can offload Duhon, sell it for cash, use it maybe (although it may be unnecessary salary, but I'm sure we could offload the rook if needed).

Only player we have to worry about at this point is Duhon. Q is pretty cheap and a good veteran presence, I'd like to keep him. Bass will most likely not use his player option and sign for more money somewhere else.

I have no specific trade for Duhon, but I'm sure someone would take him, especially if we traded him with the 21st before the draft. Worst case, we package him with Bass or Anderson.

Clark has not been mentioned because I don't know how much we will resign him for. I'd happily keep him for anything under 3 million.

Anderson has a qualifying offer of 3.2 million, which leads to this question, how long do we have to extend a qualifying offer? Since we have his bird rights we could sign him even if we are over the cap, but if we sign him before we use our cap space, he goes towards the cap right? I most definitely want CP3 and Dwight in place before we sign him.

I would hope Gil would restructure for something like 50-60 mil over 5 years, backloaded. Looking something like: 7 mil/9mil/11mil/11mil/12mil Idk.

Gil - $7 mil

Q - $2,627,400

Clark - $2.5ish mil

Dwight - $19,536,360

=

Sign Chris Paul for $17,779,458 (not sure what the scale is for max contracts so I just used Dwight and CP3's 2012 salaries)

=

$49,443,218

We would then have 5-9 million dollars left to spend on a good roleplayer and maybe resign Ryan.

Interesting free agents in 2012: JJ Hickson ®, Antawn Jamison (U), Jason Terry (U), Danilo Galinari ®, Courtney Lee ®, Brandon Rush ®, Darrell Arthur ®, OJ Mayo ®, Carlos Delfino (U), Ersan Ilyasova (U), Landry Fields ®, Jodie Meeks ®, Robin Lopez ®, Nicolas Batum ®, Jason Thompson ®

As you can see, most of the good free agents are restricted, and there aren't that many great ones to begin with. I would propose we sign someone with the MLE this offseason, like Wilson Chandler, etc., so our roster wouldn't look so barren.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I think it's our best bet. Correct me if I missed something, went against CBA rules, etc. The only thing about this plan is that Dwight apparently wants to win now, as in next season. Hopefully he would be able to wait.

Shutup.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Steps:

Gil - $7 mil

Q - $2,627,400

Clark - $2.5ish mil

Dwight - $19,536,360

=

=

$49,443,218

Didn't read, lol.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Whew, that's a long read. For me, I don't care what Arenas is saying; if we have a chance to use the AE on someone, it has to be him. If not, we would be playing with fire and could sabotage the franchise for years if he chooses not to restructure. Meanwhile, I'm fairly certain we can move Turk for someone like Boozer or pair him with Anderson (and picks) to get rid of his deal.

Whew, that's a long read. For me, I don't care what Arenas is saying; if we have a chance to use the AE on someone, it has to be him. If not, we would be playing with fire and could sabotage the franchise for years if he chooses not to restructure. Meanwhile, I'm fairly certain we can move Turk for someone like Boozer or pair him with Anderson (and picks) to get rid of his deal.

I'm fine with that too, if Otis can dump his deal for capspace somehow, then that might be the better option. I think that a trade with the Cavs for Antawn Jamison could work. Maybe like Hedo+JJ+Ryan for Jamison. http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3df2v2c

We give up a lot, but Ryan and JJ would probably be gone anyway by 2012.

Hey Jareth i saw your tweet about JJ and Beasley. Do you find filling me in i couldnt find the chat Robbins was in

Shot Doctor on 740 the team wants the magic to pursue beasley. thats it. He's an idiot.