Catman

Could be the end for a lot of guys

I think if we wanted Harden, his rookie year/1st half of this year would have been the time to get him. Gortat/1st and other pieces might have done it.

Now he's untouchable if you ask me, unless you're offering something as good or better for him. Even if people don't agree he's that good, playoff performances like that do that to a guys rep.

Yeah, at the very least he has Tyronn Lue syndrome (when lue instantly became a brand name after pestering MVP iverson into a terrible finals). The main difference is Harden is actually a legitimate starter.

Eh, but Collison proved he was able to be a 10/8-10/10 guy in Seattle, whereas Gortat it was always "I wonder if he could be a 10/10 guy"

but moreso I don't think Gortat was as valuable to the Magic as Collison is to the Thunder. . . it seemed like it though because we went from Gortat to. . . Bass/Anderson at C

Agreed,

Gortat was more potential, but still held value as a solid backup center who came in for the little things backing up Dwight.

Collison put up stats, and now is doing the little things with limited minutes. But I'd say Collison had more value up until the year we signed Gortat to that contract obviously. Then even if Gortat sucked, you had people around the league going "Well, that guy is making 6 mil a year and is 7 feet tall, he has to be worth something".

Eh, but Collison proved he was able to be a 10/8-10/10 guy in Seattle, whereas Gortat it was always "I wonder if he could be a 10/10 guy"

but moreso I don't think Gortat was as valuable to the Magic as Collison is to the Thunder. . . it seemed like it though because we went from Gortat to. . . Bass/Anderson at C

I dunno, Collison's best years were less than 10 ppg and 9.5 rpg on bad teams with no good post players. I think perception back in January was that Gortat was very similar to Collison.

Devos is getting up there and wants to win a ship.......

yeah but not too long ago the RDV family and Otis smith were having serious discussions whether to resign just JJ Redick Alone....You're telling me he's going to cut a $60,000,000+ Check just to open up a spot on the roster? It's easy to say cut Gil when it isn't your money

Collison's a hustle guy and a great team player - what he does doesn't always show up on the stat sheet. I watched him play here (Seattle) for years before that asshat stole the team and moved it to OKC. He really was the heart of the team.

yeah but not too long ago the RDV family and Otis smith were having serious discussions whether to resign just JJ Redick Alone....You're telling me he's going to cut a $60,000,000+ Check just to open up a spot on the roster? It's easy to say cut Gil when it isn't your money

1st of all, I do not think there was any real discussion about that at all. I along wiht most on this board thought we would sign JJ even after Chicago made the offer. 2nd, How much more is he going to lose long term if he keeps Gilbert and D12 gets fed up and walks? $60,000,000 is nothing compared to what D12 could be worth if you team him with another superstar that is marketable. ;)

1st of all, I do not think there was any real discussion about that at all. I along wiht most on this board thought we would sign JJ even after Chicago made the offer. 2nd, How much more is he going to lose long term if he keeps Gilbert and D12 gets fed up and walks? $60,000,000 is nothing compared to what D12 could be worth if you team him with another superstar that is marketable. ;)

It still depends on what our plan is. If we're looking at improving our team with long term contracts this season we're going to attempt to organize a package for a sign and trade in 2012 rather than get a bunch of cap space. In that case it doesn't really matter what we do with gil.

Unless that $60 million also impacts the luxury tax amount...

Otis said it himself that there was discussions because resiging JJ meant RDV matching dollar for dollar in Luxury tax money....either way who knows...Billionaires can do anything they want

It still depends on what our plan is. If we're looking at improving our team with long term contracts this season we're going to attempt to organize a package for a sign and trade in 2012 rather than get a bunch of cap space. In that case it doesn't really matter what we do with gil.

Yeah it does, who is going to take that contract that besides Otis? He is useless to us unless he regains form and I have serious doubts that happens. If he does not regain his form he is a liability and not an asset. JJ is an asset, Ryan is an asset, Bass is an asset. All can be traded........ Hedo, maybe due to his contract being changed to get out of Toronto could be traded, Gil.....NO FREAKING WAY.

I may not understand what you are trying to say. Does he come off the books in 2013?

Yeah it does, who is going to take that contract that besides Otis? He is useless to us unless he regains form and I have serious doubts that happens. If he does not regain his form he is a liability and not an asset. JJ is an asset, Ryan is an asset, Bass is an asset. All can be traded........ Hedo, maybe due to his contract being changed to get out of Toronto could be traded, Gil.....NO FREAKING WAY.

I may not understand what you are trying to say. Does he come off the books in 2013?

no, what i'm trying to say is if we sign free agents who are valuable we can spend whatever money we want this offseason. Next offseason we try and convince a top free agent to ask for a Sign and Trade here. We give them Hedo (who might be worth something that year as an expiring contract), a few draft picks, a few prospects if we can find any in the offseason.

In that scenario it wouldn't matter if we cut arenas or not because we aren't looking for cap space.