Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Bass/ Anderson dilemna.....

If there’s anything to take away from this loss for Orlando, it’s that Van Gundy needs to explore the idea of either starting Anderson at the power forward position or playing him the majority of the time in a possible matchup with the Bulls.

One of the reasons that the Magic have become ordinary offensively this season is because the identity by which they were potent in the first place, by almost always having a stretch four on the floor, has been neutered a bit by Van Gundy’s decision to equally distribute minutes between Bass and Anderson. The problem with Bass is that he isn’t able to spread the floor like Anderson.

Anderson can give Orlando that extra oomph offensively. As it is, the Magic’s margin for error this year is small and given that Anderson does several things a tad bit better than Bass on offense, that means a lot. For Van Gundy, it’s an idea worth exploring, given that Anderson brings more to the table in a prospective series against Chicago than Bass.

It’s true that Orlando’s starting lineup is better with Bass at power forward but the league is about matchups and this is one that needs to be exploited.

Put me in the camp with Ryan Anderson and the strech "4".

GO MAGIC !!!

http://www.magicbasketball.net/2011/04/11/recap-chicago-bulls-102-orlando-magic-99/#more-8001

• Upvote 1

This should happen. Lewis was one of the main reasons we played well against the Bulls the past few seasons, so Anderson should start in order to replicate that.

this is a Legit option.....Anderson is more valuable on the offensive end that bass.....Defense is even.....I think Anderson is the better rebounder as well....I believe he should start in the Bulls series hell even the Hawks series i think he should start

• Upvote 1

Rebounding - Anderson

Team defense - Anderson (better rotations and his ability to take charges)

1 on 1 post defense - Don't know, they're both are pretty solid.

Basketball IQ - Anderson lmao

Post up / creating own shot - Bass

Clutch - Bass

Beard - Anderson

Anderson can create good mismatch problems against the Bulls and the Lakers. However, I'd still keep Bass in the starting line up against the Celtics or the Heat.

I happily join the start Anderson club. Play Bass more when it is needed against the Celtics and Heat (Bass would tear Bosh's soft ass apart). But our offensive woes to me have been more about the style shift then the player shift. The 4 out 1 in philosophy is good for more then just Howard. It gives Nelson a much better ability to break his man down because there is more space, it gives hedo better spacing to pull off his passes from the high pick and roll with Howard, and it lets marksman PF's like Anderson (formerly Lewis) get favorable matchups against slower 4's.

Let's not try to fight who we are. If we wanted to be like other more traditional teams then we would need more traditional primary players. Meer is not traditional, Anderson is not traditional, and Hedo is most certainly not traditional. And with J-Rich's 2nd in the league 3 point shooting clip, there is no reason to move away from a system that is tailored to there abilities.

this is a Legit option.....Anderson is more valuable on the offensive end that bass.....Defense is even.....I think Anderson is the better rebounder as well....I believe he should start in the Bulls series hell even the Hawks series i think he should start

And Raf, your use of Kanji in your sig is killing me man. I was always horrible with it. I can translate the Katakana just fine, but switch to hiragana dude!!!!

We've just gone in a full-blown circle with this stretch four thing. First, people begged for Bass and now they want Anderson.

I'll take whatever works. Matchup wise it seems as if Anderson would have the advantage over Bass against the bulls.

I think Anderson needs to start regardless, but especially against a team like the Bulls. Maybe even the Hawks. Gotta punish teams with immobile PFs that want no part of defending the three point line like Joakim Noah.

The *idea* of a traditional PF like Bass was good. The problem was we needed/still need a better one, certainly one who plays better team defense, if nothing else. If Ryan's three isn't going, he can do other things like offensive rebound and put back, take charges, etc. If Bass' jumper isn't going, it's almost like he gets down on the whole rest of his game. Most times lately that Bass has actually played hard and done well defensively, in the same game his jumper is dropping. Coincidence? Most likely not.

The only thing that gives me pause is.. does Ryan just flat out play better coming off the bench? Or does it just not matter either way? If he doesn't start, at the very least Stan needs to push his minutes up to 28, 30 minutes a game. 22 minutes against the Sixers, with how well he's been playing as WELL as the need to rest Dwight and possibly Bass... kinda ridiculous.