Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Bass/ Anderson dilemna.....

Pretty simple guys, we went to the Finals and ECF with a stretch four playing 80% of the minutes. When we made the Finals, we had Turk playing with a stretch 4. Now we have a stretch 4 AND a good shooting guard.

The only relevant comparision I think can be made to Orlando's previous finals run is the potentially favorable path to the Finals. That team doesn't get by a healthy Boston team and that teams prospects wouldn't be any more favorable vs. the 3 teams ahead of Orlando in the East today. They each play a style that consistently gave that groups fits. But, if all falls perfectly. Chicago has the potential to be the Cleveland team that while consistently better, had serious matchup issues with Orlando, and if Boston can get by Miami, they aren't the same w/o Perkins.

The stretch 4 has never been the solution to winning it all, but I do think it gives this team its best chance to catch lightning in a bottle.

I also think you are drastically undervaluing the impact Pietrus had in that run. JRich may be a better player, but he doesn't posses the ability to take Turks man defensively, and that team goes nowhere without that versatility. This team clearly lacks the defensive ability of that team, and while it remains plausible, and certainly is Orlando best chance, hoping RA & JRich catch fire in the playoffs enough to offset the teams defensive dropoff is far from a standard recipe for success.

I think Anderson provides the better mismatches for us obviously. We love to use the stretch four lineup too. And if the guy is on then you know we can be a lethal team with D12 eating up everything in the paint.

But to say there is a "dilemma" is pushing. Bass should start. Just as he has been doing all year. Whenever Anderson starts he usually will pick up some quick fouls. I do think Ryno should get majority of the minutes on most nights though. Bass does not play within the offense at all. (A lot of you call him The Black Hole, I prefer No Pass Bass) We should use Brandon's iso skills to go to the paint more often, trying to get other teams bigs in foul trouble to start the game... Once that happens, insert RA.

Also, both Anderson and Bass often miss their defensive assignments which clearly gets SVG angry. This is the only dilemma we should be speaking of. I think this is how Stan makes his rotations also... Who he is more mad at, at that current time, will get pulled.

Oh... and if neither of them is producing lets get defensive and put EARL CLARK in the game. Dude crashes the boards and changes a lot of shots... He is an animal out there. Free EC3

The Magic scored just 72.9 points per 100 possessions against the Hawks when Collins was on the floor (79 minutes), compared to 105.0 against Atlanta when he was on the bench (113 minutes) and 105.9 for the season overall. He really does make a difference.

Start Anderson.

Even though both are bad defenders, I'd rather have the taller Anderson starting and defending Horford and bringing him out on the perimeter on offense.

This all is really moot though, if Dwight can't destroy Collins then we don't deserve to win and Dwight doesn't deserve MVP consideration in the first place.

• Upvote 1

This all is really moot though, if Dwight can't destroy Collins then we don't deserve to win and Dwight doesn't deserve MVP consideration in the first place.

I only hope he doesn't attempt to lower his shoulder on him. If there's anyone in the league that will take a dive whenever possible, it's Collins.

The fact that there are rumblings that Collins is a Dwight-Stopper is bad enough and should motivate Dwight to go out there and spank his ass black.

• Upvote 1

The fact that there are rumblings that Collins is a Dwight-Stopper is bad enough and should motivate Dwight to go out there and spank his ass black.

you said it bro! Dwight gonna destroy Lollins and then he gonna destroy any layup rose has to offer then he gonna destroy whatever pathetic frontline boston/miami is giving us then he gonna betray Bynum and destroy EVERYONE.

By "betray Bynum" I mean their close friendship:

Last year I would have said Bass, and I would have been right. This year...Anderson has gained an extra element of toughness and rebounding to go along with his shooting capability. He's the man this time.

I don't think it's so much the Hawks believing that Collins can do a great job on Dwight as it is them just not wanting Horford to get in foul trouble guarding him. Thus, they slide Smith to the 3, and move Marvin to the bench. At least, that would be my guess.

Dwight will have his way with whoever is guarding him, regardless.

I say Anderson. I don't see what Bass brings that Anderson doesn't anymore. This is as good as Bass is going to get and Anderson still has room to grow